Please help me understand SCSI

Nate Flanigan

Gear owned
mx2424
Hi, I find scsi totally confusing, there's so many different types!

The mx2424 manuals just specify the external scsi port as simply wide scsi, but looking over this guide there's no mention of "wide scsi"
https://www.cablestogo.com/learning/connector-guides/scsi#68-pin

I'm looking to put a cf card reader into this box...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-SCSI-5...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

and connect it to the external scsi port of the mx2424 in order to back up files and transfer them to a computer.

Would this cable get me from one to the other?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3ft-SCSI-5...897&pg=2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Thanks!

Bravo! I haven't looked at what you're thinking of but with SCSI going south alng with ide we need something. Some guys here were looking into SSD which would be awesome if you search here you'll find it. They haven't checked in for a while so either it's working great and they're having too much fun to share findings or ran into snag got frustrated and went to the beach. :)

I was able to use a SCSI to ide bridge out back years ago but I included my setup when I sold my first mx. I think (memory is bad) I went ultra 68pin to 80 then from 80 to ide. It wasn't straight shot and was not reliable for recording but was solid for bu.

I'm going to go look at what you're thinking about using. I'm no computer mathmagician so my monking is trial and error. So far I haven't blown too many things up ;-)

Thanks Caveman, I have indeed looked over the ssd thread. Mostly I'm just really confused by all the different scsi connector types. There's a few that look really similar in pictures but in real life are different sizes, know what I mean? Somebody's got to know what the connector on the back of the mx is called.

What's the front of that case look like? Is there a 3.5 bay or is it fully enclosed?

it has two clip like fasteners one on each side. you pinch them to release and lift up the enclosure. 4 screws holding hd in place 5 min and you can change out the hd. not as sweet as hotswap system but cheap easy and 18 years ago it was perfect for me and guy I sold my first mx to is still using the system.

The hd's are higher than the ones used inside the mx plus no power hookup it gets power from the 68 pin connector. They're older SCSI drives. It got the heat out of my box plus the earlier mx' didn't have a very robust power supply the lcd display dimmed when drive was working lol So this little old cheap sun micro systems box solved a lot of issues for me on the cheap.

There's better solutions but more $

the case is fully enclosed but like I stated its 5 min to change out a drive sorry no photos yet I never have my phone with me when Im by the box but sooner or later Ill have phone with me and take picture of it.

I got something going today with a cf card reader, I'll make a new post about it, some one might find it useful.

Reactions: Caveman

New threads

Members online

No members online now.