Model 24 overdubbing

Brute Coan

Gear owned
Model 24
How do I overdub? I searched the manual and could only find how to punch in/out??

"Overdubbing" involves playing back one or more recorded tracks while recording new material on one or more new, empty tracks. It's done to add additional components to the song.

"Punching" involves recording new material over a section of old material on a track already recorded. It's done most often to correct a mistake in the performance of the song.

Which is it that you want to do?

Reactions: Brute Coan
Thank you kindly for helping me I wish to overdub.
On this project I have an FM synthesizer (Elektron Digitone) into the stereo channel 13/14. I begin with a lower, bassy pad patch and wish to overdub a mid range patch and another overdub that is filtered using a high pass on the synth. I'm modulating each of the three patches and wish it to create a stereo pad drone patch.

I record these drones using Maj 7 triads.

I then plan to improvise on top of this pad with my guitar, which I am going to record using two microphones to record the output of my Roland JC120.

"Overdubbing" involves playing back one or more recorded tracks while recording new material on one or more new, empty tracks. It's done to add additional components to the song.

"Punching" involves recording new material over a section of old material on a track already recorded. It's done most often to correct a mistake in the performance of the song.

Which is it that you want to do?

Mark I'm sorry. I just reread and misunderstood overdubbing. I thought overdubbing was like on a looper pedal or a sampler where I could add to the existing track.

..a lower patch...a mid range patch...a high pass on the synth...to create a stereo pad drone patch...plan to improvise on top of this pad with my guitar

So it looks like "Overdub" is what you want to do, yes?
Basic Example:
*Record first signal on Track1.
*Place Track1 in playback.
*Record second signal on Track2.
*Place Track2 in playback.
*Repeat on Tracks 3&4 for remaining parts.
*Send Tracks to the Main L/R Bus
*Play back Tracks using Track faders to blend/balance.
OR
*Send signals on Tracks to the Submix Bus.
*Send the Submix Bus to the Main L/R Bus.
*Play back Tracks, using Track faders to blend/balance and Submix Bus fader to set overall level.

If source is stereo, use the stereo tracks instead.

Last edited:
This is super helpful. I'm going to attempt just what you have laid out in detail. I'm very thankful for your help Mark.

Reactions: Mark Richards
Good luck. Hope it gives you the result you're looking for.;)

New threads

Members online

No members online now.