NSD?

BikerDude

Gear owned
DP02, DP32
OK I think this is probably because I need to update my firmware but I see that the Tascam product page for the DP32 shows an NSD option in the mastering screen. I have only EQ and Comp and the Norm button. Also I see that even the pdf of the owners manual on the Tascam sight makes no mention of NSD.
Firstly am I correct in assuming that this is a firmware upgrade?

Secondly are there dangers in upgrading the firmware on the unit? I won't miss what I don't have anyway.
I am a complete neophyte and I probably will be barely scratching the surface in terms of the features available on the unit. I do see the download for the firmware zip file on the product's downloads page. If it's more or less bulletproof then I'd opt to get the latest.

Lastly I'm sure that the process of upgrading the firmware is on this forum multiple times but if someone feels like outlining it in a reply it will save me digging around. Or god forbid reading the manual or the release notes with the firmware.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Hi biker, are you definitely comparing the right models? Have just been looking at the old dp32 (CD model) manual for someone else and noticed the NSD option there, so I've learnt something now :) Couldn't see any mention of NSD in the firmware release notes so not sure why yours hasn't got it... unless it's really a dp32sd! I'm guessing the NSD option is only needed for the CD models as the mix/master file has to be converted to 16-bit 44.1KHz format when burning the CD, and the dithering options can help reduce the noise created by this process. The later dp24sd & dp32sd models don't need NSD as they can't burn CDs direct.

To upgrade, download and unzip the firmware, and copy the unzipped file (not the folder) to the Utility folder on the sd-card. You can do this either by physically moving the card to your computer (power off the machine first!) or via the USB link. When copied, if you used the USB link, disable the link and power off the machine. If you moved the card, plug it back into the machine.

Press & hold the 2 buttons MUTE and UNDO while you turn the machine on. It displays any firmware files it finds in the Utility folder. If it shows multiple files, use the jog dial to highlight the correct one. Ignore any files which start with "._"
Press F4, confirm the displayed details are what you expect, then press F2(Yes) to do the update. When finished, power off. You can delete the file from the Utility folder later (with your computer) as it's no longer needed.

Oh OK
I saw the NSD thing on the product page on the Tascam site
http://www.tascam.com/product/dp-32sd/
It had me confused.

I may or may not be up to date on the firmware.
It's a new unit so there's a good chance it is up to date but who knows?
They may sit around in inventory for a while.

Thanks Phil for your detailed response!

Cheers

The NSD option only applies to the older CD version and not to the latest SD model. Some of the pictures for the SD model show actually the older CD model.

Last edited:

New threads

Members online

No members online now.