Model 24 Overdub Limitations

Tina

Hi forum,

I did search the forums before posting this, but could not find a clear answer.

I understand that the Model 24 can record 24 simultaneous tracks, but is limited to 8 tracks, when overdubbing.

For example, if I were to record a couple guitar tracks, and a bass line, then wanted to put down drums, which require 12 tracks, am I able to arm 12 tracks or only 8?

Thank you for any assistance.

wherever did you read this?
I understand that the Model 24 can record 24 simultaneous tracks, but is limited to 8 tracks, when overdubbing.

Reactions: -mjk-
I read it right here:

https://www.tascam.eu/en/model24

Under 'Features at a glance', 'Recorder Features'.

The term 'punch-in' and 'overdub' are different in application, but can be similar.

Lets assume the M24 can overdub 12 tracks. I record 4 guitar parts, and then add a drum track consisting of 12 tracks. There is a big gap in the arrangement of the song, that allows me to redo the second section of drums, that is about 4 minutes into the song. I'm guessing I cannot 'punch-in' the drums, as it states '8 channels maximum'.

Or does Tascam also mean, that it cannot 'overdub' more then 8 channels, in which case, after recording 4 guitar tracks, I cannot record 12 tracks of drums?

Is there something I'm missing here?

Can anyone who owns an HD24, with a song / project that has 12 tracks still available, confirm this operation?

Thank you,

Tina

'Model 24 allows the users to directly record to an SD card, 24 tracks simultaneously in 24bit/48kHz, and it is capable of punching in/out 8 tracks at the same time.'

Hi Tina, welcome to the forum. Tascam manuals are notoriously bad so you did the right thing coming here.

Someone with knowledge of the M24 will be along shortly.

As to your situation, it says it can record up to 24 tracks simultaneously so I reckon you will be able to record your 4 tracks AND later record the 12 drum tracks as well.

I preface this by saying I don't have this desk so am making assumptions based on what the manual says ....

Reactions: dctdct
I read it right here:

https://www.tascam.eu/en/model24

Under 'Features at a glance', 'Recorder Features'.

The term 'punch-in' and 'overdub' are different in application, but can be similar.

Lets assume the M24 can overdub 12 tracks. I record 4 guitar parts, and then add a drum track consisting of 12 tracks. There is a big gap in the arrangement of the song, that allows me to redo the second section of drums, that is about 4 minutes into the song. I'm guessing I cannot 'punch-in' the drums, as it states '8 channels maximum'.
Tina, I concur with what @BazzBass that Tascam manuals are... a starting point. Nothing more. But even if I don't own a Model24 (instead a DP24 and other Portastudios), I read the following out of the manual:
1) you can recorder simultaneously max. 22 channels (not 24), because the master stereo channel is 23+24 and not separate
2) you can add (overdub) as many tracks as you want, as long there are free tracks, to an existing song
3) it seems you cannot punch in (replace) more than 8 tracks per run into existing tracks

Hopefully someone with such a machine (or Model 16, which is very similar) can confirm or deny #3. I'm also curious.
Valentino

Hi BazzBass and dctdct,

I received information from a Tascam representative that indeed, the Model 24 is limited to 9 tracks for multi-track punch-in recording. It says 8 in the manual, but this is a misprint.

I hope this information is useful to others when deciding if the Model 24 will meet their recording requirements.

Tina

Reactions: -mjk- and dctdct

New threads

Members online

No members online now.