I got a CF card reader working with the mx2424

Nate Flanigan

Gear owned
mx2424
I got a CF card reader working with the mx2424 today.

I had something like this, that I was trying to get to work in an old sampler...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/AKAI-S6000...222467?hash=item2617eddf83:g:J-EAAOSwhyZbv-TI

I put it in one of these...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-SCSI-5...AOSwmUhdAIWC:sc:FedExHomeDelivery!19106!US!-1

To get the drive to mount I had to place it after another regular external scsi drive I have, this must have something to do with termination or whatever, I'm really not very knowledgable about this stuff. I also had to format it fat32. When I tried it formatted extended journaled form disk utility (Mac 10.14 mojave) the mx wouldn't see it. All I've done so far is smart copy a song from my original external scsi over to the cf card. It worked, and I was able to mount the cf card on my mac and pull the wav files into Logic.

I will say, it took a long time, and was no easier than rerecording the tracks using the adat outs and an adat equipped audio interface.

I'll try reformatting the drive from the mx2424, and recording to it directly, just to see what happens.

Reactions: Caveman
that sound great, itd be nice to be able to use cards to work off of hope you can record directly to the card. Thanks!!!!

It works!
I did a quick test tonight, I successfully recorded and played back 8 tracks in tape mode at 24/41 directly to (and from) the CF card without any disk errors. I don't know what the limits of the cards are yet, could it handle 12 tracks at 96k or the full 24 at 48? I guess we'll see.

Reactions: Caveman
thats great, even just to transfer for extra bu is great but yeah if it can be used to record playback edit etc cause scsi hds in sizes we need are getting harder to find and spinning out more and more.

I assumed that 50pin SCSI speeds were not fast enough for recording on the MX-2424?

50pin SCSI is narrow 8bit transfer @20MB data per second, it's fast enough for DVD backup according to the Tascam SCSI manual.

The manual also mentions Ultra2 SCSI as follows.

"LVD (Wide Ultra2 SCSI) Stands for Low Voltage Differential (also known as Ultra2 SCSI).

This is the particular type of SCSI protocol used by the MX-2424. LVD SCSI uses 16-bit data transfers and employs a High Density or Very High Density 68-pin connector. This allows throughput of 80 Mbytes/second. Low Voltage Differential (LVD) works by sending simultaneous pairs of data in a balanced configuration.

Just like a balanced audio signal, the noise is rejected when the signals are summed. Because of noise rejection, the bus can operate at higher speeds and longer cable lengths. The MX provides Ultra2/LVD performance on the internal and external bus."

Last edited:

New threads

Members online

No members online now.