New firmware -V1.6/1.7- for the DP24/32SD. Now removed

Eric Guicherit

Gear owned
Tascam DP24SD
Firmware V1.06
  • Manual punch in/out transport operations would become slow. This has been improved.
  • A "Read Timeout" pop-up is now shown when an SD card cannot be read fast enough.
    "Read Timeout" could appear when the number of files becomes great in a song that has been edited, for example, many times.
    If this occurs, it could be resolved by importing and exporting each track to consolidate the files.
  • Operation stability has been improved.
https://tascam.jp/us/product/dp-24sd/download

And V1.07 for the DP-32SD,

...and V1.20 for the DP-24.

Oddly... I'm not seeing new firmware for the DP-32. Seems odd that they would have new FW update for the other three but not the DP-32. Can anyone else confirm this?

Last edited:
I've already updated my 24 and 32SD. Thanks!

It's interesting that they added this:

"A "Read Timeout" pop-up is now shown when an SD card cannot be read fast enough.
"Read Timeout" could appear when the number of files becomes great in a song that has been edited, for example, many times.
If this occurs, it could be resolved by importing and exporting each track to consolidate the files."

Speaking for all of us.... "yeah, thanks... we figured that out already" :D

But at least they have added a display message so we know that's what's going on.:)

Thanks Eric and David. Off am I to TASCAM.com.:)

Reactions: -mjk-
Thanks for the heads up Eric.

Oddly... I'm not seeing new firmware for the DP-32. Seems odd that they would have new FW update for the other three but not the DP-32. Can anyone else confirm this?

I cannot find a update for the DP-32 either. Furthermore, each repository around the world has different files available. I've never seen a more fragmented infrastructure than Tascam. For example, the latest version for the DP-32 is 1.10, but it's only available from the European site:

https://www.tascam.eu/en/downloads/DP-32

There is also an updated media list on that site from January of 2019.

Update: this is the updated approved media list:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190704-122354_Moon+ Reader Pro.jpg
    Screenshot_20190704-122354_Moon+ Reader Pro.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Someone at TASCAM screwed up on follow through. The "latest" firmware version for the discontinued DP-32 (1.11 - 6/28/19) has the description for v1.20.

D/L "v1.11" and if you open the zip file you'll see the release notes, etc. reflect v1.20.

That said, given the naming screw up I wouldn't trust that the 1.11 and 1.20 FW update file are actually the same.

Last edited:
Latest Firmware Caveat re "Read Timeout"?
It may be essential that the edit.sys and song.sys files be unaltered new files that can only be had by creating a new song into which the Audio Depot files must be imported.

Test Scenario
DP-24
FW updated from 1.19 to 1.20
32gb Sandisk Extreme Pro 95MB/s SDHC V30 3/10
SD Card formatted under v1.19 and NOT Reformatted for v1.20
26.5gb free
Song Size:1.023gb
24 Virtual Track #1s (instruments and effects)
14 Virtual Track #2s (vocals and effects)
Multiple edits, punches, etc.

All virtual tracks had been exported, all the tracks were cleaned, and the exported tracks were imported back to the original virtual tracks (#1s and #2s) of the original song. All unused snippets are deleted from the song folder. This is my protocol for final mixdown/mastering.

Mixdown Mode Process
Consolidated 24 Virtual Track #1s in Mixdown to stereo master backing track.

Stereo Master backing track imported via Audio Depot to an empty stereo Virtual Track #2.

Consolidated 14 Virtual Tracks #2 in Mixdown to stereo master vocal track.

Stereo Master vocal track imported via Audio Depot to an empty stereo Virtual Track #2.

Stereo backing track and stereo vocal track combined in Mixtown mode to stereo master for finalization.

No issues.

Master Mode Process

Combined stereo master processed in Master mode for finalization tweaking with mild compression and EQ.

At the end of recording the finalized stereo master, the new "Read Timeout" popped up, preventing the Mixdown/Mastering button from working. [Edit] On a second test, this button press did return to Multitrack mode, but still did not remove the pop up message.

Pressing the Home button, then the Mixdown/Master button, returned the unit to Multi-track mode but did not clear the pop-up message.

Pressing the Save button (F2) in the Multi-track screen cleared the pop-up message.

Impact
The stereo master was recorded successfully despite the error message.

Observations
1gb song size is not uncommon for me.

My protocol eliminates all unused snippets from the song folder, creating only contiguous tracks.

TASCAM's trouble shooting corrective process differs from my protocol only in that I do not import to a freshly created empty song folder.

To address the "Read Timeout" error, it may be essential that for a song created under FW v1.19, the edit.sys and song.sys files be unaltered new files that can only be had by creating a new v1.20 song folder into which the Audio Depot files must be imported.

Replicating the process in FW v1.19 did not present any issues.

I'll stick with FW v1.19 pending further testing with a blank SD card formatted for FW v1.20.

Last edited:
Someone at TASCAM screwed up on follow through. The "latest" firmware version for the discontinued DP-32 (1.11 - 6/28/19) has the description for v1.20.

D/L "v1.11" and if you open the zip file you'll see the release notes, etc. reflect v1.20.

That said, given the naming screw up I wouldn't trust that the 1.11 and 1.20 FW update file are actually the same.

Mark, I can't even find that version! Where is it?

Last edited:
Strange, how tascam.jp/us is the USA website, lol. Thanks Mark.

I'm inclined to agree with you. I beat on my DP-32 and it never fails on me. Once I put a proper SD card in the machine and formatted it, all issues went away. I punch and edit indiscriminately, submix, master, import, and keep the source tracks on virtual tracks. The only maintenance I do is Delete Unused. There must be some really crazy stuff going on in the wild with these machines.

Latest Firmware Caveat re "Read Timeout"? ...further testing with a blank SD card formatted for FW v1.20.
Upon further testing:
  • Updated from FW 1.19 to FW 1.20.
  • Formatted a second, new, blank 32gb Sandisk Extreme Pro 95MB/s SDHC V30 3/10 SD card.
  • Created a new song file using the default song file created after format.
  • Repeated the test.
  • Same process and result as my Post #10:
    • Mixdown/Mastering button on Mastering screen is non-responsive to multiple presses after mastering process completes.
    • Pressing Home Button, then Mixdown/Mastering button returns to Multitrack mode.
    • Pop up message is not cleared.
    • Pressing Save (F2) clears the pop up screen, and enters Save mode pop up.
    • Pressing Yes returns to Multitrack Screen.
  • Return to Mastering mode and the mastered recording can be played, no error messages.
Conclusions:
Either there's a glitch in the latest FW update, at least for the DP-24, or the latest FW is no longer fully compatible with a 32gb Sandisk Extreme Pro 95MB/s SDHC V30 3/10 SD card.

Reactions: David Porter
Very interesting Mark. The only issue that I've noticed with my machine on FW 1.10 (I have not upgraded yet) is the slow punch in that was mentioned. I think I'll upgrade and see what happens. Anything weird and I'll revert.

Always back everything up! Assume that the firmware update will erase everything and backup accordingly.

Reactions: Mark Richards
I have updated the FW on my DP24SD to FW 1.06 and now I keep getting the "Read Timeout" message at the end of the mastering process. After pressing Save it disappears and the Master is fine. I use the same Sandisk Extreme Pro that Mark mentions and the re-mastered song was recorded earlier. There is clearly an issue with FW 1.06. So, I went back to V1.05 and now the message doesn’t pop up anymore. I will just wait and see if a new update comes out. I could also try a faster Sandisk card and install the v1.06 again. Any suggestion for a card? They sell a Sandisk SDHC Extreme Pro 32 GB UHS- II @ 300 mbits here but that’s probably incompatible?

Last edited:
Confirmed fault is there with v1.07 on dp32sd. Has anyone actually reported this to Tascam yet?(Update - have just done it).
fyi - once the popup error message is displayed, I found the other buttons still worked - you could see the screens changing behind the popup window. It only disappeared as Mark says when you press Save.

Last edited:
The pop-up disappearing only when one presses save seems like a bug in of itself.

Yes, it looks like they forgot to put an 'acknowledge' button on the popup... have mentioned this in the report.
Trying to report a fault was frustrating... I put the country (UK) and it just displayed a postal address and telephone no. So changed to USA and it displayed a form to fill in, but then it was very fussy about the phone number format - the (0) was critical, e.g. +44(0)nnnnn etc. Got there eventually!

New threads

Members online