Recording light

Here's the schematics, nothing much really. The value of the 330 ohms resistors is selected so that the current is 30 mA, since I used a non-regulated power supply. It might be different for other supplies or LEDs. The transistor can handle 100 mA. If you add more LEDs, you'll need a more powerful one.

I doubt that it will be possible to drive LEDs directly from the GPI interface. One source I found mentions 20 mA short-circuit current.

Gr
Frans

Attachments

• P1020823e.jpg
    P1020823e.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 115
Reactions: cmaffia
Thanks Frans. The schematics isn't the problem, for me it's the values and types used, like the transistor.. Been too long :p

Hello.

I would like to install a recording light as you did using GPI and Pro Tools.

I made GPI working perfectly with Cubase.

I was not able to do the same with Pro Tools. It seems that transport buttons of DM (only with PT) do not send GPI information. Faders, mutes and functions button do work and send information correctly but transport (i.e. play, stop and rec...). They don't send any input to GPI.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks.

mbuz

In the Utility Screen of the DM, GPI section, did you create a Key Event: Output high on Rec event? I'm not familiar with Protools, but as far as I know th GPI should work independent of the type of DAW.

Hi Headroom, thank you for the answer.

I just checked, the setup is exactly like you said.

It is really weird. With cubase everything is fine and gpi works.
With pro tools gpi it is not working.

Settings on GPI screen are correct. HUI and PT are working together plainfully. But on play, rec, stop I have no response in gpi port. It seems like the trasport buttons do not send informations to gpi port.

What that could be?

FWIW, the original post about the PunchLight convinced me to buy one.
It is working very well for me.
Works in different DAWS and the clients/singers like knowing when the red light is on.
Helpful for everybody in the production process.
http://www.punchlight.com/?q=recording_lamp_usb
Also easy to turn off if not required.

Funny your link is to the same product I was looking into.

Is it just one light that shows different colors or 3 different lights?

Also what kind of options are there for mounting? The website doesn't show the back.

Thanks

I think Punchlight is a very good option.

Thank you

cmaffia said:
Is it just one light that shows different colors or 3 different lights?

Also what kind of options are there for mounting? The website doesn't show the back.

It is one fixture that shows different colors.
The one I have has a rubberized base.
I can't remember if it came with any mounting hardware.
The actual unit is pretty small... about 1.75" tall and 2" across.
Very light weight, but very bright. (brightness is adjustable in software)
I have it sitting on top of one of my nearfield monitors.
It is easily seen by the people in the vocal room and the control room folks.
One other cool feature is assigning an extra color to the metronome beats.
This way, the third color flashes with the tempo track.
I've found it useful in a few situations where performers didn't want to hear a click.

All in all, a very well designed and implemented product.

And all it requires is a USB connection and provided software correct?
What I'd like to do is mount it in my vocal booth (I know that didn't sound right).
Does it have a disconnecting MINI USB cable? If I extend a USB cable to about 25 feet, do you think it will have a problem?

Thanks

Yes, USB and provided software worked for me.
Yes, it has a disconnecting mini USB.
No comment about mounting in the vocal booth....
I'm not sure about cable length.
Also, I should advise that I'm using it on a Mac in OSX.
I am woefully ignorant about Windows systems.
I would assume that it would work well there too.

I just installed my Punchlight USB. Decided this was a good option for the control room (visible from recording room too), especially also for the metronome function. Works out of the box in Cubase and the metronome light is great. Punchlight is very flexible in use of colors and brightness - and when set, follows notes assigned for click in Cubase.

Now, the next task will be making a pure 'recording' indicator for the outer studio door, to be controlled from the GPI output of the DM..

Arjan P said:
Now, the next task will be making a pure 'recording' indicator for the outer studio door, to be controlled from the GPI output of the DM..

This is probably not what you are seeking, but in addition to the Punchlight, I have a big red recording sign in the control room.
I have it wirelessly connected to a motion sensor in the recording room.
If anyone is in there, it turns on and stays on until they leave.
It's more just for fun.
Clients seem to enjoy it.
I like that it doesn't turn on and off each time I press the record button.

waterstrum said:
I have a big red recording sign in the control room.
I have it wirelessly connected to a motion sensor in the recording room.
If anyone is in there, it turns on and stays on until they leave.
That's not what I want - I have the punchlight in the control room and keep it freely moveable, so if I want it to be noticed inthere (non-playing musicians disturbing communication between me and their colleagues - happens more than I'd like to admit) I place it in view. No, the entrance to my studio is recording room first and then control room - I wanted it so to have daylight in the control room. Ofcourse, I want people trying to enter be aware of a recording in progress, so that's what I'll use the separate light for. How is your big red sign driven and powered?

Many thanks to Frans who was kind enough to build me a GPI punchlight for The Bastudio's live room! Frans thank you again for your kindness, time and talent!
11039103_10152623604760836_1904256656986836748_o.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: DJ X

Reactions: Headroom
I forgot to mention him as his user name here in our forum..Headroom made this for me!

Last edited:
Reactions: Gravity Jim
I know this is an old thread, but I just built myself a small circuit that activates relays on a board from 5VDC trigger signals and connected it to my DM4800 GPI port. It works fine, but I'm having the same problem that others have mentioned, namely, it works fine with the function buttons and with the channel Mute buttons, but not the transport buttons. And I, too, would like to have a punch-light come on when I enter Record mode. It just has to follow the behavior of the LED above the Record button. I can't get it to operate with any transport button, not even with Play. I know that the GPI tab of the Utility screen is properly configured or the circuit would not work with the function and mute buttons, which it does.

Is there some other screen that requires a setting change or two? If not, has anyone got this working? TIA!

OH god! I thought I was the only one looking for something like this ;-) I thought of buying a USB-relais and program it with JAVA or C#. But now I hear something of GPI-Ports, and it seems to be possible to do the job a whole lotta easier :)
Where can I find these GPIs on my Dm 3200 and where in the manual can I get some details? So, if I got things right, these GPIs can switch on/off /act as a relais themselves?

Oh - sorry for jumping in, I must admit I just flew over the posts, so point me in the right direction if I missed something or ask something already mentioned! I#m just so excited :)

@snafu I'd point you to a topic that has all the details, but we're already in it! o_O

New threads

Members online