How to start DAW playback record from Model 16 Transport buttons

Ben J

Gear owned
Model 16
Hello,
When using the Model 16 as an audio interface to record into DAW (such as Logic Pro), while simultaneously listening to tracks from the DAW, is it possible to use the Model 16's transport buttons to control the DAW start/stop/record features?

No. The Model 12 will control your DAW; the Model 16’s transport will not.

OK thanks! I'm weaning myself off using the DAW in this way :) It's liberating to just use the Model 16 for tracking.

Yeah - very happy to be back doing this sort of recording. I used to fly with a razor blade! For some reason, though, I'm not very good at editing on an SD Card - they're tougher to mark and cut. :)

Reactions: -mjk-
Ah, I'd probably still edit in Logic.. just figured out how to transfer WAV files from M16 into the DAW. Nevertheless, there is a feeling of wanting to get the tracking solid on the M16 first to reduce or eliminate the need for editing :)

Yeah - I edit in either Studio One or Audacity. I was just kidding about taking a razor blade to the SD Card!

I really just like being able to record on a Tascam like I did back in the early days. I put a LOT of time in on the 246! I'd take it to work with me, transfer the tracks to 1/4 reel, make any edits I needed, then either go back into the 246, or - if it what I was working on was complete - transfer that to a master reel to go to the client, etc. It was fast, easy, and fun to work at home like that. I miss those days, but the Model 16 has brought back a level of fun to recording that I never really got with a DAW. Just an old man rambling on!

Ah, I'd probably still edit in Logic.. just figured out how to transfer WAV files from M16 into the DAW. Nevertheless, there is a feeling of wanting to get the tracking solid on the M16 first to reduce or eliminate the need for editing :)

Please share the process with the Forum so we can add to the knowledge base. That's good information and some have asked how to export to a DAW. Feel free to start a new thread on the topic. Thanks!

Reactions: Ben J
Hi, I have the Model 24, and I'm not sure if the Model 16 is the same in regards to usb midi sync.
They released an updated firmware a while ago for the Model 24 which now includes midi sync over usb. I did try it out and it just seems to start and stop the DAW. It does not put it into record mode. But it will start and stop a DAW from the Model 24 transport controls.

Cool! Thanks for that info. When I bought mine, the rep told me that (DAW control) wasn’t possible. Nice to know it sorta is.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.