Microphone(s)

Discussion in 'Recording 101' started by Peter Batah, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Peter Batah

Peter Batah Well-Known Member

Montreal, Canada
    Gear:
    DM4800 / MU1000
    Hello all,

I am looking at purchasing a microphone and was hoping to get your input. However, before posting I was wondering if this sub-forum was the correct place to do so.

Thank you

Peter
  2. Arjan P

Arjan P Well-Known Member

Netherlands
    Gear:
    DM3200 IFFW
    Seems like a good place to me.. So what would you mostly want to use the mic for?
  3. Peter Batah

Montreal, Canada
    Gear:
    DM4800 / MU1000
    Thank you so much for the prompt reply @Arjan P

For the time being I would like to use the mic mainly for vocals and acoustic guitar. Perhaps, a guitar cab as well, but not urgent at the moment. And, I have a $400 - $500 budget,
  4. Arjan P

Netherlands
    Gear:
    DM3200 IFFW
    Well for that budget you should be able to get a more than decent Large Diaphragm Condenser mic. For its versatility (multi-pattern) and sound I very much like my Rode NT-2A, but my Studio Pro C1 is for some vocals also very nice.

Ofcourse mic choice also depends on the mics you already have - you'd want a new mic to possibly have a sound/ character that adds to the ones you already have.
  5. Peter Batah

Montreal, Canada
    Gear:
    DM4800 / MU1000
    This would be the first mic going into my mic locker so-to-speak. The first mic purchase since the late 70's. Sad isn't it.

I was looking at the Roswell Pro Audio Mini K47. Seems to be the YouTube superstar at the moment. I don't know a thing about the product except for what I have seen / heard online. Frankly, even if I were to buy that mic online, by the time it arrived it would have cost me $500 in Canadian dollars. So, I feel that I should be able to spend that amount on a decent mic here where I am located and help a local retailer while I am at it.

I have never used a Rode microphone but have read / heard good things. However, I am not familiar with the Studio Pro C1. I am not qualified enough to know what one should be looking for in a good mic (technically speaking)
  6. Arjan P

Netherlands
    Gear:
    DM3200 IFFW
    Ah, well if it's the first one, you'd want a versatile one, I think.

I'd never heard of the Mini K47 but just read the SOS review for it and it's pretty good. I wouldn't buy it as a 'one for all' mic though, since it has a definite 'sound' and also no low cut filter or attenuator switch. Also not multi-pattern, but that's less important IMO.

I should have written the full name, it's the Studio Projects C1, rather than just 'Pro'. Just also re-read the Rode NT-2A SOS review, and forgot to mention that it is super quiet - very hard to get noise from this one. Another similar mic, also in price, (I never tried it) is the SE Electronics sE2200a.

And 'technically speaking', I think there's no recipe for a 'good' mic. I've used a single Sony stereo electret mic for years as a room mic to record band rehearsals and it gave fantastic results - it was a € 30 mic... OTOH, there are some cheap mics on the market now that I'd only use as a door stop - sounding horrible and bad build quality..