IF FW/DM (version 1, NO mkII) Compatibilities

FlanaganDavid

Gear owned
DM-3200
Hello everybody,

I'm new in the forum and really appreciate all the time and replies from all of you in previous threats (I've read so much from you guys), you really help me to understand before buying. But still I have doubts about my "new" equipment since most of you have mkII Firewire card.

I recently bought a third (or fourth) hand DM 3200 with IF FW/DM card (no mkII) for the price of 550€. (I thought it was not cheap but neither expensive price, just a fair price, without meter bridge).

Before continuing, my equipment:

- Dell Precision Tower 5810 (Xeon E5 2697 v3)
- 128 GB RAM DDR3
- 1 TB SSD
- Firewire cards: 1-. Firewire 400 and 800 Chipset Texas Instruments XI02213BZAY and 2-. Two port PCI Express FireWire Card PEX1394A2V (Texas Instruments)
- NVIDIA Quadro M4000 8GB DDR5
- Windows 10
- Cubase Pro 10.5
- TASCAM DM 3200 with firmware v1.70

Questions:

1-. In the IF FW/DM (version 1) what are the two Firewire ports for? are both mandatory to be connected/working or there are two in case one is not working? (I ask this because after many tries I've realized that the Firewire port 1 from the card is not working properly, it gives me "Status: ERROR" in the TASCAM and when I connect the firewire cable in port 2 it says "Status: OK" but still the computer doesn't recognize it. It doesn't show up in the Device Manager and can't install the drivers).

2-. Is there anyone else who made it work on Windows 10 apart from "atrem"? https://www.tascamforums.com/threads/if-fw-dm-driver-install-on-windows-10.8354/
I've tried his method many times without any success. (He has a DM 24!)

3-. In my desesperation to test and make it work I bought a second hand Intel Pentium D 3,4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 80Gb HDD with Windows XP Pro 64bits Edition to try it. The result was exactly the same than on Windows 10: when installing the drivers for IF FW/DM 1.10 for XP 64bits there is a moment when the Wizard installer asks me to connect and turn on the TASCAM, then click "next". And afterwards the installer says "no device was found, connect and turn on the TASCAM and click Next" again, and so on all the time. By the way, the only drivers I found in TASCAM website for IF FW/DM is supposed to be for Windows XP 64bit, but I can't install the drivers normally, Windows says it is not the right driver for my Windows version! (I also tried it on Windows XP Pro 32 bits without succes, the pop up window in the right down corner never appears and the Installer don't recognize it in any system). It doesn't go further because the computers (neither the one with W10 or WXp don't recognize any device connected. So I wonder if the Texas Instruments chipset is the problem and it's not recognizing the TASCAM. I've read a lot about the need of buying TI chipset in order to get the device recognized but then I found this file where they say NEC and TI branded chipsets perform badly: https://manualsdump.com/en/manuals/tascam-if-dm-if-fw/151460/40 so I'm confused, but this is not refering to the version 1 but mkII... anyway, I also have an old SoundBlaster Audigy with Firewire port, so I installed it and connected to the TASCAM in the Windows Xp computer with the same results, not recognized.

4-. I'm gonna buy a VIA chipset Firewire card to test if that's the problem because I don't have any other clue about what can be wrong. Any ideas?

5-. The last option I think I have is to buy an IF FW/DM mk II to make it work but the guys I found selling it asks me 325€! ... and I don't even know if the problem is in the card or in the TASCAM, so I'm already regreting about this purchase... Is any of you with an mkII living in the Netherlands near by Rotterdam whom I can borrow his card to test if my problem is the card or the TASCAM?

I've talked to the guy who sold me the TASCAM and he said "I didn't use it for many years but the last time I used it it worked... if it's not working that's your problem".

Please help me out! I'm so frustrated...

Kind regards,
David

Last edited:
hi david,

i dont happen to have PC knowledge, nor am I nearby to you - but i think you got good prices overall, and i am sure you can figure out what the issue may be with the help of forum folks here.

as far as regretting your investment in the mixer that is for you to decide, and many people do decide to move to other more modern solutions - but its a great mixer w many pluses and you can troubleshoot with confidence that solutions will be found.

good luck!

Reactions: FlanaganDavid
hey there, do u have access to a firewire Mac? perhaps u could test with one of those.

No firewire Mac around me... anyway the problem shouldn't be Mac or PC.

my thought was that if u want to verify whether the firewire card is faulty, a mac could be a good way to do it - it generally just works or it doesnt. wish i had more tips on the pc side for ya!

Last edited:

New threads

Members online