Recording stereo mix on Model 12

J Kempster MIPS

From
UK
Website
soundcloud.com
Gear owned
DR100, DR70, X8, Model 12
Is there an easy way of recording just the stereo main mix on the Model 12, or individual sources without always creating a 'song' of 12 tracks? I haven't found a way of ending up with a simple recording on the SD card which I can load into my DAW (Adobe Audition, in case anyone asks) and start editing.
I'm not a musician, I'm a radio producer and interviewer. I don't want to load 12 tracks into my DAW with every recording I make.
Is it by design that the Model 12 will create 12 tracks, including blank ones, even if you do not arm the channels for recording?
For example, I wanted to record a quick voice track this evening to drop into a radio package. I armed just the mic channel for record, and also pressed 'Post Rec' in the hope of getting a stereo track plus the individual mono mic. The model 12 helpfully gave me an SD card full of 9 blank tracks, plus track 6 (my studio mic) and two mono tracks (11 + 12) for my main mix.
I'm finding that for the non-musician, the Model 12 is becomeing less and less useful. I wanted a good quality version of the Zoom L8, which is useful and intuitive, but poorly built. It would be a shame to have to return to the Zoom, but I'm finding the Tascam painful in everyday use!

Not an owner of these front-of-house mixers. My understanding however is the Model 12 always records a stereo mix on the 2-Track master recorder (tracks 11 and 12).

Your owner manual (OM) should describe how to create, access and export an interleaved stereo master WAV file using the signals present on tracks 11 & 12. But if you've used only one mic on one channel, then your stereo mix on tracks 11 & 12 and the interleaved stereo master file you create can only be L/R mono as there's no stereo signal to be had, yes?

My understanding also is that all the recorded tracks' WAV files (the multitrack recorder's tracks 1~10; and the 2-Track recorder's tracks 11 & 12) can be transferred/exported individually to a computer via USB or directly from the SD card using a computer's card reader. Your OM also should describe how to access and transfer only those tracks that have a recorded signal.

Also, your DAW should be capable of importing only those tracks on which you need to work.

I believe the purpose of the Post Rec button is to enable the master fader to control the signal level going to the 2-Track master recorder. Should be explained in the sticky threads found in the shaded area at the top of the forum. Check the thread indexes for the relevant posts. Try the "Basic Facts" and "Tips & Tricks" stickies.

You may also find the answers to your questions in the "Tutorial and Informational Videos" sticky posts.

At the very least, perhaps the various sticky threads may help get you pointed in the right direction for making effective and efficient use of your Model 12.

Last edited:
Thank you Mark. I'm finding the whole recording process a bit slow and clunky, to be honest. I suppose I need to take a different approach and get my head around the design concept. It's just much slower to use than the equipment I'm used to; the portastudio legacy is quite obvious.
JK

Reactions: Mark Richards
Hi @J Kempster MIPS,
@Mark Richards gave you a useful overview on various aspects, unfortunately the OM is a bit dismissive on some operation procedures and sometimes could appear obscure until the user acquires some hands-on experience, then all that appears clearer.
To record 2 tracks in the simplest way, you can follow one of these methods:

- set you input striplines and levels, press record (stop when you are done), export the stereo mix, delete the song;
- set you input striplines and levels, arm the Rec button on each track you want to record, press record (stop when done), copy the individual recorded tracks to your hard disk, delete the song from the SD card;
- use the Model 12 as an audio interface and record the tracks on your PC.

If you need more details on the above just ask.

Reactions: J Kempster MIPS
Is it by design that the Model 12 will create 12 tracks, including blank ones, even if you do not arm the channels for recording?
It is, the operating system always creates a song folder containing 12 tracks and various service files. The stereo mix is recorded on tracks 11-12 each time you press record, and overwritten if already existing. Undo function is gold.

Reactions: J Kempster MIPS
Play with it a few times and you will feel comfortable. Record, transfer and delete. ;)

New threads

Members online