Model 24 Control Surface in Cubase

Jurajpet

Gear owned
Model 24
Hi all,
I got my new Model 24 and I have learned step-by-step using it stand-alone and also as audio interface with my Mac and Cubase Pro 8.
I have managed, after overcoming several obstacles, to setup the system to be able to make multitrack recording directly to DAW and also playback and control separate recorded tracks back in Model 24.
However I am not able to setup Model 24 as external control surface for Cubase (for mixing, equalizing etc., e.g. faders are not moving in Cubase mixer, when I move them on Model 24).
I cannot see Model 24 in Remote Device setup window...
Do you have any hints how to do it? Is it possible via USB midi? I don't see this information in the manual.

Hi Jurajpet,

Unfortunately you can't. It's not a feature of the Model 24. It is an analog mixer and the faders are not motorized, etc.

Having said that, I would have definitely paid much more to have a version of the Model 24 that could also be a control surface.

Reactions: -mjk-
Thanks for reply, telengard... Good to know... It is a pity... I knew that Model 24 is analog "with digital features" and one of the reasons why I have chosen this gear was, that I have expected that at least some basic mixing control surface features will be available (e.g. I understood that from Sweetwater product presentation video...).
I was not expecting moving of (non-motorized) faders on Model 24 (receiving signal back to unit from DAW), but I expected that manual moving of faders on Model 24 will transmit signal through USB to Cubase.
I have some other older gear (Boss BR-800) with control surface for Cubase, which I can still use for postproduction mixing, but it has less inputs/outputs and no knobs for eq...

The funny thing is, my DP-32 can be used as a control surface. I have it working in Cakewalk Sonar. But the new model 24 can't control anything but audio passed through it. Unfortunate.

At $900 Model 24 costs about the same as a 16 channel DAW controller.

Dan, I don't own one. But for certain, it is not a control surface. You can play back DAW tracks through it and mix but you are passing audio through the console and not moving the faders on the DAW. I'm a big fan of mixing out of the box, so I use a console to mix tracks played back in Reaper. But I record on the DP-32 because it's so fast and easy.

Reactions: Dan On Drums
Having said that, I would have definitely paid much more to have a version of the Model 24 that could also be a control surface.

That would be the Behringer/Midas X/M32.

hello! , why model 12 is possible to use in cubase moving faders and panning knobs and transport control and in model 24 is not possible?

for what is the midi time code so?

Thanks for read !

Wow, Toms... This feature should be implemented also to Model 24... I hope it will possible in future OS update...

Model 12 is a digital mixer - it offers digital control for all aspects of the signal flow on each channel strip, translating to the same controls in your DAW.

The Model 24 and Model 16 are analog mixers - they only offer digital effects and recording sections. They do not have the capability to send any control signals via their channel strips to a DAW.

MIDI Time Code is used to sync recordings with other gear, etc.

Thanks, I thought that Model 24, 16, 12 (as they look similar) have the same architecture and that Model 12 (as newer one) has just some additional features, which could be also implemented in their older brother...

It's Tascam's own fault. The name and look is very similar and that's where it ends.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.