New Guy on the Block

William Charney

Gear owned
Tascam DP- 24SD
Hi guys, yes I be a newbie on this site but not totally new on Tascam recorders. Have a DP-03SD and used it a bit and have recently updated to a Tascam-24SD. Gee, I have been working with the DP24 but basically as a new recorder. What I really want to do with this unit is: recorder lead guitar out of two inputs from my mixer and two inputs from my drum machine to hopefully get a awesome sound recorded. So far I have used, for the lead guitar, stereo inputs 13-14 assignment G-H and 15-16 assignment E-F for the drum machine. Don't really know if this is where the inputs should go as to what I am looking for................Oh the frequencies on these four inputs just bug me to death as I can't seem to get set where the high-mid-and low's should approximately be. I see other things that might need to be added or adjusted. As far as effects I have the main ones that I use that come out of my pedal board, so I don't know if I need to shut them off and use the effects the DP24 has or not. Could use a helping hand as to what is a good way to get jump started.

Thanks for sure,
Billy C

Hi Billy, just my 2 cents to start the ball rolling:-
Not sure what role the external mixer is playing. Would have thought you only need 1 signal for the lead guitar - you can pan it left or right within the dp24. Could also use the H input in guitar mode and feed the guitar straight in and bypass the mixer?

But if it's the stereo signal from the mixer you want, then you're doing right - can use any 2 inputs of the dp24 and assign them to a stereo track as you've done. Same for stereo signal from the drum machine so no problems there.

You can apply EQ directly to any input before the signal is recorded. Press Mixer, then press an Input/Source select button and confirm it appears at top-right of mixer screen. All the EQ controls then apply to that input. Repeat for other inputs as reqd.

Or you can apply EQ to the tracks during playback. Might be simpler for stereo tracks as the EQ applies to both left & right signals. Press Mixer, then press a track select button and confirm it appears on screen. Adjust EQ as reqd.

There are several FX on the dp24 so the choice is yours. There are some restrictions with how many you can use at once... plenty of discussions on this forum :)
Hope that's enough to get you started.

Well Mr. Phil, awesome that you would reply to me as I'm sure it's not that hard to figure out my knowledge on recordings. See that you do help others on this site and that I'm sure they appreciate you time and knowledge........

Two guitar pedal board outputs to a Mackie mixer line 1 and line 2 in. with two outputs main L & R from the mixer to the DP-24 in as stated G-H and use stereo 13-14. Drum machine is L & R out of it right to the DP-24 E-F and use stereo 15-16. I think I need to use your info. and set it up differently as you stated. Thinking, which could be dangerous from my point of view, that I have E-Q on the pedal board, E-Q on the mixer, and nothing so far used on the DP-24.................too much E-Q and I'm not getting the sound I search for.
So I will give it a try.

What has really bothered me is the frequency adjustments for low-mid- high. on guitar and d/machine on the DP24. Boy this would be a really great help to obtain something that comes out on these two to be better than a good sound.............

Thanks Phil,
Billy C

New threads

Members online

No members online now.