shredd

Soundaholic
From
7 miles west of the Middle Of Nowhere
Website
www.soundclick.com
Gear owned
2488's, DP-32 & -008(ex)
Hi all. Just saying hello: I've been haunting the forums for maaaany moons, as I've been a fanatical 2488/MkII/neo lover for over 15 years.
But I haven't been around here for quite a few years.

And NOW: I've gotten a baby brother for my beloved 'neo: an original DP-32, the one w/MIDI 'n all.

I'm finding it reasonably familiar, given my long experience w/2488's....BUT there's a few things to learn my way around...
There's some profound differences between them I've recognized already. Some fantastic, some horrifying...so it's going to be VERY hard to say one is better - they BOTH have pro's & con's compared to each other.

So I'm going to have the DP as the centerpiece of my studio for the time being, put some miles on it, and see how I/it do/does.

I've got some good info: most notably, the incomparable Phil Tipping's videos and other info, and that's going to help a lot.
And of course I'm just scouring this forum, and picking up some good stuff.

But there's a good chance you'll see me posting here n there about stuff I can't figure out myself or find answers for. Thankfully, there's plenny of you PortaStudio wizards and witches out there who've been 'round the block with this baby, so I'll be reading your posts - and hopefully availing myself of your experience/expertise.

Thanks in advance!
shredd

Welcome back!

I just started here several months ago and have learned quote a lot from pros * hobbyists here who selfishly share their thoughts and expertise. Phil T's videos (youtube) and how-to guide are also superb.

Tip #1 -- Review the "Production Tips" at the top of this forum!

Good luck making music!

Old No7

Reactions: David Porter
Thanks #7!
I'm picking things up pretty fast on the DP-32, thanks to my history with 2488's...and despite my annoyance with the DP missing some very highly-valued features of my neo, I'm definitely learning to love it, pretty quickly.
But of course I KNOW how valuable it is to have people around who REALLY know what they're doing.
And you're spot-on - Phil Tipping's videos are GREAT. So great, that I haven't looked at the incredibly poorly done/worthless manual since the day I got the DP.
At this point - just a week in - I'm just experimenting, re-defining my workflow, and transferring a few unfinished projects from the 2488neo to the DP. It won't surprise any of you who have one that one of the BEST things about the DP is its' use of a computer-friendly file system, which makes transferring data (like .WAV files) in & easy and fast. COnverting the 'neo's tracks from its native file system to FAT *.WAV files, moving them to the neo's FAT partition takes an absurd amount of time, and THEN you can tranfer them to a computer and import them to the DP...no problem if your current project had one scratch track...but a couple of songs I had in the can, well along the way with many tracks done, took nearly an HOUR to convert to WAV's, move to the FAT partition of the 'neo, and move to the computer...then took about 90 seconds to import into the DP. Not to mention the years of life a couple hours' worth of HDD grinding probably took off it's life...
ANYway. Glad to be back!!!

Welcome! I don't own the DP-24 or DP-32, as they might be a little overkill for what I do. I opted for the smaller DP-03SD, as I basically just need (at max) 8 tracks to jot down ideas with various instruments.

This forum is fantastic!

Thanks Butch!
I "started" my recording path on similar small units - my first "real" MTR's was a Fostex MR-8 (still a fine unit!).
But - as I progressed, I found bouncing and track-melding limiting, and often compromised the final outcome.
So I went to the 2488's about 15 years ago - and was delighted at what it made possible - recording many tracks simultaneously available to make a mix out of...to this day I have projects where I've used EVERY track.
The DP-32 is a looooootttta tracks...I'm not sure what kind of project I'd use them ALL on...and I DO still have projects where I can get by with 4, 6, even 8 tracks.
But it's really nice to have, and creates a lot of flexibility and possibilities!

Reactions: ButchA

New threads

Members online