I have my Tascam model 24 ....questions and comments

bert brown

Gear owned
model 24
So don't ask me why I don't like daws , sore subject

That's why I got the model 24
but I figured as long as I was resting from scrolling through menus and learning to be a programmer, I said to myself, I said "self, would it not be cool to connect this laptop to this new mixer,recorder thing"

So I downloaded the software from Tascam, but I. get a popup saying

"yeah, we're kinda workin on that October windows10 thingy"

Thing is, I have the April windows10, which Tascam says should work

Yes, I asked ttascam, no response of course

Anybody here have a workaround ?

I know, getta mac,.:...... not

Real world answers appreciated

Oh, by the way the model 24 arrived with channel 2 dead out of the box.
Never happened on any of my Tascam's and I've owned a bunch

Still its the unit I want

I'm trying to read and understand your post but to say it's vague is an understatement. Until you clean it up, "real world answers" not possible.
  • What does "yeah, we're kinda workin on that October windows10 thingy" mean?
  • A pop up really stated this when? What were you trying to install?
  • What is an "April Windows 10"?
  • Why wouldn't you just let Windows perform its necessary updates?
  • You're looking for a workaround for what?
  • Getting a Mac would resolve what?
  • If your brand new console arrived with a dead channel, for heaven's sake why aren't you returning it for refund or exchange?

Bert,
Your questions seem to be about the new, recently released $1,300 TASCAM Model 24 mixing board/24 track recorder.

If so, you may be one of the few DP-24/32 forum members who has actually purchased one.

The sense I got from the two threads that are going already on the new Model 24 is that many forum members who posted were not overly enthusiastic about getting one due to its reliance on DAW technology for final mixing and mastering.

Since you seem DAW averse, what attracted you to the Model 24 over the DP-24SD/32SD?

Last edited:
Reactions: -mjk-
In reality once you cross over to the DAW capabilities with Model 24 you can’t compare the mastering software capabilities of a computer to the DP24 or 32.

Ahhh, I see. The Model 24 becomes the mixing/mastering control surface for the DAW software. Best of both worlds.

Sorry, I assumed you were hip to the new Model 24 mixer/recorder.
Posted here since it doesn't seem to have its own forum yet.

Software in question is Tascams Model/Mixer settings panel
Downloads and installs fine, but then the popups start
First one says device not connected (funny the device seems to think so, says usb connected and usb led is lit)

Next the second popup arrives

I was paraphrasing tascams popup for brevity
The actual popup says

TASCAM Engineering is performing compatibility tests for the latest Microsoft Windows 10 October 2018 Update, Apple iOS 12, and macOS Mojave operating systems. Please check the latest test results for each product on our website at https://tascam.jp/int/support/osmedia.

October windows 10= the newest windows update (don't want it if tascam says "we're still working on it.)
April windows 10= the previous version, which I have and is supposed to work with the Model 10 (it doesn't)

After the popups I can find no path forward to use the software, hence the need for a workaround.

As far as channel 2 is concerned
replacement is in the works because
24>23
I'm keeping this one until new one is in hand because
23>0

As far as Mac , I'll quote the manual
With a MAc the standard os driver will be used, there is no need to install any software.

I don't really care if others don't like this new model, it does everything I need. Lots of dedicated knobs 16 xlrs, 100mm faders, adequate analog patching. PLUS 24 tracks of 48k/24 bit capture.

I don't really care if it ever connects to a full blown daw, but it would be nice to dump to laptop for slice and dice in audacity. I could do that by moving the sd card back and forth, just thought a usb solution would be a bit more elegant.

I do live albums, demos, industrials, voice overs etc. All can be mixed real time without a crutch. Any more demanding mix/mastering will be at Horizon or Echo Mountain

So, real world answer regarding workaround would still be appreciated.

I'm guessing if you have the April milestone release of Windows 10 and it doesn't work, then the issue is most likely specific to your PC. Hard to believe Tascam would release without drivers working in any version of the Windows OS. Being that you're an early adopter, not sure if your going to get any help here yet. Basic troubleshooting should start with disconnecting all USB devices (except for mouse and keyboard) and start there. See if there are any devices in Device Manager not loading correctly. Incidently I upgraded to the latest version of Windows 10 this past weekend and the beta driver and applications for my DM3200 which haven't been updated for about 4-5 years still works so I would imagine there would be little to no risk upgrading your workstation. Who knows, it might even fix the problem. I always make a image of my OS before any big upgrade so I can roll back if anything goes south.

I recently bought the Model 24 and am experiencing an issue when trying to record to my DAW (Cubase) on Mac running High Sierra 10.13.6

When I arm a track to record I get an error that says “ASIO driver not running”

I’ve seen a suggested fix that has you create an aggregate device in the Audio Midi Setup menu using the Model 24 as the aggregate. This is supposed to initialize any dormant driver. This didn’t work for me.

Any insight or suggestions on how to get my ASIO driver to run??

wow, I was wondering were every one is? Then I think maybe this machine will appeal to old school analog folks, who may not spend much time reading and writing reviews or needing assistance but really!, I have been watching every video and reading every review and forum entry to this minute.. There is like no one talking about this wonderful machine! I feel computers are more useful in post production and the M24 lets you break free.....

Well, I can only speak for myself, Gloria, but mousing around on computers to do the heavy lifting just isn't my thing.

I'm doing full productions within my DP-24 environment that equal or exceed the quality of what I produced in my recording studio in the 70s and 80s using state of the art equipment. I think those who have heard my work behind the board would agree.

My DP-24, along with a few pieces of outboard gear, has all the knobs, faders, buttons, production resources and audio quality that I need to get the job done to modern standards.

I'm happy that your Model 24 does the same for you. Different strokes for different folks.:)

Last edited:
@Gloria , Mark and I come from a similar background. As a record producer, the Model 24 is not the right solution for me.

The Model 24 is a 22 + 2 track recorder, meaning that it sacrifices 2 tracks for the stereo mixdown, so it's not even equal to a 24 track analog machine! I mean, what were they thinking? There's no way to route tracks within the machine for bouncing. The reason nobody's talking about it, is because the Model 24 is designed for live sound recording. Its really a FOH console, and I make studio records. Honestly, using TRS to sub-D cables, I could do far better with the uTrack24 and my Ghost (which is an actual inline recording desk) + outboard FX, if I wanted to pass thru the D/A conversion process at every point. I don't, however. Like Mark, I am achieving greater sonic results with my DP-32 than I did with the Studer A–80 and an API console, because there is no tape noise/degradation, and I can do complicated submixes and remain completely within the digital domain.

Reactions: Mark Richards
Hi, Having just Read the Sound on Sound review (Feb 19) and like no mention of how it sounds! I think it sounds fantastic and it IS an analog board.
having just left Zoom L12/20 I was a little concearned for unity gain is not very silent but You get a nice hot signal way before you reach how noisy it is....
and for that it’s a lot lot quieter then tape.

Reactions: Zepdude and -mjk-
wow, I was wondering were every one is? I think maybe this machine will appeal to old school analog folks, who may not spend much time reading and writing reviews or needing assistance

"What the Model 24 isn't is a direct replacement for the do-everything stand‑alone digital Portastudio that Tascam and others have being making and refining for the last couple of decades."

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/tascam-model-24

There it is, and that's why there isn't much excitement on the 2488/DP-24/32 forum. Early expectations unfulfilled.

Last edited:
Sorry, I assumed you were hip to the new Model 24 mixer/recorder. Posted here since it doesn't seem to have its own forum yet.....
There it is, and that's why there isn't much excitement on the 2488/DP-24/32 forum...
As it's not a portastudio, is it worth adding a new forum section for the Model 24 (under 'Tascam Digital Equipment' maybe?). Discussions will surely ramp up over time and it's all interesting info.

I think we've seen the last Portastudio.

Would Tascam customer service let us know if they have new portastudios planned, or do they keep product development plans under wraps? I was thinking of emailing them since there's nothing to lose.

Hi there - I'm a new member and new Model 24 owner.
I also am unable to get it to connect to Windows 10 using a USB cable and get the same obtuse message that they're "working on that october windows10 thingy." I may go pick up a new cable since this was an old one I had lying around. I remember ProTools Mbox being finicky on which USB cable would work.

I'd say if you're only desire is to bump your .wav files to your computer for mixing that I'd just transfer via an SD card. That's my plan to do mixdowns in Ableton.

So far I have been able to record to an SD card as well as send a "control room" mix to my PC via the microphone port to record sound in real time to a video. Decent enough sound from a live mix I think -
It will be much more interesting to see what I can do actually mixing post recording.

Overall the experience has been unpredictable but hopefully that's just my learning curve and not a psychotic machine with its' own mind. It seems to do what I expect sometimes, and then others not at all. Currently the main screen won't get passed "Tascam Model 24" and go to the monitoring screen... Currently formatting my SD card and see if that will do it.

Reactions: Dan On Drums
I like the tuning of your toms.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.