Initial Recording Presets for DP 32 Sd

Joanilson Rodrigues

From
Brazil
Gear owned
DP 32 SD
Hello every one. My name is Joanilson. I live in Brazil.I just bought my Tascam DP 32 Sd and believe that one of the biggest difficulties that beginning owners have is precisely with the initial equalization settings before recording.

I have watched videos such as "Boyce avenue" - for example - with simple but powerful recordings with only voice and guitar and sometimes accompanied by a "Cajon" (simple percussion instrument) with about tens of thousands of views per video. The idea is to make things simple, but with the sound as perfect as possible. I have only been there for a week with the equipment, but I do not find the initial adjustments by instrument and track quite easy.

So I would like the help and tips of you guys who are really experts and one better than the other.I know there are many experts in recording in this forum e got good results already. For these, I would like to ask: could you pass the initial "presets" that you use to the guitar, keyboard (piano) and especially the voice using condenser microphone? That would be invaluable help and would contribute a lot to the field of equipment.

I believe that if other friends of this forum could do the same it would be of great value for me. Thank you for your attention. From Brazil.

Well, dear friends. I know that for those who master these presets it is a boring task to indicate to a beginner like me in DP 32 Sd the frequency bands he uses the most. Sorry again for bothering you with these things. Searching, I found this material very interesting and I believe it could be a starting point for me. It is in Portuguese, but it is very practical for general frequency adjustment. Thank you anyway.

Attachments

• Mascaramento_e_Timbragem_de_Instrumentos_frequencias.pdf
    109 KB · Views: 2
My new DP-24SD is probably at the post office now, waiting for me to claim it. So understand that I am speaking with limited authority.

In my (limited) experience with multi-track recording, the presets are rarely useful - they must be adjusted for the project to sound best. One example is the frequency range of the recorded elements. To make the elements fit together well, even if there are few elements, the frequency ranges should be tailored to the particular mix.

I am always surprised by the surgical EQing of isolated tracks in professional recordings. They sound full in the mix, but chopped-up on their own. Voices sound affected. That huge rock guitar sound is really kind of tinny on its own.

I have recorded three CDs, in my own humble way. I don't think I have ever used the default settings of an effect.

I hope this helps you, even if only to make you feel like someone is out there to share the experience.

Hi Joanilson,

a standard setting for what you ask doesn't exist. Recording and producing audio at a level like the Boyce Avenue albums takes a lot of knowledge and experience. For the basics a video from David Wills (Proaudiodvd.com) will be very helpful. Also the numerous videos on recording and mixing from Graham Cochrane (Recording Revolution) are very helpful.

Take your time learning and experimenting.

Have fun

Rgrds,

Jos

Not very smart of me: I forgot to mention the excellent series of video tutorials on the forum by Phil Tipping. They are free and very useful.

Sorry Phil, your work is greatly appreciated. My bad....

Last edited:

Members online