Input Routing Question - DM/DAW - Best Hybrid Setup?

Jayson Wonder

From
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Gear owned
DM-4800, MX-2424, US-1641
Hi,

I am recording tracks into my DAW via the 24 M/L inputs -> Firewire into my DAW. While attempting to setup the playback of these tracks back from the DAW to the DM via RETURN 25-28 I cannot monitor audio, nor can I see meter activity although the DAW is playing the tracks back.

While troubleshooting my routing I switched /flipped channels 25-48 from INPUT to RETURN I can hear audio and meter activity.

Why is this? Logically am I thinking backwards? In my mind the already recorded tracks playing back from my DAW would be considered a return from the tape/multitrack.

What am I doing wrong? Should I have set this up as INPUTS 1-24 & RETURNS 1-24 and just flip the individual INP/RTN as required.

How should I best approach the use of my 32 channels IN/OUT over Firewire and get latency free monitoring / with effects etc. Ideally I am looking at creating the best workflow / routing / config that will provide the most flexible options and best use of tracks/busses.

Thank you for even reading this and any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Don't put too much weight on the terms INPUT and RETURN. Since they can be flipped, they have a 50% chance of being correct.. You didn't do anything wrong. Just remember the 'INP' or top line of the two is the actual input to the channel. The other part of your post should be answered by my reply in the other topic.

Last edited:

New threads

Members online

No members online now.