Monitoring through stereo headphones

Captain Rich

Gear owned
DP03SD, 424
Hello everyone, I bought a new DP03SD and am enjoying it for my recording of original songs. The one concern I have is when I am monitoring tracks back through my stereo headphone and adjust the panning knobs, I’m only hearing mono out of both sides of the headphones. However, when I export the mastered recording to my computer, it’s fine when listening. Am I missing something when monitoring? Never had this concern with my 424 from 1992.

By adjusting the panning knobs, you mean you put them completely L and R, do you?

No. I’ll pan various tracks at 10 or 11 o’clock left or 2 or 3 o’clock to the right depending on the stereo image I’m trying to create. I just don’t hear the stereo image through my headphones. Only mono on both sides. When I export the master to my MacBook, it’s fine and I hear the stereo image. Sometimes a tweak needs to be done, but overall the exported master is good. Thank you.

I'm asking because on my similar device (DP-008EX) to monitor two track as one stereo record, you have to put the PAN knobs completely L+R. Our user guides say in the examples: Use the TRACK 1 PAN knob to set the stereo position when monitoring.

To be more specific:
For the recording run, the PAN knobs doesn't matter, but for the monitoring.
For the mixdown then, I put PAN position of the different tracks as desired in the panorama of the master track.
During the monitoring check (playback) of the stereo master track, I turn the L+R channel knobs completely to L+R respectively, to get each channel only on L or R channel out, not mixed up in the middle.

We have to be aware that these type of Pockestudios don't have combined stereo tracks, rather just 8 mono tracks.

I will try that. I got so used to using software to record tracks that I forgot about working with a Tascam Porta studio. They are a different format. Thank you for your suggestion.

New threads

Members online