Model 12: Adding extra instruments during mixdown?

Rocky

From
Northeast Ohio
Gear owned
Tascam Model 12
I've recently begun to use up more and more tracks with audio: vocals guitars etc, and tend to have drums via a MIDI sync'd drum machine, with bass and pads via sequenced synths.
I would normally just keep channels 7+8 or 9+10 as targets for a stereo mix of the external sounds, but I wondered if there is a way to record a mix with all 10 tracks used for audio but with some way to input the external drums/synths during the mix down (to 11/12).
I know I can have the synths plugged into any recorded track and in MTR mode with REC enabled, on playback I'll hear both the input and the track contents, but as soon as I hit the transport REC button I'll overwrite the track.
Any tips?
Ideally I'd like to record to 11/12 the following:-
  • Audio tracks 1-10
  • Stereo inputs from drum m/c
  • Stereo inputs from sound module.
Thanks, Rocky...

[bump]

Does anyone have a way/workaround/bodge to perform this pretty basic function? Having two stereo signals coming in off external devices during mixdown: the very essence of why MIDI became popular originally..
I feel I’m missing some basic setting or routing here..

I'm not sure, but my hunch is that it's not directly possible (and this is one of the reasons that some folk prefer the DP24/32s, which I think can do this - they are much more flexible in many ways, though limited in some others).

As a workaround though, what about taking your mixdown wav, exporting it, and importing it to a new song/project? Then you have another 8 tracks to play with, and your originals are still in your first song/project.

Reactions: Rocky
Thanks for giving it some thought Stew71.
That’s a pretty streamlined alternative and non-destructive too..
Nice one!

one of the reasons that some folk prefer the DP24/32s, which I think can do this - they are much more flexible in many ways, though limited in some others
Sad that Tascam removed the MIDI capability in the latest version DP24SD…. I might have considered a move to that machine…

Reactions: Stew71
Sad that Tascam removed the MIDI capability in the latest version DP24SD…. I might have considered a move to that machine…

Yes, it's baffling that they effectively downgraded the updates... strange thinking. I guess they thought 'hey, this is aimed at traditional musicians, not the dance music crowd, and they don't 'do' MIDI', but there's much more cross pollination these days (look at things like the BeatBuddy pedal, which is really a good fit for your gigging/recording solo artist or duo). I really think that Tascam dropped the ball there.

I'm fortunate to have a DP24 (the MIDI-capable one), which I picked up second hand for a reasonable price before the SD series came out, but I wanted the audio interfacing of the M12 to use with my MPC Live, as well as a smaller footprint for a small room.

But the DP24 is going nowhere yet! It's a great machine. Shame that both DP24 and M12 only run as MIDI master or I could sync one to the other - if I ever needed to. (I suppose, thinking about it, I could sync the MPC to the DP24 as I used to (remembering to leave a blank bar at the start for the clock to straighten out), then use the M12 as a tape recorder for the MPC submix outputs, meanwhile recording live instruments into the DP24... hmmm, a possibility for the future...)

I’ll stick with the Model 12 and work around this small issue for now. It’s not a big deal really, and I’m still thrilled with the unit overall. Digging your idea of stacking tracks in new ‘songs’ - this offers some excellent flexibility.. pretty much unlimited tracks which I can eventually move over into Logic Pro if I need to..
Keeping a beady eye on the DP24 used market though.

Cheers, Rocky

Reactions: Tahiche
Shame that both DP24 and M12 only run as MIDI master or I could sync one to the other

The DP-32 is selectable for either.

Hey mjk- are you aware of any midi sync workarounds for the newer DP-24/32 SD series?
I used Anatek Pocket Sync to stripe and sync a Zoom R8 using the click output - is something like that possible with the DP series?

Last edited:
I feel I've just been scolded by an irate teacher!!! ;)
Your efforts are appreciated though! I'll be sure to search first next time I have a question...

So thanks for the link - yes, that's how I'd do it with the DP-24SD (or 32SD) if I ever feel the need to migrate from the Model 12. Pretty much exactly the same method as I used with the Zoom.

Cheers, Rocky.

Reactions: -mjk-
Lol! Phil's work is considerable and he's the one to thank for doing all those videos.

That's also the way we used to do it on 2" 24 track. One of the edge tracks got striped.

The DP-32 is selectable for either.
I was curious about this, and just had a look at the manuals. I'm only seeing that the DP24/32 can send Midi Clock or Timecode (ie can't sync to an external source). However, they can both act as MMC slaves, which I think only controls start/stop and not timing.

Unless I'm missing something (very possible!) it's sadly a one-way street, sync-wise.

Members online