Newbie... And truly an amateur!

Michael A.M.

Gear owned
Tascam Model 24, Tascam
Hello everyone, and, wow! What a great forum!

My query is that I'm very new to recording, and I have a Tascam Model 24. I am having a problem with my pan controls and faders. they are inoperable. I know it is me not knowing how to set up (The manual really does not help...). Can someone give me the proper channel setup so I can operate those controls, so I can work on mastering my song.

Now, initially, it worked for a long time. Somehow I messed up. Help!!!

Hi Michael - Welcome To The Show. We have some fabulous prizes for you, just for participating!:p
Sorry. Raised on TV.

Try this?
JUUUST kidding. I’m the resident smardazz. I’m actually a moron. I don’t even have a Modelxx (I have 2488 & DP PortaStudio’s).

BUT - I’ll take a stab at it:
Aren’t the Model xx’s meant to function as live mixers, AND able to be a controller for a DAW?
I’m betting there’s a setting/config/setup - possibly in software, or the config/'preferences' area of the Modelxx? - that gives “master” and “slave” roles to the DAW & the Modelxx…so perhaps if the DAW is the “master”, the controls of the Tascam don’t respond unless operated FROM the DAW??

Lemme know if I’m right. I need the ego boost.:D

Last edited:
How are they inoperable? Can you hear signal being passed through the channel either in live mode or MTR? If in MTR, are you monitoring the individual channels or the master? Please let us know.

Sorry, Shredd, but the Model 24 (and Model 16) are not DAW Controllers. They are analog boards with a digital recorder tacked on. The Model 12 is digital through and through and can function as a DAW controller. No points for you this round! ;)

Reactions: dctdct
No points for you this round!
Oh Well. I took a stab...but all I know about Modelxx's is what I read at SWater. I was sure I read that they can be set up to have each channel control the corresponding channel in a DAW...
But I really wouldn't know - I have PortaStudio's and mini's (an '008 and BOSS portables).
So I retain my title of "Resident Maroon"!!!:LOL:

Reactions: Arjan P and -mjk-
Sweetwater - btw - has a used Model 16 that came in Tuesday for $600. Just a heads up!

And we still love you, Shredd! Where would we be without our Resident Maroon? We’d have to settle for purple! :LOL:

Not to mention that @shredd gives everyone a warm welcome.

Now back to the OP's original issue:

Model 24 OM, Page 47:

Restoring factory default settings

You can restore the various settings stored in the memory of the unit to their factory default values. Use the following menu procedures to do so.

1. On the SYSTEM Screen, select INITIALIZE to open the INITIALIZE Screen. (See “Menu operation procedures” on page 27)

2. Press the F4 button to restore the factory default settings.

3. When the setting completes, the SYSTEM Screen will reopen. NOTE i Press the F1 button to cancel execution. i The date and time setting is not initialized.

Members online