Quiet DR-40

Pigeonwithakeyboard

Gear owned
Tascam DR-40
Hello all,
I will start off by saying I am an animator. Visuals are my strong suit, not audio. That said, I am trying to learn.

So, I own a DR- 40 and I just finished a project which needed a couple of sound effects so I figured I would use it to record them myself. Something I typically do not do. To keep it simple I figured I would just use the on board mics and not complicate things by adding an external mic into the mix.

I set the DR-40 up close to my subject matter, cranked the input level up (while keeping an eye out to make sure it wasn't peaking), and then I started recording.

Problem is, upon playback, and once I brought the clips into Audacity, they are super faint. As if I recorded them from across the room. The wav form is almost nonexistent as well.

Is an external mic required for these type of recorders are the on board mics bad? Or am I just dropping the ball in some area. I have scoured youtube watching setup guide after setup guide and all seems to be in order hence why I am here.

Any and all input appreciated!

What kind of sound effects are you recording?

Unless you need very realistic, "high fidelity" reproduction of dynamics I would simply use the recorder's AUTO LEVEL function.

Page 50 of the Owner's Manual, under Using the Level Control Function.
Enter RECORD standby, press the QUICK button, select LEVEL CONTROL, then AUTO LEVEL.

Thanks for the input, I will be sure to familiarize myself with page 50. This Auto level function sounds like just the thing a layman like me needs.

I was recording "slurping" water and "clunking" a glass down on a table. I have a clip where someone is drinking.

I bought my DR-40 to make "casual", non-critical recordings...

For instance, I record music jam sessions to help me learn tunes.
I use the DR-40 the way I USED to use a portable tape recorder. The Auto Level function works perfectly for day-to-day recordings. Live music recorded that way sounds fine, and no problems with distortion, noise or low levels.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.