Model 12 Noise Error and misreading as a Model 24 (BROKEN AGAIN )

madem

Gear owned
model 12
Trying to get Tascam to help with this is like trying to get blood from a stone. Time is running out for me to get a refund so I thought I'd post about this publicly and see if anyone else can shed any light on this, or to let others know that if you have this error, Tascam wont help.

Its the same scratchy noise error that other users have reported. I get a click, like a latency error and then the sound starts to nose dive in being full of high pitched squeals and what sounds like a mismatched sample rate error. But it isnt. My system is the same sample rate across the board.

This error was happening every couple of minutes. It was making listening to an album obviously impossible, watching a film impossible. However, the error was not occurring with ASIO drivers, only on windows applications. I resolved the issue in Foobar and Media Player, but trying to listen to a podcast in my browser, for example, or use youtube, and the error is still coming back constantly.

Now I've found error messages in Event Viewer, showing that altho the system is showing its a Model 12, that the driver thinks its a Model 24. "Device started (Model 24)" and "Device Not Migrated" are the messages in the Model 12 Device Manager window's events tab.

Im using the latest drivers, latest firmware update.

Is anyone else having this same experience?

Reactions: Mark Richards
Re-downloaded, same location I downloaded from before, sadly. Uninstalled, deleted, wiped, rebooted, reinstalled, rebooted. Reset all sample rates.

Still saying Model 24, still getting the audio error.

Well ... crud ...

I reset my system to 24/44 instead of 24/48 and the popping went away. Sorry yours isn't as easily fixed.

Reactions: madem
My take is that it's just sloppy coding: taking the existing code for the Windows driver and changing it to create a Model 12 driver.. In any case it would surprise me if this has anything to do with the noise/hiss problem.

Depends what other sloppy coding they've done :) Yeah, this would surprise me if it was the issue, but I'd just really rather not send this mixer back so I'm looking at everything seeing as Tascam themselves dont seem interested. To be clear tho, just in case I'm not describing it well, its definitely a digital sounding error noise, its not hiss, and it happens in conjunction with the audio I'm listening to, like the sound is degrading.

How about the device not migrating thing? Does that sound familiar at all?

Reactions: Arjan P
Depending on where you bought the Model 12 from, you should be able to swap it out for another one to check to see if this is a problem with the unit itself or not, too.

True, but I think customer service is pushing me towards a refund tbh. I'll see how they respond next.

However, and I said this before in the other thread only to be proved wrong, but I think I may have finally tracked the issue down and got rid of it. I'm going to give it a few more days yet tho, to see if it comes back.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

The ASIO drivers work and you can record with it, yes?

Seems to be working fine otherwise. ASIO seems fine.

I've removed admin rights to all the apps, removed exclusive mode in the apps settings, removed exclusive mode from within the apps themselves, and now trying to bring the problem back.

I think I may have resolved this, but I'm waiting till later today to say for sure.

Reactions: -mjk-
So it came back with a vengeance after I again wiped every thing, cleared the system and re-downloaded everything and re-installed, just to see if I could get rid of the last remnants of a the problem.

Took me hours to get the system back to not sounding like garbage, but the same methods worked. Setting things to exclusive mode, admin privileges, and as many internal application rendering as possible.

Foobar and Media Player are finally back to being able to listen to a whole album/film.

Still nothing from Tascam. The fact I can now repeat all the steps needed to make this sound like shit and then bring it back from being useless as an audio device is quite telling.

I'm not having this issue with my Focusrite interface, nor the Zoom H5 I have, nor the Behringer USB mixer I have. Even the onboard sound works just fine.

I would document your findings and send Tascam a bug report.

Its all being sent to Tascam customer services :)

Not that its doing any good. I'm getting no replies from Tascam. I've had one reply telling me there isnt a problem, that my solutions make no sense.

Tascam are not impressing me one bit right now.

I've discovered and reported several bugs in the DP-24/32/SD firmware that were fixed. TASCAM Support has always been professional and responsive to my concerns.

When Support receives a "bug" report they forward it to the engineering department.

If the "bug" report contains a clear, succinct, and concise description of the issue, and step-by-step information on how to demonstrate the "bug", the software engineers will investigate and report back or ask for additional information.

I don't own a Model 12, and haven't followed your issue closely, but looking at the OM for the Model 12:

Simultaneous ASIO/WDM playback
The driver for this unit can simultaneously play ASIO output from a DAW and WDM output (from Windows Media Player, for example).

The sample rates of both sources must be set to the same value for simultaneous playback to be possible. Moreover, the sample rate must also be set to the same value for both playback and recording in the Windows Sound Properties.

When the sample rates are the same
(Example: Windows (WDM) at 44100 Hz, ASIO at 44100 H
z) the Windows audio and ASIO sound are mixed and played simultaneously.

When the sample rates are different (Example: Windows (WDM) at 48000 Hz, ASIO at 44100 Hz) only sound from a DAW and other ASIO sources are output. Sound from Windows Media Player and other WDM sources are not output.

When the DAW is shut down, and output from ASIO sources stops, sound from Windows Media Player and other WDM sources will become audible.

I also recall reading in the supplemental OBS Studio OM that for streaming services, the audio driver must be set to "Exclusive".

If the manuals were in error, then I would think that's something TASCAM would be interested in addressing.

Last edited:
Reactions: -mjk- and madem
Interesting. Thanks. So far, I'm being told there is no bug, and the exclusive mode is something the engineers dont think makes any difference whatsoever, even tho I've detailed how to fix this bug on my system using exclusive mode.

Everything is set to the same audio rates. I've put in another support request with a link to this thread, hoping I get someone who will take this seriously.

The fact my system is reporting the Model 12 as a Model 24 should be bug enough to warrant some sort of response?

Finally got a conversation with CS, and being asked questions to try and resolve this.

I appreciate Tascam finally getting back to me.

And just confuse things further...

If I set Reaper to record, and leave it recording, it removes the last of the errors I'm getting in my browser. I decided to try and capture the sound of the error last night, and went for hours with no errors while recording. And now again today, the errors are gone IF Reaper is recording. If I stop recording, the errors come back.

Something is very confused, somewhere, including me.

This is all about ASIO vs. WDM. Try to use ASIO whenever possible. Also Reaper can *force resolution by calling the device at the specified resolution if the checkbox is checked.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.