Passion for the Machine

DASCAMAN

Gear owned
A lot and i mean a lot of tasc
Ive got a 2nd wind on my 2488 NEO and I also have the MKII and I took both of them out recently (they been put up for quite a while) and realized that this is my favorite Portastudio (s) out of all the bunches and bunches of brands that I have and had. I cranked up the NEO first and listened to countless "songs" which are ideas and tons of "songs" in each "song" haha !! Then cranked up the MKII (which I didnt use to much) and started finding song ideas that I had totally forgot about, and the quality is so good (on both of them) that I could use them to finish/create whole songs with. I tried a Presonus Studio One as my first DAW and learned how to use it but...just aint my cup of tea to record like that. The "machines" are a lot more fun for me !! Also I concentrate on music the whole time instead of DAW settings and editing. My first multitrack back in 1976 was a Teac 3340 reel to reel and I still have recordings off of it that would fly today if played on the radio. It didnt take me long a couple nites ago to sync up the NEO to the MKII and with ease.It may not have Song Position Pointer or equivalent but there are work arounds Im sure to just about anything I set my mind to. These machines were built like tanks, unlike the newer inferior machines. I love the hard drives over SD any day of the week although I use SD/Compact Flash/Smart media cards in a lot of my machines. But, the hard drives in the MKII and the NEO has never ever gave me a bit of trouble. I believe the MKII has 80GB and my NEO came with 160GB hard drive and I have't had to worry about running out of memory since Ive had them both (around 7 or 8 years now). Well...I could ramble forever but I'll have to say that the 2488 (3 generations) is the closest that Tascam has come to a perfect MACHINE :) thanks !!!
kim

Last edited:
Ah yes... the old "DAW vs Portastudio" argument. At the end of the day it really does depend on the company you keep and the impact of current pop culture trends on that company! Generally speaking here with a very broad brush:

Song writers, vocalists, musicians who play acoustic instruments when aware of the porastudio option tend to find it attractive. And usually if money is not an option will go for portastudio or other hardware recorder over the DAW any day.

Studio engineers, audio engineers, producers, orchestral composers, musicians who play electronic keyboards, or other electronic instruments tend to gravitate toward the DAW out of necessity because their workflows often directly involve computers, and the complexity and scope of what they are doing is often more effectively and efficiently done in a DAW environment. And those who rely on VSTs simply find it easier to record to the DAW, although the Audio Interface can be made to point the other way.

The manufacturers of recording solutions are just trying to appeal to the most lucrative market. Which ever group is willing to make the most and largest purchases is targeted. In some cases the manufacturers/developers of recording solutions try to either make one-size-fit-all solutions or engage in marketing campaigns that are designed to convince the consumer that their solution is the only solution.

Obviously there are exceptions to all of this. But generally it is the case. Those that have deadlines and get paid to do mixing, mastering, composing, and music distribution are often forced into the DAW scenario because of the music production 'ecosphere' In other words they have to use the DAW because most people in their music production web are using it. So speed, efficiency, compatibility, interactivity, and music-production-metrics drive their decision of DAW vs Portastudio.

On the other hand, for those of us who are driven by the music, creativity, inspiration, imagination, song writing, or intimacy with our instruments the Portastudio wins hands down. The DAW gets in the way and is a distraction and takes away from the inspiration of the moment rather than enhances it.

Oddly, there is a misconception in some places and among some crowds that the DAW is the best "Home Recording Solution". But the reality is Porastudio started that particular revolution and the Portastudio really remains the best, most musical, and most cost effective solution for a home recording studio.

Once you get into commercial considerations the calculus changes. Efficiency, tool-chains, music-production-metrics, and workflows all trump musicality, creativity, inspiration, and sentiment. But if we're just talking about your basic home recording solution, garage band solution, gospel choir, glee club, barber shop quartet, campfire, folk guitar, school band, jazz band, family or community band music recording needs. The Portastudio is really the way to go.

When I recommend recording solutions I suggest portastudios and pocketstudios for the day to day bread and butter solutions. And if and only if more complex, or demanding processing is actually required do I suggest that the Portastudio/Pocket studio solution be augmented with a DAW. Typically, in a home recording scenario the Portastudio studio gets the entire job done, and when it doesn't its a simple matter to export Stems, Wavs, Tracks from the Porta/Pocket studio to the DAW environment for further processing.

For Group 1 the recording solution captures their music, creativity, and inspiration. For Group 2 the recording solution captures their skills at mixing, mastering, and producing. There are some unfortunate people who have to for one reason or another flip and flop between both groups. The DAW vs Portastudio argument is normally determined by which group one identifies with the most.

I hope you get many more years of enjoyment out of your 2488.

Cheers

Last edited:

New threads

Members online