Hybrid Mixing w/Buss Comp

Jimmy_James

From
Albuquerque
Gear owned
Model 24
Howdy all. I am starting to experiment with hybrid mixing, with my Model 24 and Reaper DAW. The process I am following is the one Mathew Fogel posted on this page=https://www.tascamforums.com/threads/mixing-with-model-24.7268/

My question is, what about Master Buss effects? If I route my tracks out into my mixer, and then mix down from the console into a stereo track in Reaper. What happens with the Master Buss effects?

If I do a mix in Reaper and use Buss Compression and Waves NLS. Should I bypass these effects when doing hybrid? Or will my buss effects work proper?

Using the DAW Master bus implies that you are using the mixer in the DAW. When you use a console for mixing tracks from a DAW it changes the workflow considerably, unless you are just using the console to play back the 2-mix from the DAW (and then you're only "mixing" the DAW Master bus). Typically, one does not use the DAW master bus but the console becomes the Master bus, so to speak and you monitor off the console Control Room section.

You can always do a mix with the console to a stereo track in Reaper and then work with that stereo track in Reaper in another project with the Reaper Master bus as normal, or adjust the settings in the current project to monitor the Master bus of the DAW.

Reactions: Jimmy_James
Thanks! I think I am actually following you on this. When I route the multi tracks in Reaper, into Model 24, I am not routing the Master Buss. So the tracks are not being influenced by the Master Buss plugins at all. Thanks so much, I actually think I understand.

Reactions: -mjk-
Yes, that is exactly right. Unless you routed the Master bus to the console and recorded that, how could the Master bus be recorded or even heard?

Mixing with a console also means real time mixing and not rendering your mix. I prefer that workflow because of my background, but younger engineers who have never used analog tape machines won't be as familiar with that why of doing things.

You can still use your plugins on the individual tracks but if you need that bus compressor, it either has to be available on the console hardware, inboard or outboard, or you have to add it later, during Mastering.

New threads

Members online