I've tried everything & still no luck!

Barrel90

Gear owned
DM-4800
Can someone please run through this step by step PLEASE??? And why aren't there more Youtube tutorials about the DM 4800???

Tools:
DM - 4800 w/ the IF-FW/DM mkII interface card (Slot 1) to Pro Tools 10 (PC) via fire wire.

Goal:
via slot 1 firewire, Using PT 10 as a multitrack recorder & being able to bus any DM channel to any PT track using the output assign on Ch 1 - 24 and then monitoring back through the DM Channels 25 - 48. (25 = track 1, 26 = track 2 ect...)

I've tried every combination and still can'y assign audio to to tracks. Pro tools does see the interface. I can use the play / record, FF & RW buttons but still don't see the time code on the board & can't arm the tracks for record via the board.
Can someone go through routing output, output slots & input settings for the DM and tell me what the I/O settings are supposed to be?

I'm trying to see if the firewire is messing up or if I have a problem with the board.

On another note, does anyone know which interface I need to record from the DM to a Mackie HDR 24/96?
Thanks.

Hint, this whole set up procedure would be a great you tube video :D

Your right a youtube vid would be great, maybe some of the dm brains could make a few. For the life of me I couldn't get it and couldn't explain it either, but when I did it made perfect sense.

I can use the play / record, FF & RW buttons but still don't see the time code on the board & can't arm the tracks for record via the board.

Let's just concentrate on this for a moment. Here's what you need to do:

Close Protools. Open up your TMC (Tascam Mixer Companion) software. Click on the right tab (if it's a PC) - 'Files.'

Next: On your DM console: Hit the AUTOmation button. Bring up the AUTomation SETUP Screen. Go back to your TMC/files screen and click on SCREEN SHOT. You'll get a menu asking where you want that 'photo' to be stored. Find an appropriate folder, answer that question, and SAVE the shot.

Then: on your DM - hit the REMote button. Bring up your REMote screen - the one where your MMC settings are set. Again - go back to your TMC files/Screen Shot option, and CAPTURE this screen too. Save it to the same folder as you saved the previous ScreenShot.

Finally, attach BOTH of those ScreenShots to a message on this thread. That way, we can see EXACTLY what you've got going on here.

CaptDan

I'll get on that on Monday Dan thanks!
Meanwhile, Here is how I have the routing set up. I really should be getting signal to my Pro Tools.
On the INPUT tap
Channels 1 - 24 set to M/L 1 - 24
Channels 25 - 48 set to Slot 1-1 - S1-24

Output Slot
Channels 1-24 Buss 1 / Direct 1 - Buss 24 / Direct 24

Output tab
I've tried every combination ( slot, m/l buss) and still no luck..

(scratches head)

Barrel90 said:
I'll get on that on Monday Dan thanks!
Meanwhile, Here is how I have the routing set up. I really should be getting signal to my Pro Tools.
On the INPUT tap
Channels 1 - 24 set to M/L 1 - 24
Channels 25 - 48 set to Slot 1-1 - S1-24

Output Slot
Channels 1-24 Buss 1 / Direct 1 - Buss 24 / Direct 24

Output tab
I've tried every combination ( slot, m/l buss) and still no luck..

(scratches head)

Can't help with the ProTools automation part but as for sending audio to your PT tracks, I see you are using the BUSS/Direct method. That'sFine. It means that you are NOT using "input-bypass" AND all fader movements, pans, and effects will be recorded to PT tracks. Risky, but not exactly uncommon. It depends on what you are trying to do. Anywho....
To do that, there IS one last step to make this work and that is to assign your DM channels 1-24 to the busses 1-24. Simplist way is to look at the LEFT side of your board, in the dark Gray area. All of your output BUSS assigns are there. Don't push anything yet. All the button LEDs should be off. Now hit the "SEL" button down by channel 1 (above SOLO and MUTE) so that it is green. Now, hit the Dark gray button with the 1 next to it in the Dark Gray area. Now channel 1 is assigned to output BUSS 1. Make sure NO other dark gray BUSS assign buttons are lit. Now hit "SEL" down by channel 2. Now find the Dark Gray Button with a 2 next to it and push it. Now Channel 2 is assigned to BUSS 2. Carry-on for the rest of 3-24. Again, make sure no other BUSS buttons are lit up other than the channel you are currently assigning to the BUSS output.
Once you are done, each individual channel will have been assigned it's own output BUSS channel, and each individual output BUSS channel has already been assigned by you to go out through your SLOT 1 (FW), CHS 1-24, and into PTs tracks.
I think that was your problem. You assigned your inputs correctly; you assigned your SLOT one channels correctly, and you told PTs to expect a signal form BUSSes 1-24, but you did not actually assign the channel inputs to their respective Busses. Happens to everyone sooner or later.
S

New threads

Members online