Model 24/16/12 Wish List / Feature Requests (Although Tascam Won't See Them)

you may as well wish for a unicorn

Gibson own Teac/Tascam......

look at their record of running companies they aquire into the ground

Reactions: Phillip Holbrook
Yeah probably. I for one am hoping that

- Tascam retains a touch of autonomy (maybe...ownership is partial?)
- Tascam engineers are a dedicated bunch who love this stuff (likely)
- and (maybe) read this forum

about half the of the things mentioned here are likely possible via firmware

Hi,

I would like to suggest Tascam to add MIDI sync and MTC slave option, to use with Recording. a Also proper implementation of MMC would great as well.

I am using it with a few DAW and MIDI devices, and not all of them support MTC, but all of them support MIDI clock. Also MTC slave would be a nice option for users of Logic Pro. (although Logic Pro can be slaved by MTC, it does not seem to work well with Tascam Model 24 based on my initial try)

Perhaps Model 24 can utilise already implemented "marker" function to "tag" project tempo and start and end position as well?

MMC, would let other sequencers to have control over start and stop, and record function of Tascam. If MMC is difficult, perhaps make them MIDI assignable?

All of these should be possible within the specifications of Model 24, and it would help my workflow a lot.

Thanks!

Reactions: Rocky and MrFeenix
There may be a way to do it by saving a copy onto the Mac using storage mode, but that requires 1) having the Mac on and 2) the T12 always connected. I may try it with storage mode to see if it works.
I just tried this... I created a blank project on the Model 12, with BPM 120 then went into storage mode and duplicated the new folder. I deleted all the content except the song.sys file.
When I return to the Model 12 I now have two blank 120BPM projects. I suppose I can create however many I like to use as 'templates'.
It's kludgy for sure, but workable.

Reactions: Phillip Holbrook
This is how templates are used on the DP-24/32/SD portastudios (except sample/bit rate setting)
  • Create and save a template with desired parameters
  • LOAD template
  • CREATE a new song, accept or change default sample/bit rate, name new song.
All set to go. The parameters of the template migrate to the new song.

Perhaps TASCAM did same for the 12/16/24 series.

Last edited:
the option to connect two model 16's to create a 32 with two work stations.
say one next to the drummer and one for the rest

That would definitely sell some units... knowing that as your project studio grows, you can link multiple Model units and your console grows with you.

I would love to see DAW software designed to work in tandem with the hardware. All mixing could still be done within the unit but you can visually view the tracks and maybe edit them on your computer. My current workflow involved importing/exporting files between the M12 and my computer and then using the M12 as a DAW controller.

That's the other improvement that would sell more units for Tascam!

I would pay up to a couple hundred dollars if I could send 8 channels or more from my iPad to my Model 12. Digital output from AUM would be fine. Hardware or software, either way I should be able to do this.

The iConnect Audio4c will do it but it's too much money and I don't need all the extra preamps and A to D etc. engineering. I already bought a Model 12 "digital mixer."

Have you tried hooking it up with the camera connector? There was a guy on Gear Space who had his M16 (it may have been an M12, actually) working with his iPad, so I would suggest giving it a shot.

First, thanks for responding. Second, I did try a lightning to 3c cable. I still have some futzing around to try, but it seems there should be a straight-forward method.

I believe I found the discussions on gear space that you're referring to. I may post my inquiry there.

much appreciated.

Reactions: Rocky
There's a few things I would like to see on the next (hopefully Model 32). Most importantly, I hope TASCAM stays true to it being a DAWLess recorder where it can be fully used without being tied to a computer or software. That was the attraction for me and many others that purchased the Model 24. I'd also like to see a VGA output so a computer monitor (bigger screen) can be used versus the tiny LCD screen on the Model 24.

Since we're dreaming big, how about a meter bridge or at least segments on each channel near the fader? Mackie used to do this (for budget boards like this).

There's a few things I would like to see on the next (hopefully Model 32). Most importantly, I hope TASCAM stays true to it being a DAWLess recorder where it can be fully used without being tied to a computer or software. That was the attraction for me and many others that purchased the Model 24. I'd also like to see a VGA output so a computer monitor (bigger screen) can be used versus the tiny LCD screen on the Model 24.

along those lines, I’d like to see a large, external jog wheel—I fear the little one in the board is going to give up one day from al the twiddling!

Model 12 owner here. My wishlist:

1) Ability to assign stereo DAW output straight to the MAIN bus (as you can with Bluetooth sources). That would keep channels 1- 10 available for other input sources.

2) Ability to use basic transport controls with (play, stop, rec, etc.) with DAW even when not in DAW mode (as DAW mode turns off certain mixer functionality).

3) Ability to trim MAIN and SUB outputs digitally to account for different monitor speaker input sensitivity.

I've not yet received my Model 12, which I'm looking forward to pairing with my MPC Live as an interface in a two-way affair (ie, recording to and from both, and of course using each in isolation at times, in combination at others).

Based on what I've seen and read, the main feature on my personal wishlist would be the addition of takes per track, to allow for bouncing and storage. I use this feature a lot on the DP24, for example bouncing all my keys /guitars/whatever to a stereo group file, hiding the individual takes, then reusing the original tracks for something else.

I can of course effectively set this up with the MPC storing takes as separate samples, but it would be great to have it built in to do it natively.

I just spoke to a friend of mine yesterday, who was about to get a Model-12 for his birthday, but the whole Model xx line is impossible to obtain (here in Europe anyway). In fact, he now owns a Zoom LiveTrak after hearing from a good supplier source that deliveries may only pick up in June 2022..

So, I guess his wish would have been: 'To be able to buy one..'

Reactions: Stew71 and Logrinn
Man that stinks. A lot of weird supply chain disruptions going on.

Here in USA the major sellers seem to have stock of M12’s at least for now. But all semblance of on sales/discounts are long gone.

The Zoom units get good reviews. I haven’t compared directly to Models but like their metering on each track next to fader and provisions for 5 headphone jacks.

I just spoke to a friend of mine yesterday, who was about to get a Model-12 for his birthday, but the whole Model xx line is impossible to obtain (here in Europe anyway). In fact, he now owns a Zoom LiveTrak after hearing from a good supplier source that deliveries may only pick up in June 2022..

So, I guess his wish would have been: 'To be able to buy one..'

I had one on order for a couple of months but cancelled it as it kept getting put off. It was a pretty good price too - £484, and the same supplier is now listing it as £500-odd.

My intention was to use it with my MPC Live. But I've heard that the Akai interfacing isn't 100%, and I already have a DP24 that I can bounce or record to and fro anyway - not quite as slick as a working multitrack interface would be of course - so I'll stick with that.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.