IF-AN/DM - where are the jumpers?

snafu

Veteran
From
Germany
Gear owned
Tascam DM 3200 + IF-FW_DMMK II
Hello everyone,

this is maybe a dumb question, but: I've found a "manual" for the IF-AN/DM here. It implies that I can set I/O sensitivity via jumpers. There is also an image of the card, but I can't see the jumpers.

I'd like to set them to -11 instead the default of -16 dBFS.

Now, here is the caveat: my DM3200 is build into my desk. It would take some great time and de-montaging to get to it's backside. However, I can access it's interior - to the left there is the housing of the internal 2-slot bay, covered by a platine. I am not a 100% sure, but I think with some caution, I should be able to losen it, and access the cards. However, since they're plugged in from the inaccessible backside, I can't pull them out. If I knew where these jumpers are, I could make an educated decision whether it is possible or not to set them under these more or less not so optimal conditions.

Can anyone provide a picture of the card, indicating where these jumpers are?
Thanks a lot,

regards
snafu

I could get you a picture, but I'll have to take it from Google too, so you best go there. On these pictures, you can see on the IF-AN/DM circuit board little black rectangular things with white selectors inside them (Google dip switch separately and you see what they look like). You see them in groups of 3, 2 and single ones, for a total of 32. These are the 'dipswitches' - they're not really jumpers. They have two positions, ON and OFF and you can set them with the tip of a pen. They should each be indicated with their switch number (SW 011, SW 012 etc) close to them, but I can't make that out on the pictures I found.

They are close to the card's mounting plate with the connectors - and your AN/DM must be in Slot 1, or in Slot 2 without anything in Slot 1, otherwise you won't get to them with the card installed. Might be tricky anyway - also to see which one is which. Good luck!

Thanks for your answer, Arjan. I already had some "good" google pics, but didn't know what to look for. I think I know where they are now, and what they do look like - unfortunately (if I'm not completely mistaken) I have to set them by pressing down of that switch? Phew - this could be far more than tricky - besides the AN/DM I have the FW/DM mkII installed^^

It might still work though, without having to remove the DM from the desk, but it would be very tricky. I have an endoscope cam here, so visuals should not be a problem. But the workspace surely will be...

Maybe I should put the question otherwise: by setting the sensitivity to -11dB - do I get a reasonable benefit when connecting a dynamic mic directly (!) to the AN/DM? I propably better take an educated advice on this one first, to see if it would be worth the grind...

best
snafu

To start with your last question, I think it will be problematic to get a good level from a dynamic mic from -11 dB, but it depends on which mic and what you record with it ofcourse. Guitar amped cabinet with an SM-57 in front should be OK ;-)

You could give it a try with one input channel on the AN/DM. You see on the sheet that you need to flip 2 switches to change 1 channel. 11 and 21, 12 and 22 etc. If you can find a set of two you could try, to see if you can actually flip the switch and then try if it gives you enough level. As you have the IF-FW/DM I assume it is in slot 1, so on top of this card. I wish you luck..

BTW, you don't press down on the dip switches, you have to slide them between On and OFF. Check this: https://www.google.nl/search?q=dip+switch

anyone got the manual of the analog card?

The "manual" is supposed to be online - but I remember it quite disappointing: it's been a scheme and a level setting chart. I have the latter as pdf - if that's of any use for you, let me know, and I'll send it to you.

Is there something specific you're looking out for?

If you could send me it, that would be great. Just figuring out the level settings and all the dipswitches, so many of them :eek:

i know a few folks would love a copy - if you could also post a copy in the documentation and manuals section for future use by forums members that would be super helpful!

Reactions: snafu
i know a few folks would love a copy - if you could also post a copy in the documentation and manuals section for future use by forums members that would be super helpful!

I'd really love to - but I cannot upload files directly, and am no Admin.
However: I provided links to the only two files I have.

Don't be too disappointed: as far as I know, this really is all Tascam gave to the user (the "manual" of the IF-FW/DM isn't a novel either...). Anyway: I could be mistaken, but I think there is a drawing of the card somewhere. Should I find it, I'll post it.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/tyepqd9t68ej1yp/IF-AN_DM_Ref_Level_Setting.pdf/file
https://www.mediafire.com/file/fo8sdgv5ekvbclv/DB-25_Pinout.pdf/file

Reactions: henkmeid
those links are great, thanks. the one page of jumper info is definitely useful and i have never seen it before. most grateful, good luck w it!

New threads

Members online

No members online now.