New Model 12 at Namm 2020

JBL822

Gear owned
DP-24, Model 24
Has anyone seen the announcement of the new model 12 at NAMM?
It said to have midi in and out and DAW control using HUI/MCU protocol

https://tascam.com/us/product/model_12/top

I just got my Model 24 a couple of weeks ago, I love it but I wish it had DAW control like the new one does.

Also this, Click output with TAP TEMPO support. It has separate physical out put for a click track. This is what the Model 24 needed

Hmm ... this might have been a better fit for me than the Model 16, too. Still, I’m very happy with the 16 overall. Grass is always greener? I dunno ...

Can anyone tell me if the speed on the Model 16, 24 or ,12 can be slowed down?

No you can't slow down tracks like you could on a analog recorder. If you want that effect you would have to export the tracks to a DAW and or stand alone program to get that effect , then import the tracks back into the Model 24. It's a cool effect and I've used it years ago on analog recorders, but I've never tried it since moving to digital about 20 years ago.

Thanks, good to know. I used to do it on my Tascsm 234 and could even do it on my Roland 880 digital. Can make me a better player. LOL.

as mentioned above; midi in/out, daw control, dedicated click output w/ tap tempo = big pluses. tascam's been listening. can you use the 1-6 trs jacks as 3 stereo inputs? that would total 5 stereo ins

Hello everyone,

This new Model 12 looks interesting indeed! I've been using DP32 for quite a while, but I do miss the audio interface function. And with an analogue board, good quality preamps, basic daw controller and its compact size, Model 12 does look like a great option for one person bedroom projects ;) It would be ideal if it had bouncing function but it already looks like a decent piece of kit.

Reactions: {{{5T4RF0RT5}}}
Yes, the 6 trs jacks can be used as Left and Right inputs from 3 stereo devices, totaling 5 stereo inputs. Tascam is unsure if they'll release 16 or 24 versions with the functionality of the 12 (midi, dedicated click output w/ tap tempo, daw control) - but they noted it's possible.

Reactions: Paul Jankowski
This is awesome! As the owner of a Model 24, I don't think these replace Tascam's Hardware DAWs (The Portastudio DP series) but they are differentiating themselves in a market segment that is saturated with completely digital mixing/MTR solutions. For a software DAW user like, myself, the Model series provides an old school mixer with a modern interface and computerless record capabilities. Other than lacking "Surface" capability, it's been fantastic.

It also looks like they have been listening to the feedback from the Model 16 and Model 24 release and packed those feature requests into the new Model 12; Hi-Z line level inputs on all channels for direct instrument input; Click track with tap tempo; Mix - Minus on the trrs phone input; Full MIDI capability instead of just MTC. I'm sure this is a sneak peak of what's to come if they release a hardware revision/version II of the Model 16 and Model 24, as @{{{5T4RF0RT5}}} mentioned it was possible.

I had a chance to look at the feature set and the Model 12 also has surface functionality. I cursed a little under my breath when I read that. It is cool that they are listening, or at least further differentiating. Thinking about the potential markets, the Model 12 is Podcasters and Software DAW based solo performers who wouldn’t buy the DP series, the Model 16 is for bands to track their rehearsals and the Model 24 is for small venues / HoW that want to record the show or service. Just my own thoughts.

I've been comparing it to my Model 16, as I like the size of it. The biggest drawback I can find is the lack of a dedicated channel for the USB return. Am I missing something? I like the fact that both the stereo channels have the compressor circuit on them; something the Model 16 does not. The lack of a control room function is neither here nor there; I use it now, but didn't have one on my Soundcraft board I had for a while. I dunno ... would I be going backward? I can't decide without sitting down with them side-by-side ...

Yeah, I wouldn’t sell my Model 24 to get this. The dedicated return isn’t a deal breaker for me because I only use mine in ASIO mode. I still use my crappy on-board sound card (well ac97 on chip) for my basic PC apps and games so the stupid routing to Track 1/2 hasn’t mattered. And in my DAWs I saved the Bluetooth channel as the default Master return.

This new Model 12 seems to be closer and closer to my ideal machine, ie. a multitrack recorder with an analogue board and daw capabilities. There was an onging debate somewhere else on these forums about a perfect product of this kind from Tascam that combines best of portastudios (tracking/mixing/bouncing/mastering) with an analogue mixer (real knobs, etc.) and a computer interface all-in-one machine. If these analogue boards only had more flexible input assignment/routing and bouncing/mixing options, then they would constitute the best machine I could ever ask for :)

I am interested in interfacing the DP-24SD with the Model 12, as @Matthew Fogel noted the model 12 is indeed no replacement for the DP series. Maybe run DP as master SMPTE/MTC and either via 'click->midi' interface to Model 12 [or perhaps the Model 12 has enough interface built in to auto slave to the DP's]. Any thoughts? Much appreciate.
I've also seen a recent recording where the DP series is now capable of 'looping' without delay - big thanks for 'I love recording' YT channel w/ DP tutorials for this recent tip.

DP series is now capable of 'looping' without delay
The DP-24/32/SD has always been capable of that. The 'how to' is in the Equipment Tips sticky of the DP-24/32/SD forum.
...DP as master SMPTE/MTC ...
There are several threads/posts in the DP-24/32/SD forum on interfacing MIDI devices with the non-MIDI DP-24/32/SD. A search there may give you some ideas to get you going.

Last edited:
Mark, you're the man first off, thanks for all your tips and tutorials in the threads you mentioned! I had read through the forums before but had missed your 'gapless practice loop' post in the 'how to' Equipment Tips sticky for DP-24/32/SD forum. And you're right, Phil Tipping's video tutorial on 'Midi Sync - old-school' using a Midi sync box (SMPTE-to-MIDI) is an example of how one might interface the DP-24/32-SD with the e.g. the Model 12. Appreciate your points, will reference the stickies for future reference, they are an amazing resource. Will also post my sync results when I receive the model 12 :)

Last edited:
Will also post my sync results when I receive the model 12 :)

@{{{5T4RF0RT5}}} yes, by all means, please do post the results, hopefully successful. But bear in mind that it also helps to know what does not work.

As more info becomes available on what the Model 12 does, I'm more and more seriously considering selling my Model 16 and down-sizing. I dunno ... I keep coming back to the minuses I mentioned in my post above (lack of control room, dedicated return, etc.), but I'm not sure those are important to me, compared to the size and extras that I would use on this one. Ugh!

Surprisingly, they've released at least one into the wild. Here's a good review of the Model 12:

Yes, the size and weight of Model 12 is definitely an advantage, but what are actually those extras that the bigger versions don't have: daw controller, another headphones output, trrs connection for a mobile phone? Anything else? Will the unit work as a control surface for all popular daws including Reaper? I like the review although it is more oriented towards podcasting as this might be a new target group for this machine.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.