Recording level using internal microphones

dad roadie

Gear owned
Tascam DP 008EX Tascam
Hi again to all,
Had a chance to do some recording of my students today with the DP-008EX recorder. Was able to set it up fairly easily after taking a members suggestion and reading the manual. I did run into some difficulty that I hope someone might be able to explain. I basically set track 1 to record using the internal microphone on the left and track 2 using the internal microphone on the left. This was a live practice performance so the volume level was not overpowering. (acoustic instruments in a small room) The issue is that while the recording is clear the recording level is very low even with both microphones set to high and the trim controls and master set at about 3/4th of full. I have the volume control in the back set to about 6 and when playing the music back the individual channel gains for 1 and 2 about half way up. My DRo5 has never had any problem on recording at a decent level with this application. I have the DR05 out on a long term (at college) project which has one of the reasons I picked up the DP-008EX. I heard that there might be an issue with these but I can't find any information about it on the web.Got a feeling I'm just doing something incorrectly. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. I've got a bunch of students waiting for the "old guy" to figure out what he doing wrong.
All the Best!
Dad Roadie

I do not have an exact answer but some suggestions as there are too many possibilities not knowing your exact set-up.
1. Run through the quick start guide reading very closely and practicing each section many times.
2. Use headphones to simlify the output and speaker issues.
3. Play with the Demo song as the input levels will not be an issue.
My guess is that your input levels may not have been high enough but there are other things that could be at play here. Be very careful of the output levels and make sure when you start your headphone level or powered speaker volume (on the speaker) is turned way down. Coming from a DP-004 I had quite the learning curve on this unit but after much practice and reading I love the quality of the recordings I have produced with this unit. I know this is not an exact answer to your question but I hope you find some ideas in it. Good luck with your future recording.

Here's the best YouTube video (to date) to learn how to use your DP-008EX: If you run through this and duplicate his process, you may find your issue. he simplifies everything substantially, when the instruction manual, though accurate, confuses things.

New threads

Members online