Peter Batah

Soundaholic
From
Montreal, Canada
Website
www.cafejoya.com
Gear owned
DM4800 / MU1000
Parts are on the way. I did my due diligence and feel good about the choices I have made. I welcome your thoughts. I have to tell you, it sure adds up quickly. And the list below is not complete.

1) ASUS Prime Z490-A LGA 1200 (Intel® 10th Gen) ATX motherboard
2) Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 X 16GB) DDR4 3200
3) Intel Core i7-10700 Desktop Processor 8 Cores up to 4.8 GHz LGA 1200 10th Gen
4) WD_Black SN750 500GB NVMe Internal Gaming SSD - Gen3 PCIe, M.2 2280
5) CoolerMaster MasterLiquid ML240L RGB V2, Close-Loop AIO CPU Liquid Cooler
6) Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SATA 2.5" Internal SSD
7) Syba Low Profile PCI-Express 1394b/1394a (2B1A) Card, TI Chipset

Items that have yet to be purchased
1) Decent case to put all of the above components in.
2) A large display. For now I guess I can continue to use my 2 X 19" monitors. Getting old though!
3) Decent mouse and keyboard. I was looking at the mouse below. Any comments.
4) Oh, and let's not forget the DAW software. Sort of leaning towards Cubase

https://www.amazon.ca/Kensington-Expert-Wireless-Trackball-K72359WW/dp/B01936N73I/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=Mouse Optical Trackball Wireless&qid=1611696192&s=electronics&sr=1-3

Does not have to be this model in particular. To be continued

Last edited:
Reactions: skier and -mjk-
Looks like a machine with great specs that can last you a long time, @Peter Batah !

I may have some tips for you concerning the stuff you still need (Can't quote your message):

1. I use an Antec Take 4 650 19" (4U high) case, but I don't think it's still available. It sits nicely in my rack and I like the fact that I don't have a 'standard' housing since I wouldn't know where it should go. Maybe it's something for you to consider.

3. I started my current PC also with a wireless Logitech mouse, but after a few hours I reverted to my good ol' wired mouse. There was always a slight delay in the mouse reaction after being unused for a few minutes. Very annoying to work with. So check the Kensington for this - ofcourse it may be no issue at all with this trackball.

4. Ofcourse, Cubase! I guess you saw this one coming from me.. ;)

Reactions: -mjk-
@Arjan P Bizarre because I cannot quote your message either. Funny that you should mention Antec. Back in the early 90's -> 2000 I owned and operated several computer retail stores. All I ever bought and sold were Antec cases. What a coincidence. Top notch. I am actually posting this machine on Facebook Marketplace in a few minutes. Piano black. What a beauty!

Re: Trackball mouse. Thankfully, Amazon is great when it comes to returning a product if you are not totally satisfied with it. Maybe I will take that route. Oh, and Cubase. I swear that was meant specifically for you. And, I knew you were going to pickup on that. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: -mjk- and Arjan P
@Peter Batah Yeah, I can't see a current price on it here either. But I'm sure there are equivalent current ones - if you want a 19" case ofcourse.

About the quoting: It's forum policy that we can't quote the last message in a topic. I'm not sure what the reasoning behind this was..

DJ said because he didn't want the forum to become a continuous string of quoted messages, which really adds up to practically doubling the storage necessary. You can still highlight copy and use the insert quote function in the editor.

@-mjk- You can still highlight copy and use the insert quote function in the editor.

Which is exactly what I have done / or have had to do in the past on many occasions. I am cool with that!

Which is exactly what I have done / or have had to do in the past on many occasions. I am cool with that!

I mean like this ^^^^

Reactions: Peter Batah
@-mjk- Remember our conversation about how cold it can get here? This weekend is going to be a real doozy! :mad: Better dig out those long johns...

0sN5Ugj.jpg

Good thing we have that clothing line called Heat Tech from Japan!

@Peter Batah, I like your specs! It's not a cheap system, but it certainly should be more than powerful enough for recording a good number of tracks simultaneously as well as the ability to incorporate many plug-ins without having to freeze in the effects on lots of tracks. I'm running 24GB of RAM and the system has yet to use even a full 16GB with 30 tracks going and with quite a few effects.

I mean like this ^^^^

@MJK, I hate to show my ignorance publically, but I don't understand how to quote using ^^^^ - can you explain?

Also, when I tag using the @ symbol, it doesn't work on short user names and not on two or more word names, like Peter Batah, even though I put them in quotes. I've tried to find a help file or manual for XenForo, but what I've found hasn't helped. Can you set me straight?

Peter, this is not meant to be a hi-jack, but it seems we're on that topic for a moment and you put us there, so you're ok with this slight deviation.

Thx,

Jerry

@skier Hello J. The whole "Hi-Jack" never bothered me. Never gave it much thought on any forum for that matter. No worries.

I could be wrong but I think that what @-mjk- was trying to demonstrate was the use of the CTRL-C key combination. You know how sometimes when you try entering that key combination from the command line in either Windows or Linux you end up with the Caret symbol.

So, what I understood his suggestion to be is this:

I will use some of your text as an example. I will copy the following text "Can you set me straight?"

Then go up to the insert command right next to the diskette symbol on the editor ribbon and select quote from the choices there. You are then presented with the opening and closing QUOTE tags. Just CTRL-V to insert the string of text that you wish to quote

Gi08cFR.jpg

Like so:

Can you set me straight?

@skier As far as the name selection goes. I started this post with the @ symbol. I then begin entering ski. By the time I get to the "i" in skier I am presented with your handle as the first choice. I do not use quotes when tagging someone. I hope that I am explaining myself properly

@Peter Batah, I like your specs! It's not a cheap system, but it certainly should be more than powerful enough for recording a good number of tracks simultaneously as well as the ability to incorporate many plug-ins without having to freeze in the effects on lots of tracks. I'm running 24GB of RAM and the system has yet to use even a full 16GB with 30 tracks going and with quite a few effects.
Trust me, the last thing that I planned on doing was spending a boat load of $$$ on a new PC. It's so hilarious, I have been in IT for what seems an eternity and don't think that I have ever had to spend a dime on hardware. I usually inherit a bunch of hardware when my clients swap out their aging (4 year old) IT infrastructure. Like the DELL Optiplex 9020 AIO that I am sitting in front of at the moment. You wouldn't believe the stuff that I have had to throw out (recycle).

I have an older i7 with 12G of Ram sitting in the closet that won't cut it. Actually I am hoping that I might salvage and use for the new build the case and power supply from that one.

Oh well, I guess that it's my turn now. I was a little surprised at how pricey Cubase and Pro Tools had become. Hopefully, I will be set for a little while. I have known all along that this was an expensive little hobby. Things could be worse, right?

@Peter Batah you explained everything perfectly, thanks.

UPDATE: Most of the components have arrived. The Phanteks Eclipse P400A ATX Mid-Towercase should be arriving on February 4/5.

The 32GB Corsair memory, NVMe Internal Gaming SSD - Gen3 PCIe, M.2 2280, and the Syba Low Profile PCI-Express 1394b/1394a (2B1A) Card tomorrow.

Then, it's off to the races. Have to be honest, it's been a while since I have built a PC from scratch. Did a whole bunch of that some 20 years ago. It's like getting back on the bike I suppose. I'm excited. Like a kid with his new train set. Or these days new iPhone :p

Note: I am always blown away at how quickly Amazon delivers merchandise to my door. How do they do it?

tY4XsCr.jpg

Reactions: -mjk- and Arjan P
And the parts just keep rolling in. Even on a Sunday. A day early but who's complaining :rolleyes:

9Fgz80f.jpg

@skier As far as the name selection goes. I started this post with the @ symbol. I then begin entering ski. By the time I get to the "i" in skier I am presented with your handle as the first choice. I do not use quotes when tagging someone. I hope that I am explaining myself properly
@Peter Batah The quoting part was never an issue, I do that often. But thanks much for the explanation on tagging! I've become so adept at ignoring all kinds of popup advertising on the Web that I must now be ignoring important stuff also. Thanks again.

New threads

Members online