New Forum Member

Dynesfarm1

Gear owned
2488neo
Hi everyone
I am an amateur but not very gifted guitarist who has built a little soundproof room and bought a 2488neo. I recorded with a band in a professional studio several times so thought I knew a bit about recording - it was only a tiny bit. I have recorded lots of tracks for about 10 songs which sit in my machine as live projects in Kent, UK.. After attending a 2 day mixing masterclass recently my eyes and mind were opened and I am now seeking to do things that I suspect are beyond the neo. There are no low and high pass filters and I can only see the waveform on one track at a time. I have avoided computer recording because it seems too complex and the portastudio was the obvious choice, but it seems to me I need to use the neo to record and then export all the tracks for mixing, editing etc via some kind of computer software. I am not on a tight budget and whilst I am told Pro-Tools is the way to go I know it will be too complex for me to master. What other software options are there that a bloke in his early 60s can learn to use fairly quickly and which could use a few plug-ins - and you are going to reply to a real novice, so feel free to respond as if addressing a real dummy.

I have spent the last few hours going through forum posts on 2488 and have already found answers to things I have struggled with, despite using the manual and the DVD. Thanks for that help and I look forward to learning a lot more.

Dynesfarm1 said:
I am told Pro-Tools is the way to go
Don't believe everything you are told. While ProTools is fine DAW, it definitely is not the only thing out there. It even is usually lagging behind the technology and features found in other DAWs. It's "the way to go" only if you are professionally running a studio where you need to make overdubs/mixes on projects originally recorded elsewhere (something like 90% of commercial facilities use ProTools ... but in many cases just because 90% of commercial facilities use ProTools or because the teacher at the sound engineering school told it's "the way to go").

There's great amount of alternatives out there including:
Steinberg Cubase
Reaper
Cakewalk Sonar
Apple Logic Pro
PreSonus Studio One
MOTU Digital Performer

I highly recommend Reaper: http://www.reaper.fm/
You can download a 60-day trial version for free. And it's cheap: $60 for non-commercial and $225 for commercial license. That's a lot of bang for your $.

Thanks Jarno

A good place to start. I have seen other recommendations for Reaper elsewhere on the forum.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.