Pre-amp and monitor advice

ScottSwitzer

Gear owned
Tascam DP8 Tascam dp32sd
Hello all,
I've been using a dp8sd for many years and decided to make the jump to a dp32sd
I run sm57's and sm7b.
My two main questions are;
What pre-amp to use for best quality from sm7b?
What monitors pair well with dp32?
Like most artists I'm on a budget, but am willing to spend for the quality.
Thanks,
-Scott

Hi @ScottSwitzer and welcome to the Tascam Forums. You won't need a preamp with those mics and the DP-32. Plug them directly into the XLR connectors and assign them to tracks.

Monitors - a very subjective and personal issue. I suggest you research the topic and review your needs.

Reactions: David Porter
Still curious of others expierince with powered speaker and using preamp on mics like sm7b. I've read and watched videos about getting way better sound by powering said mic.

Reactions: -mjk-
What mj said.
a. There's no reason to use an outboard pre-amp for a high quality mic like the Shure SM7B instead of the XLR pre-amp on your DP-32SD. The DP-32SD mic pre-amps are completely transparent, with plenty of gain to reach -12dBFS and higher. With a sensitivity of 1.12mV for the SM7B, most times more than likely you'd need to use the Trim Knob to keep the signal from overdriving.

b. There's a post in the Equipment Sticky on choosing reference speakers. There are too many variables that will be unique to your individual situation to make specific recommendations other than to look at well respected pro and semi-pro brands with a performance history of accurate, neutral on-axis high fidelity reproduction.

Last edited:
Some folks do use external mic preamps in order to add "color" to the signal when tracking.

If that's what you're wanting to do - I would suggest asking the helpful folks at homerecording.com. I say that because there are some friendly, knowledgeable people over there who also happen to be gear heads - many have owned all kinds of gear and can give first hand experience. Just be sure to give as much info as possible describing what your goal is... what it is that you're shooting for in terms of sonics, end result, etc.

...mics like sm7b. I've read and watched videos about getting way better sound by powering said mic.
The SM7B is a dynamic mic, which will simply not use phantom power if supplied. So it can't have any effect on the sound either..

Still curious of others expierince with powered speaker and using preamp on mics like sm7b. I've read and watched videos about getting way better sound by powering said mic.

Scott, as a professional recording engineer/producer, I would caution you against falling into the formula approach to recording engineering. That's where the "correct" microphone + the "correct" preamp + "correct" whatever = excellent results. Doesn't work that way. What matters is your experience and capability. I record things on my DP-32 that rival 2" 24 track tape behind an API console. The DP-32 is not a limiting factor. I know you're asking for other people's experience. My personal experience has been very good with the DP-32. What I'm trying to say is, if you cannot get good sounds out of those microphones using the DP-32 preamps, putting an expensive preamp in front of the DP-32 will not make it sound good. But of course if you want to use preamps, by all means do so. You we're asking for "the best sound" but there is no such thing.

I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to clarify that the SM7b needs about 70db of gain to be driven properly with some headroom left over. The DP series preamps only have around 50ish-db of gain do an external preamp is necessary to properly drive that mic. This could be something as simple as a Could Lifter.

Even so, the SM7B at −59 dBV/Pa (1.12 mV) vs: the SM57 at -56.0 dBV/Pa (1.6 mV) should be fine with the DP series preamps. Podcasters are using the SM7B with mobile iPhone rigs. That said, there isn't any reason that a mic pre couldn't be used, especially for color.

Hmmmm. Never entered my mind that I might need a mic pre-amp for my DP-24.

My Electro Voice RE-20 and my DP-24 play very well together. No pre-amp needed, plenty of headroom. With the Trim Knob full clockwise in the mic position, the RE-20 can pick up a whisper 30 feet way, and with the excellent S/N ratio of the DP-24, the only sound I record is what the RE-20 picks up.
(Impedance: 150 ohms, Open Circuit Voltage, 1 kHz: 1.5 mV/pascal)

But as mj said, if you're looking for a specific coloration that a specific mic pre-amp might provide, go for it.

Reactions: -mjk-

New threads

Members online

No members online now.