Preroll count-in on DP-24sd

RCamizzi

Gear owned
Tascam DP-24sd
I just bought one of the dp-24sd. I found the preroll section but I'm not getting a preroll in a way that I get four clicks before the actual play head moves and record starts. That's what I'm looking for. Instead no matter what I set it at, record starts immediately upon pressing the record button when I have a track armed. Is it possible to have the preroll as a count-in to give lead time before recording actually starts on the dp-24sd?

You won't hear a click on the pre-roll. Read the section in the manual about IN/OUT points, and AUTO PUNCH IN/OUT. Pay attention to where it defines what is heard in the monitor. It's on pg 57 of my DP-24 manual (not sure about your SD manual, though).

I did try what was listed in my manual with no success. Auto punch mode has two selections "last Rec" or "in-out". No matter what I set them at, the play head starts immediately upon pressing record. I have the metronome on during record. I want the metronome to play for one bar or 4 clicks before recording starts. I have always used this in MPC and Pro Tools. It's annoying to have bought this hardware for simplicity only to feel the same way as I do with a DAW. I'm
Loosing creativity time trying to troubleshoot

Last edited:
I don't understand the need for a click if you're punching in a section ... the tempo is already established by what's already been recorded, isn't it? If I've misunderstood your issue, pardon me. If you're looking for the click AT THE START before recording ... look up the metronome section, it's there you'll define whether you want one measure or many, and whether you want the click until recording starts or all the time.

This isn't basic stuff. I want the track to start with with the age old method of a count in. Basically a "1-2-3 aaaand". I have never used any hardware or DAW without this capability. I've tried it through both the metronome and the punch in sections with no success. I found nothing on the forums yet and I'm waiting for a Tascam support response.

The DP units do this ... as you would expect. You're not doing something right, or I'm misunderstanding what your problem is. Good luck getting it squared away.

I kind of went through this, I think. I want a count before my recorded drum track, so I can be ready to start when it starts, so-to-speak.

I am unaware of the capability you are describing on my DP24-SD.

I set the metronome to on and hit play on the DP for the count I want. I hit stop, and then hit play on the drum source (a laptop with a virtual instrument, and record on the DP at the same time.

I tried this without stopping the DP, and could not get the drums synched with the click. (One success out of maybe 50 tries.) I got it right the first time described above.

I also tried recording at a random spot and editing to sync the track with the metronome - MUCH harder than I thought it would be.

I know this is not a direct answer, but I hope it helps!

Matt B

Reactions: RCamizzi
Agree with what's been said - there is no count-in option on the metronome. I've never used the punch-in system so don't know if it's possible to fool it into punching-in a whole song from scratch, but I don't really see what the problem is. It may be different to what you're used to, but you work with the tools you have. In this case, a bit of pre-planning should help, e.g. why not play & record your own 'count-in', then remove it afterwards. Tracks are easy to edit - use the Track Edit functions or do a bounce or mixdown and fade up or un-mute the track after the count-in. If you want a guide to sync to throughout the song, set the metronome to sound during recording and just play/record in sync with that. If you're using mics, then use headphones for the monitor so the metronome doesn't get recorded. Alternatively, record a proper guide track first using drums or even the metronome via a mic. Make the guide longer than the song and decide how many beats you want to use as your count-in, then go back and overdub your song, which can then start at exactly the right spot.

This Is all called workarounds. I actually bought this thing for simplicity and to be off of a DAW on the road. I use MPC software with an MPC Live and I'm used to recording and mixing in Pro Tools. I typically track out my beats from MPC software and import into Pro Tools. The beats are already timed the way I want them. Basically I wanted this thing to just pull the finished beat files into a track just like Pro Tools and be ready to record vocals over. Simple. What I've found is that unlike a DAW, this thing had no count in. Every DAW I've used has this feature. Reason has it, Pro Tools has it, Adobe Audition had it. MPC software has it. My previous Roland multitrack recorder had it. Basically I can set a count in by bar length, hit record and after the count in reached the set length, the playhead and recording starts. It's a lead in just like if a group of people are going to start singing together and one of them says 1,2,3 and...and then everyone starts on that cue. If I have to modify my tracks to specially for this machine then it's NOT creating ease of use. I should be able to import my same tracks as is in Pro Tools and in This machine. "work with the tools you have" is not good advice when I only bought this recently as an extra piece for travel. I was already working with the tools I've had. You could have saved that comment.

Last edited:
Maybe we are not understanding exactly what you are trying to do.

It sounds like you are importing audio files, and not recording a live performance with the DP.

Why could you not set the counter to bars rather than minutes, import your audio file to begin at the fifth or ninth bar? When you rewind and start, you will have one or two bars of metronome before the audio file beings to play. This is not a touch of a button, but I would guess the advancing the start point to a few bars in would take just a few seconds.

Matt my man! I think you just nailed it! I just got the DP two days ago and haven't tried everything yet. When I get home I'll try this method. Sounds like exactly what I'm aiming for. I can look in the manual or click around to figure out how to set to bars and set start point I guess. Much appreciated

I hope it does the trick. I started seriously using my DP24-SD just a few weeks ago, and I am learning a lot. I figured the above out less than 36 hours ago!

I discovered the bar display by having sloppy fingers - it was just there!

Anyway, to change it, hit the metronome button, and scroll to the bottom selection - bar display on/off.

On my way home now to give it a try I'll keep you posted

New threads

Staff online

Members online