Portastudio 488 tapedeck motor noise

portaboy488

Gear owned
portastudio 488
Hey guys,

i got a portastudio 488 from a friend. I already gave it to an electrical engineer to fix the headphones output, so now the portastudio works pretty fine in its general functions apart from one aspect. It has a lasting buzzing noise coming from the tapedeck motor or how this thing is called, in the video below you can see that it's also changing the pitch when changing the playback speed. I already oiled the motor but it didn't help.

Do you have any ideas on how i could fix this without cutting cables? I have no electrical engineering skills.

The buzzing noise is not hearable on the recordings, it's just annoying after a while.

I love this machine and want it to run as good as possible.

Thanks,
Portaboy488

Last edited:
Electrical Engineers are not the best people to fix this stuff. I have had Nasa Engineers bring their stuff to me- I do not work on spacecraft and they do not work on tape decks- each of these is a specialty. Chances are that he disassembled a shield sheet and failed to re ground a part or motor ground. The problem is not a complicated one but he was just outside of his element. I have a BSEE but also 40 plus years of Technical experience which is what makes the difference. You really need to start with a Technician who works on VCRs, Tape decks and the like.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.