Remote Layer Poor Performance

Hello Hans. Thank you for chiming in. Indeed, I have no issues with any other multitrack audio files. In fact, as I mentioned earlier, many of them exceed the 56 track culprit that I make reference to.

I can absolutely try loading the tracks in a few at a time. I may have even attempted that at some point. I honestly do not recall. I will try doing that later this afternoon and get back to you with my findings. Have a wonderful day / evening. Peter

Last edited:
Reactions: -mjk-
So, this required that I power down / up the DM-4800. Your thoughts....

MFI1vTW.jpg

Hey Peter, this issue you are experiencing is a bit of a conundrum, considering that this problem only seems to present with those 56 specific audio files (I've gone through this thread thoroughly and that appears to be the case, correct?). Add to that the fact that I've downloaded and created projects with those selfsame files, specifically performing tasks you've outlined in this thread in an attempt to replicate the issue, yet to no avail, I have to say I am stumped.
So, my OCD has led me to go over this thread even more specifically in case I may have missed something, including all the pictures you've included respecting your new PC build (Very nice, by the way), which perusal brought to my attention the fact that your new motherboard has an integrated FireWire port. I also noticed that you have a PCIe FireWire card which I assume is what you are using with your DM. The question I have is, did you shut off the integrated FireWire interface in BIOS? This likely doesn't have anything to do with your issue, but could create others for you down the road.
Just noticed your most recent post and am not sure what I am looking at. Did you experience a freeze?

@J L Bowie Hello again Jack. To say that I have spent too much time mucking around with these 56 tracks would be an understatement. I guess you can say that I am an OCD sufferer as well. The troubleshooting kind.

I tried adding a handful of tracks at a time and things seemed to be going well. But, as soon as the track count increased so did the lag time. By the way, you might be confusing my MOBO with another Asus model because it does not offer an integrated onboard FW card. Thanks for the compliment on the PC build. It's quite the beast. See below:

https://flic.kr/p/2kGr3sJ

What did you think of how all the encoder lights lit up all at once. This happened an any project that I loaded. I eventually turned the DM off / on. I am thinking of swapping out the USB cable at some point. And, yes I do have it plugged into a USB 2.0 port.

Last edited:
UPDATE: March 22, 2021. After spending a good part of the weekend seated at my DM I can now confirm that the issue that I was having with the remote layer extends to other multi-track sessions that I loaded. The 60 track session that I thought was behaving properly started acting up as well. So did a 21 track session that I created.

Back to the drawing boards as the old saying goes. I will have look at things like the Firewire PCIe card (drivers-cable). USB etc. I wonder if I could install an older version of Cubase as well.

Last edited:
I wonder if I could install an older version of Cubase as well.
Yes, you can indeed. With Steinberg, a license for one of their titles also allows you to use an older version. In the Steinberg download assistant, you can currently still download version 9.5.

@Arjan P Thank you. Do you know if our DM uses the 1394A or 1394B FW protocol?

@Peter Batah No, I have no clue - but I'm wondering if your issue is related to the FireWire connection at all, since this is the connection that only transports the audio. All control signals (and possibly meter bridge signals) go by USB.

@Arjan P Thanks anyway! Just looking at all of my options at this point. I also plan on swapping out the USB cable. No harm in trying.

Reactions: Arjan P and -mjk-

New threads

Members online