Model 12: track edit: how to delete section between 2 marks?

Joe Glassy

From
Missoula, MT
Gear owned
Model 12, Model 24, DR-40
Using a Tascam Model 12, I'm exploring if its possible to simply "delete a sub-section of a track between marks". Does anyone know if this is more directly possible, or possible using some non-obvious technique other than playing back one (recorded) track to another (prior empty) track and using transport controls to dictate the remaining audio? I'm well aware of the documented standard Bounce track, Track Swap, Truck Sum procedures. Routine use cases: A) clip off the initial 2 seconds of audio at start of track, or N seconds at end of track. B) Most needed use case: delete an interior section starting at Mark 1 and ending at Mark 2, ideally "re-attaching" all track audio from the pre-section, at and before Mark 1, directly to the audio post-section starting at or right after Mark 2. If this isn't currently possible, I'd sure nominate "delete track section between 2 marks" as a future feature in the Model 12/16/24 family. Thanks in advance.

I'm a PortaStudio user (1st-gen DP-32). I've had similar issues lately. Here's what it was:
Working on a song that's typical 4 minutes-plus. Recorded a git'r solo for it. But didn't want to take up storage space for a 4-minute track, for 20 seconds of playing. So I'd in/out-select the 'empty' parts of the track, and use the edit functions to "cut" them (instead of just "silencing" them, which leaves them still recorded, but with no sound...so STILL taking up a 4-minute track).
BUT doing that positions the remaining segment at the beginning of the section you cut out. No good.

MY solution: selected the time-range of the solo using in/out locate...then used the "edit" function to COPY/PASTE the segment from the track it was recorded on to an empty track.
Now the new track's entire contents consist of the 20-second git'r solo.

I'm not sure if that even addresses what your issue was - but thought it might help someone...

Don't own one of these Front-of-House mixers, but I would think that the "EDIT" section in your OM should explain how to do it onboard. If it's not in the OM, then most likely it has to be done with a D.A.W.

One of the sticky threads in the shaded area at the top of the forum may also have a solution or get you pointed in the right direction.

Last edited:
Shredd and Mark Richards,
Thanks much for your thoughts on using the Model 12 to perform a deletion or clip betweeen 2 marks. this. For now I'll go back to doing these sort of edits in the Studio One Pro DAW.

Reactions: Mark Richards
I do have the Model 12 Portastudio and you definitely cannot do that level of editing within the unit.

I do have the Model 12 Portastudio and you definitely cannot do that level of editing within the unit.
Careful with specific buzzwords! The Model series is exactly not a Portastudio (portable audio studio), because it lacks many of the pieces to finish the workflow from record, overdub, bounce, edit, mixdown to mastering of a complete song. Nowadays these are the different DP (= Digital Portastudio) series of Tascam.
As others already explained, the Model series are live mixer with very reduced editing capabilities. Specialized on their scope (1 knob per function): A nice standard/legacy live mixer.
Better avoid the term Portastudio in this forum. It could mislead additionally interested readers.

Reactions: shredd
Thanks, it does everything all my early portastudios did, and I use it daily exactly as a portastudio. I think of it as such, and it’s been accepted and reviewed many times as a modern day portastudio over the last few years. It’s how I came across it in the first place, SOS review or the like..

Cheers though - don’t want to upset the moderators.

This "is it"/"isn't it" was hashed out in this forum years ago.

TASCAM doesn't market the Model series as portastudios because the 12/16/24 don't have the production functions of the modern DP series portastudios, as discussed here.

Last edited:
I'd have a DP unit now if it had MIDI - this one thing makes the Model 12 more of a Portastudio in my view.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.