Line input levels

Godzillinois

Gear owned
Tascam DP32
Hi everyone, just got a Tascam DP32 and have been testing it out the past couple of weeks. I've noticed that when I record the levels seem a bit low, is this normal? I've tried recording 3 different things on my DP32 all with different cables, and the recording levels barely go into the green and never the red even with the volume output turned all the way up.

If these "low" recording levels are normal, is there any way to get more clean gain? I know I'm recording all line-level stuff, but would it be ok to turn the trim knobs towards the right/mic for more gain even though I'm not recording with mics? I'm new to recording:

http://www.videosprout.com/video?id=bdd50130-a8c1-4030-ba65-625f9828c066

The line/mic markings on the trim controls are for guidance. The controls act as attenuators when fully anti-clockwise and as amplifiers when clockwise; they gradually morph between the two as you rotate the knob. So the answer is yes, it's ok to turn it as much as you need to get the meter levels as reqd. regardless of your signal source. However, with digital recordings you don't need to get the levels as high as with tape-based analog recorders. I usually aim for -12 as a nominal (average) level on the meters, although others suggest -18. The area where the bar changes color is an easy-to-spot guideline, so your example video shows the 2 track levels to be perfect. The stereo output levels on the right could do with backing off a bit, but that's under your control with the track faders. The crucial thing is that the peaks should never go into the red as this indicates digital overload, which produces very non-musical distortion, unlike analog recordings where tape distortion adds a pleasing type of compression effect. There is much less low-level noise with digital recordings so even though it seems non-intuitive having a low recording level, it won't affect the signal, whereas hitting the red certainly will.

That was an insanely informative response, thank you! Are those input levels normal? I have all the faders turned all the way up, I would've assumed doing so would have put some of the levels in the red?

Faders only affect the level(s) of what you hear ... not the level of what's recorded. The only thing that affects your recordings' volume is the gain at input ... a combination of the level of your device (mic, pickup, line level whatever) and the setting of your input gains. The only time you'll see it on the display is when you are actually recording. Once recorded, the display shows the mix levels. You can see for yourself by starting to record a track, and moving the faders up and down. What you hear changes, but the level of the recorded track doesn't change.

So ... arm your track, and play ... see where the meter goes. Adjust your input gains to the level you want (for the loudest passages). If you can't get the input gain lower on the DP, then try to adjust the output level of your line level device, and vice versa, can't get it high enough, increase the output of the device. (Not all can do this, as line level output is often not adjustable).

I agree with Phil, above, about the ideal levels. I shoot for -12db to -8db (I rarely add much in the way of EQ or FX in the box). Leaves me head room for further processing (I use a Mac and Reaper)

New threads

Members online

No members online now.