Model 16 scratchy tinny noise

Afro Lektronik

Gear owned
Model 16 Mixer
Hi, please see if you can help me,

So, encountering an intermittent scratchy / tinny noise coming from the Model 16. When I play the computer through headphones without the Model 16 (eliminating the Model 16), no scratch . When I play the computer through the Model 16 but with headphones on (eliminating monitors), there is still the scratchy noise. I have reinstalled the firmware, turned off the Bluetooth ( for any interference), and there is still this scratchy noise.
And it only happens when streaming sound from the computer.

Is anybody familiar with this issue? I know someone started a thread about it earlier, but they never got to post their solution.

Much Appreciated,
Afro

Reactions: Freebird
Yes, I have this same issue with my Model 12, but have not been able to resolve it.
Received alot of general solutions that I have already tried, but no solution that have fixed my problem.
I can only think it has something to do with the USB connection.
Let me know if you find a solutions and I will as well.
Thank you.

Could it really be about the length of the USB cable? ( I do have mine connected to a 3.5 metre cable connecting to a PC only 1.5 metres away...) I cant work out a logical reason why long cables should be a problem with just this brand of mixer ;-)

I have not had this issue with Model 24... BUT... I DO KNOW THAT A TOO LONG USB-cable CAN create issues similar to this one... and not only correlated to Tascam Model Series, but also to other audio equipment connected to each other!

I'm also HIGHLY interested if someone can clarify this issue... IF it would ever occur in my own system!:eek:

My "uneducated" answer would be that... "The longer the cable... the more abilities for "outside electronical sources" to create "havoc" inside other electronical devices!?o_O

A little bit like the same problems that occur when using "single-coil" versus "hum-bucking" pickups in a guitar.

"Single-coils" = humming issues...:mad:

"Hum-buckers" = NO humming issues!:geek:

Any "electronical-wizard" around at this forum??? ;)

Last edited:
My Model 12 is close to the computer and have only a 3' usb atttached to it, so I don't think it has to do with the lenghth of the cable.
I tried disconnecting and reconnecting it, to no avail.

Chad Mullet...

Yeah... that's about the length of my own USB-cable... and THAT one does NOT create any problems... STRANGE INDEED!

Try plugging the usb into a different usb socket on your computer if you have one free,i had similar issues with a focusrite scarlett interface as soon as i plugged into a different socket it cured it, focusrite said it was to do with the distance of the usb input from the motherboard, just a thought.

Robin Courtenay, I tried that and not sure if it had fixed the problem permanently, but I have not heard the issue for about an hour so far.
Thanks for the suggestion

So, I've just changed the USB connection from a hub ( that is connected to the back of the PC) to a direct connection at the front, and I'm still getting the scratchy noise ;-)

I know the hub would be a bad connection. I had mine in a 2.0 usb socket and switched it to a 3.0 usb and it seemed to help since I am not getting that sound anymore so far. Not sure if that was the problem, but maybe give that a try.

Try plugging directly into the back of the computer.The guy from focusrite told ne that thismis better than plugging into the front because its closer to the motherboard.

Just wanted to chime in here. I recieved my Model 12 on Saturday and have done some recording it's an AMAZING mixer and so far very intuitive.

That aside, I connected it to my PC this morning and it had a terrible noise when playing any audio through it from the PC (this included MP3s, CDs and YouTube). I'm not sure I'd call it scratchy exactly but for me it was more like certain high frequencies jumped out in a very harsh way, a bit like no de-essing was ever applied, the T's and S's really hurt my ears.

If you have this issue, I managed to fix it using this method:

- Applied new firmware 1.21 (I was on 1.1 originally)
- Installed driver 1.20 (Windows for me, initially I just used whatever windows installed automatically)
- Turned off mixer, restarted PC, turned on mixer

Following that process everything sounds perfect.

Hope this helps someone, good luck!

A thought... Afro Lektronik. Have you installed Tascams own USB driver? If so check that both windows and Tascam are set to use it. Using windows own drivers may cause unwanted noise.

Hi Freebird, you might be on to something here....but how do I check for both Windows and Tascam that they are using the driver I installed? ( On the control panel for Tascam, it says driver is1.20 0016 and firmware is 1.31 - I installed them myself before starting use of the unit. But how do I check which driver Windows prefers to use?

I've just gone to device manager, and the following were listed as sound controllers:
Intel Display Audio
Midi Thru 7 ( this is my Midi network controller)
Model 16
Model 16 MIDI
NVidia High Definition Audio (x4!)
Realtek High Definition Audio
Rocket ( This is a small synth that is powered directly by the PC)

I have now disabled all the NVidia and Realtek ones, and put on some music. Let you know in a few hours if any tinny scratches.

Last edited:
High again Afro Lektronik.

If you have Windows... right click on the speaker icon in system tray on the desktop. Chose "Audio Setup" or what it says in your version (I obviously have a Swedish Windows so it's spelled a bit different. There you SHOULD have several options if all drivers are installed alright. Choose Model 16 as both in-data and out-data.

Are you using any DAW? If so... go to preferences audio/midi, and choose Model 16 ASIO. If you only use a regular audio-player the same thing there. Since you have 16 channels available on the mixer you should also check in your DAW/Player how the channels are assigned. To be able to use more than 2 channels you need the ASIO driver to be functional.

AS for NVidia and Realtek I think you can leave them on in the device manager as long as you choose ASIO in your DAW/player and Windows audio setup. At least I have them on and it works for me. It's easier that way in case I sometimes don't have the Model 24 connected and only want to do some "UTubeing" and/or other internet stuff.

Many USB audio problems are caused by 2 basic issues: drivers and background processes. Make sure that all your hardware firmware and software are up to date. Use ASIO drivers that are provided by the manufacturer. Reduce your computer's background processes.

You may want to disconnect from the internet and turn off anti-virus software. Also, turn off Google sync and other cloud storage services as they will regularly check if your internet connection is enabled. All those background processes can potentially disrupt the audio.

[@Freebird, Yeh, no doubt you're high again, I know your preferred diet! ;-) ]

All, Listen - so, I haven't heard a scratch since yesterday, and I've been playing some pretty high sequencer frequencies all day (the album's called Timeline Incursion, by Hosianna Mantra). So, I guess maybe 4 versions of NVidia was a bit too much demand on RAM, or they were all competing for priority.

Thanks very much for your timely support and guidance, everyone!

He... yeah Afro Lektronik... that's is definitely my kind of "diet"!

WHOOPS.... Yeah... I guess that to have 4 different versions of the same audio driver is a bit "over the top" for what to expect the system to handle without any problems!:D

Sometimes there is "things going on behind the scenes" that we as "musicians" don't really understand or are oblivious to... since we ALL are...

..."People whose only concern is with MUSICAL developments... and NOT with "technical aberrations"! :rolleyes:

Glad to see that you "hopefully" have solved the problem!!!:):D

If not... please come back and and ask again!;)

Last edited:
I know this is solved but here's another to add...

I too subsequently had a simlar odd noise issue over the past few days. I had cracking and popping here and there, sometimes it was fine for a few mins and then suddenly it was crackle/scratch/pop again.

Turned out there was a mismatch on the bitrate... PC was outputting 48kHz/24bit and M12 was working on 44kHz/24bit. I only picked up on it because I created a new song on the M12 in 16bit and it then threw up a mistmatch error. Once I adjusted the M12 to match the PC's bitrate all the unexpected noise stopped.

I think you could adjust it the other way, ie, drop the output from the PC but the key thing is to keep everything matching which is of course completely obvious once the problem's fixed!!! I think it wsn't immediately obvious for the most part because the conversion was working 99% of the time even if the rates were mismatched!

Reactions: -mjk-

New threads

Members online

No members online now.