New guy/rookie import question

bigguy

Gear owned
dp-32 digital portastudio
What I want to do is import a song from a cd, converted to a Wav file, so that I can play along with it. Can anyone tell me how to go about this?

The basic steps for a DP-24/32 are:
1. Rip the CD track into a wave file using a computer. Typically this will generate a 16bit, 44.1KHz stereo file.
2. Copy this file to the DP-24/32. Can either use the USB link or copy directly to the SD card. You must copy the file into the Audio Depot folder.
3. On the DP-24/32, create a new project with the same settings as the file in step 1.
4. Go to Menu, Audio Depot and import the file onto one of the tracks. If it is a stereo file, it will list a selection of stereo tracks.
5. You can now play the track.

Don't know what level of detail you want, but just shout if you need more.

Mr. Phil, you are a great American. Thank you for your concise and simply worded explanation that helps this senior citizen out.

Glad it helped bigguy, from one senior citizen to another ;) ... btw, am from Wales, UK but am honoured (honored!) for the compliment :)

A couple more points fyi:

1. To transfer recordings back to a computer, you just do the opposite, i.e. go to Menu, AudioDepot and Export the reqd. tracks. Then use the computer to copy the files out of the AudioDepot Folder. You can delete the files afterwards either using the computer or the AudioDepot menu.

2. When you're moving files between the SD card and computer, only use files in the AudioDepot folder.. don't be tempted to mess with wave files in the individual song folders held under the Music folder. They have fairly meaningless names like zz0000 etc. and although they are valid wave files, they won't necessarily line up time-wise from track-to-track, and there may be more files than you think as they will be snippets of partial recordings etc. The Tascam system keeps track of these, presumably using pointers held in the system file in the same song folder, but this means each folder must be treated as an entity otherwise it will get confused. e.g. on a computer you can move the whole folder to another SD card or even delete it, but do not cut/paste individual zz wave files; if you really want to inspect these files, use copy/paste.
Note, this is for individual track recordings, not mastered files - I've not used the mastering process so can't advise on these.

3. You may have noticed when you imported the wave files to tracks, the files are automatically deleted from the AudioDepot folder (at least they are on my DP-32). I imported to the wrong tracks with my first attempt, and thought I'll just go back to the AudioDepot menu and re-import them but they were gone! So looks like if you mess up, you either have to bounce them to the correct tracks or export and re-import to the correct tracks.

Once you get your head round the machine, it's a fine piece of kit. I'm very pleased with mine. Good luck with your musical projects.
Phil

Last edited:

Members online