Low-cut filter: which works best for wind noise?

wenzel-t

From
lower Austria
Gear owned
Dr-40/2
Hi field recorders,

which frequency works best to reduce wind noise? I m using a DR-40 and the options are: 40Hz, 80 Hz and 120 Hz.

Thanks a lot in advance for your hints, wenzel-t

Last edited:
Hi, and welcome! The easy answer would be the highest value, but it's not always the best choice. It very much depends on your recording source: can you afford to lose up to 120 Hz or not? If recording music the answer is probably no, but with spoken word you could get away with it.. Always do a test recording (or three, with each selection) and listen back on good closed headphones.

Reactions: wenzel-t
Hi Arjan P!

Thanks a lot for your swift and helpful reply!

Have a good day, with best regards, wenzel-t

Hello,
Is a low-cut filter recommended when recording music?
I record concert band music (wind, brass, percussion) with a DR-22WL with the scene dial set to MUSIC, and when set, it presets the 40hz LCF. However, after reading articles, most people have said using an LCF is not recommended when recording music. So, is this true?

Dan

A low cut filter is recommended when you want to cut lows, of course. That would in practical terms be to reduce wind noise when recording outdoors, or to reduce truck or train sounds. Indoors, I would think there is little reason to use a low cut filter unless there was something specific, such as coupling with the mounting on a stand. Certainly not for recording full spectrum music.

How does the LCF affect music? Just out of curiosity. The recorder is usually placed on a shoe-mount on top of a DSLR camera, so there really isn't any handling issues at all. My only concern would be the environment. Majority of where I record takes place in a school auditorium, so there could be some light hum from the lights.
Does the LCF make the recording sound more "thinner" or not as realistic?

According to your post above, it cuts everything below 40Hz. Hum from lights is probably above that. I would record flat because you can always edit for whatever you need later, including notch filters.

What effect does the LCF do, though, to affect the music recording, if you recommend to not use it? Does it give a more "thinner" sound, or not as realistic?

You cannot answer that question definitively. 40 Hz used to be the dropdead cut off for all music back in the days of vinyl. The effect on the audio depends entirely upon what exists at and below 40 Hz. As I said, I would record flat - that is without the filter. You can edit the audio later if needed.

I often record outdoor and wind is often an issue. I bought a furry wind shield and found it very useful. It reduced dramatically the wind noise with negligible impact on recording level.

New threads

Members online