Problems with model 12 and iOS (iPhone 13 specifically)

zaiusz

Gear owned
Model12
So I originally got my model 12 for the mpc one, and that works great. But I also realized that they advertise that it will work with iOS and it gave me an idea that it could improve my synthy Instagram videos with direct audio from my iPhone using the camera app. Super awesome in theory. Got a camera connection kit, tried it out and wow sweet that sounds amazing! Go to record again, or even playback again, and every time after the audio is choppy and sounds like it has a square wave tremolo on it. Even then I notice the audio from Apple Music is the same. Shut everything off, retry, still acting up. Try again another day, well it seems to be working I think! Well, nope, just that one time again. Choppy audio again after a while and there’s no predictability or confirmation that when you hit record it’s actually capturing the audio correctly.
Steps taken in troubleshooting:
-Try updating iOS and the tascam to the most recent update.
-purchase a second apple branded camera connection kit.
-try my old iPhone 7, well that actually seems to work fine, but it doesn’t have much memory and the camera isn’t near as good.
-tried emailing tascam, dead air.

Well… is this a futile endeavour until there’s a proper update on either apple’s or tascam’s end? Anyone else try this with their phones?

I notice that you didn't email Apple. Until they weigh in, you've only got 1/2 the story to work with.

Reactions: Logrinn
I don’t think apple is reachable on purpose

I will try but I expect apple to say contact tascam to sort it out. But we’ll see.

I’m with @-mjk-.
Since the Tascam works with one version of Apple’s iPhone but not the other, it seems more logical to search for a solution/explanation from Apple.
It could of course be a simple compatability issue. Many apps and their hardware counterparts work with iPad’s but not iPhone’s and there probably good reason for this.
Maybe Tascam can answer this but I’m guessing the ”fault” is probably more because of the iPhone.

Reactions: -mjk-
I don’t think apple is reachable on purpose

I will try but I expect apple to say contact tascam to sort it out. But we’ll see.

It works with one and not the other. They have some explaining to do. You've bought 2 connection kits! They owe you.

“It works with one and not the other. They have some explaining to do. You've bought 2 connection kits! They owe you.”

well I’m not going down the Karen route here lol. I can return the other camera adapter without any problems.

I just got off the phone with apple and exactly what I expected, they told me I have to take it up with the third party developer since it works with my old phone but not my new one, it’s something in their programming and not on apple’s end. Is there even anyone from Tascam who monitors these forums or is it just a bunch of opinion?

“It works with one and not the other. They have some explaining to do. You've bought 2 connection kits! They owe you.”

well I’m not going down the Karen route here lol. I can return the other camera adapter without any problems.

If asking a legit tech question is considering being a "Karen" then I really have nothing further to add to this topic. When money is involved that entitles a person to ask questions and properly register a complaint if necessary. The term "Karen" typically applies to an irrational person. I consider your question legitimate and reasonable.

Is there even anyone from Tascam who monitors these forums or is it just a bunch of opinion?

Not officially. The forum is a "bunch of opinion" but some of those opinions do come from former Tascam techs. Sometimes they jump in and try to help but not in an official capacity. That's typical of unofficial forums.

Well, it seems the answer to this is tucked away somewhere on the website within the compatibility table—it states iOS 16 is only available for the iPad. Not even Tascam themselves have suggested this is the reason for my problems but must be the cause, and why my old phone works.

Is there even anyone from Tascam who monitors these forums or is it just a bunch of opinion?

No, and the way you've started, nobody here could be blamed for not giving a $£"%.

Obviously an ios issue lol

byeee

The way the dude made it sound was like I should become irate and demand that I’m owed something. The only thing that comes to mind is a Karen in the process of unknowingly becoming a Karen by that suggestion, because Karen’s don’t realize they’ve gone Karen until they’ve Karened.

I can’t even quote the last post here for some reason, the quote buttons not there, anyway bazzbass “obviously an iOS issue” comment is literally the “a bunch of opinion” i’m talking about, because it’s not an iOS issue lol. The only way this is getting fixed is Tascam providing an update.

improve my synthy Instagram videos with direct audio from my iPhone using the camera app...Anyone else try this with their phones?...The only way this is getting fixed is Tascam providing an update.

The Model series products are Front of House mixers. To my knowledge (not opinion), nobody else on this forum has reported doing what you're attempting.

So the obvious next step is to contact TASCAM Support detailing the issue, right?

My experience with the support staff has always been very positive, so best of luck (assuming TASCAM is interested in having their FOH mixer used in an unconventional way).

But don't be surprised if they suggest you buy a Mixcast4 or one of their other products designed for portable A/V work.

Last edited:
Yes Mark, you are correct and I hope to have some sort of comment back from them soon. They only seem to prefer to phone back, between 9-5EST. I’ve asked by email if they have a beta I could try.

It appears that iPad iOS 16 compatibility was released recently so I’m counting on an update for full iOS functionality soon as well. The support on this product exists for several previous iOS versions and can only explain why my old phone works fine.

No, and the way you've started, nobody here could be blamed for not giving a $£"%.

Obviously an ios issue lol

byeee

The way the dude made it sound was like I should become irate and demand that I’m owed something. The only thing that comes to mind is a Karen in the process of unknowingly becoming a Karen by that suggestion, because Karen’s don’t realize they’ve gone Karen until they’ve Karened.

@zaiusz, @BazzBass is Australian and tends to be direct, but you'll notice that (unlike you) he is not personally insulting people. In Australian, that little "byeee" means he's now put you on Ignore. Apparently several people have.

To be clear, Post #10 was unnecessary and not helpful. Post #10 serves no purpose but to elevate you above those of us who have expressed "a bunch of opinion." Up until that point your replies were tolerable and you made your "Karen" point quite clear in Post #6. My replies to you have been cordial and polite. It's unfortunate that you escalated the rhetoric with another "Karen" post (#10) and this time made a direct inference to me.

Last Friday I had to remind a new user "that most forum members tend to gauge their future interaction with new members, based on the new member's initial response to the help that was given." That new user gave me a backhanded compliment and hasn't been back since. Just like you, he didn't actually name me, but to his credit he didn't refer to me as "the dude."

In other words, now that he's gotten his information he doesn't need us anymore. That is, until the next issue comes along. But many people noticed that he reply was an attempt at being personally insulting and have put him on Ignore.

@zaiusz this is an international forum and "North Americanisms" like calling people a "Karen" are pretty much lost on the rest of the world. I would also like to remind you that my signature file specifically states that I am a male therefor making the moniker "Karen" not applicable.

It's unfortunately that you chose to try to personally insult me for responding to your publicly stated problem, and soliciting opinions. I gave you an opinion of how to handle the issue. The proper response would be "thank you" whether or not you agree with the reply.

You hare been placed on Ignore and I will not respond to any further posts from you of any type.

Reactions: BazzBass
Jeez, what a softy. I personally don’t believe stomping my feet until I get what I want, and when did I call this moderator a Karen exactly? What I was saying was acting like that suggestion is like acting like a Karen.

Last edited:
Good lord, did I stumble into facebook by accident.
Onto ignore with ya, buddy. bye -bye.

Last edited:
awwww shucks we hurt his/her feelings and (s)he's deleted his/her posts lol

Reactions: -mjk-
I didn't notice.

awwww shucks we hurt his/her feelings and (s)he's deleted his/her posts lol

this is the same guy who I’m supposed to be grateful for offering his opinion. Doesn’t even realize he blocked me.

New threads

Staff online

Members online