Replace analog 644 with a digital portastudio

PRubens

Gear owned
Tascam 644
After 20 years without recording I intend to buy a digital portastudio

What model woul be like a 644 Tascam which I used to manage quite well in my « old time »

thank for your answers

Pierre from France

I think for reliability, you would be better off using a DAW (recording/mixing software) in a computer, along with an Audio-Digital interface.

The interface will supply the hardware inputs (mics, guitars, midi) as well as outputs for monitor speakers and headphones. The determining factor will be how many inputs you require for simultaneous recording.

This option doesn't provide the hands-on faders and knobs of the physical console. All of that is done within the DAW using on-screen faders and knobs. Takes a little getting used to.

If you don't have a computer or don't want a computer based DAW, you might look at Tascam's DP-24SD or DP-32SD Portastudios.

Reactions: PRubens
a new portastudio would be the way to go, using a DAW is not the same as what you used before. Learning a DAW is time consuming, and tweaking your PC to allow Windoze to not botch all of your recordings is a royal pain. I gave up and bought an old 2488 machine from the early 2000's. These new portastudios are so much better as a total solution. You can do it all within the unit, even mastering.

Reactions: PRubens
It's simple, really: the OP says in his first sentence:
"I intend to buy a digital portastudio"
And then asks which current one is most like the Tascam 644?
(BTW, I don't know the answer, but from what I read, I would not recommend a Model xx)

Reactions: -mjk-
Sorry
It has been such a long time I got far away from music….
I realise, just today, that I already used a DAW cubase in the early 200x instead of the portastudio 644 which is even older and found one week ago in an old house….

So I just need to readapt a home studio with Cubase and all the effect boxs and softs available today

tks a lot

Pierre

I think you'll find that the current Cubase is way better than the versions in the early 2000s - but it may take some time for you to find out about the 'new' features. Good luck!

tks
I used to manage quite well the last version (already mix Analog & Digital)
Have a nice end if year time

New threads

Members online

No members online now.