S/PDIF connections

mrtepayne

Gear owned
Tascam DM 3200
I am sorry for asking this again, but I just cannot for the life of me route signal from a Spdif output of a M-Audio Delta 1010 card into the Digital Din RCA input of my DM 3200. I have tried every combination in the routing, but I am just missing something!!! I want it in channels 25 and 26. I connected the same output to my Focusrite Pro 40 and I get signal so I know it is working. I just can't get the signal into theTascam board. Sorry I need hand holding..... Thanks! Tim

1. ROUTING / INPUT screen
2. LAYER SELECT: CH17-32
3. SOURCE SELECT: DIN
4. Move cursor to CH 25 INP
5. Select DIN1 L or DIN2 L with JOG WHEEL
6. Press ENT
7. Repeat steps 4 to 6 for CH 26 / DINx R

Sorry, if I didn't write all labels/names correctly ... not at my console right now.

Hey thanks Jarno! I set it up that way but still no luck. So my question is can you use the adat and the dins at the same time? Thanks again for your help! Tim

Maybe you should check out DETAILS on DIGITAL/FORMAT screen to see if DM is reading your SPDIF signal correctly.

ANd yes, you can use ADAT and DIN at the same time.

OK I will look at that. Thank you for helping out!!

I might just add that on the DIGITAL page, for DIN, make sure it reads SPDif and not AES/EBU. If it does, you will need to change that to SPDif. As mentioned, make sure your DM is the master clock source for the other digital equipment, and all equipment is at the same sample rate. Try different cables. Just some thoughts.

Yeah this is the problem I finally figured out. I have the DM set to the internal clock and the M-Audio set to external SPDIF and it reads and locks on the DM clock. So when I go into the Digital setup and click on the details of the signal info it shows the Fs as 48kHZ and word length at 20bit instead of 24bit. I have no idea why the M-audio says it is locked on but returns 20bit and not 24bit. Thanks for all your help Jarno and everyone!

Jarno said:
Maybe you should check out DETAILS on DIGITAL/FORMAT screen to see if DM is reading your SPDIF signal correctly.

ANd yes, you can use ADAT and DIN at the same time.

Thanks for all the replies and help! I finally got it working! Now for one last question! Is it possible to route the signal from channel 2 of the SPDIF's to Aux 1 and 2 for external effects? I have a stereo dual channel Lexicon Effects unit with digital SPFID connections I'd like routed to Aux 1 and 2 from the Din's. Thanks again! Tim

mrtepayne said:
Is it possible to route the signal from channel 2 of the SPDIF's to Aux 1 and 2 for external effects? I have a stereo dual channel Lexicon Effects unit with digital SPFID connections I'd like routed to Aux 1 and 2 from the Din's. Thanks again! Tim
No. It's not possible to route INPUT -> AUX directly. You have to route INPUT -> CHANNEL and then SEND channel to AUX.

But I'm not sure, if this is what you are after. Your post isn't too clear about what's your goal.

I'm sorry I wasn't clear. I'm not the best at explaining things. I want to send and return to the Lexicon Effects unit that is connected to the channel 2 of the Digital input and output. The output from the SPDIF of the DM to the input of the effects unit and the output of the effects unit to the SPDIF input of the DM and I want that to go to the Aux channels for send and returns of the effects. It is a dual channel effects unit. I hope this is better. Thanks again!

You definitely CAN go out of the DM's Digital out via spdif to the spdif in on the Lexicon, then out of the lexicon, back in to the digital in via spdif. That's how I have my mx200 setup, although I go through a midiman 12X12 digital patchbay, but it's the same, nonetheless. You can either return the spdif back into the DM to input channels, assigned to DIN2 L R, or just go straight back to your DAW into two channels that are armed. If you want to use your AUX layer, you Could assign your encoders to send whatever channel you have selected to go out to an AUX Channel, and then have that AUX channel go out to Digout 2.

Are you going to send your stereo mix from your Daw out to the Lexicon via spdif? or just one track at a time? Which Lexicon unit are you using...I ask because although you can send a high sample rate out via spdif, my mx200 only accepts 44.1KHz and 48KHz. I normally record everything at 88.2, so I had to buy a converter to cut that down to a lower sample rate for my VoiceWorks, Mx200, and other digital equipment that can only use 44.1 or 48K.
Also, as you mentioned in an earlier post, you have noticed that the DM reports only 20bits on a known 24bit signal on the details page. I have read somewhere that this is normal, and that the signal is really still 24bit. It's NOT being truncated to 20bits, despite what the digital details page says. Just ignore it.

Hi TascMan! Thanks for your replay. I am using a MX300 and Sonar X2. What I am trying to do is setup an external insert in the effects channel of Sonar. It asks for a send channel and return channel. That way I could setup a bus in Sonar and have the effects in the bus and then send what channels I want to use the Lexicon to through that bus. I record at 48K. I am still very confused on routing from the DAW back through the DM. So now I have the SPDIF's from channel 2 Lf and Rt on channels 27 and 28. I have used the Lexicon on a Yamaha board on the Aux send and return channels. I just can't for the life of me setup a simple send and return channel on the DM. On the routing of the DM on the Input I have Din 2-L on channel 27 inp and rtn. and Din 2-R on channel 28. On the Output I have on Input Bypass set to Din. Terminal select I have Digital Out. and Output select I have Din 1-L through Din 2-R set. On the Output Slot I have on Input Bypass set to Din. Terminal Select set to Slot1 Trk 25-32. And Output Select set to Din 1-L through Din 2-R. Not sure what to else to do. Thanks again for your help!!

OK. There's a LOT to sort out here. First let me say that this can be done and I will give you some directions. However, I am in a hotel in Florida right now, doing this from my laptop. I am armed with the back of my hotel receipt where I have drawn out your intended routing, and the DM 3200 PDF manual. So, I might miss something, but I don't think so.
Before getting started, I want you to know that the labels "INP" and "RTN" on the inputs are confusing. "INP" here, in the routing/input page, means just what you think...What is the input for this channel? Enter it here. HOWEVER..."RTN" is not a send of that channel. "RTN" in the channel inputs is meant to offer you a place to have an alternate input in the case of going from tracking to mixing, where, assumedly you would no longer want to have external inputs, like microphones, coming in; you would rather want your raw recorded tracks coming in, like from your DAW, or tape deck, allowing you to mix. The action of swapping the Channel inputs from "INP" to "RTN" is accomplished by batch selecting 8 channels at a time, at the bottom middle of the input page, and then moving the curser over to "SRC Invert" on the left and hitting enter. If you have already set up your RTN inputs for each of the channels to accept SLOT 1, TRKs 1-32, then you can now mix down to a stereo output in the DM. It's not required, but this is how you would normally mix Out of the box "OTB". Many of us mix right in our DAW, and simply use the stereo send from there as our monitoring source. It's up to you, and either way works. But, that's what the RTN parts of the channel inputs are for, generally speaking, of course.

OK, on to the nitty gritty....
You want to create an effects loop in sonar, via spdif, through your MX300. Piece of cake. You have to remove the idea in your head that you have to put the daw's effect sends on input channels for this to work...you don't. You can create the loop without any fader action at all. This way, you have the full signal going out to your 300, and back in from your 300 into Sonar.
Step 1: FW channels. Set up Sonar to send a stereo output for your effect send via a pair of FW SLOT 1 Tracks. It really doesn't matter which you choose, although for a stereo signal you should use an odd number for the left channel and an adjacent even number for the right channel. Just for the sake of this, let’s choose SLOT1OUT-TRK 31 for the left side and SLOT1OUT-TRK32 for the right side. You will also need to select inputs for your effects return in SONAR, so select SLOT1IN-TRK31 and SLOT1IN-TRK32.
Step 2: On DM go to Routing/OUTPUT Tab--(yes, I did say Output tab because we are going to bypass any inputs here. We want to take this signal directly to the digital outs).

To move within the page, you will be using your arrow keys to move the cursor and the jog wheel to change selections and the enter key to make your selection final.

Step 3: On the output page, start on the right side at SOURCE SELECT. Choose SLOT 1 (I am assuming that your FW card is in SLOT 1 here.)
Step 4: Go to the middle of the page and under TERMINAL SELECT, select Dig OUT.
Step 5: Now on the left side, look under DIGITAL OUT, and you will have 4 spots to choose from. Spot 1 and 2 are for DigOUT1 L and R. Spot 3 and 4 are for DigOUT2 L and R. Since you said that your spdif is set up under Digital 2, we will use spot 3 and 4 for DigOUT2 L and R.
Step 6: Move the cursor to spot 3 and, using your Jog Wheel, turn it until you see "SLOT1 TRK31". Hit enter. Now, go down one more spot and do the same for spot 3, but make this one, "SLOT1 TRK32" Hit enter.

You now should see your MX300's meters moving in response to anything you may have assigned to your Sonar Effect send in this loop. Now, let’s get the new and improved signal out of the 300 and back into the DM, and on to Sonar's returns.

Step 1: Staying on the Routing pages, select "OUTPUT SLOT" since we are going to use the slot1 FW Tracks to back into SONAR.
Step 2: Under Source Select, select your source...DIN (digital IN...We’ll sort out DIN1 or DIN2 in a minute)
Step 3: Under Terminal Select, select your terminal....SLOT1. Now since we are using TRKS 31 and 32 for this example, our terminal will actually be SLOT1- TRK 25-32.
Step 4: On the left side, under OUTPUT SELECT you will see SLOT1 TRK 25-32. There are 8 spots here. Spot 1 is for SLOT1's output over TRK 25. Spot 2 is for SLOT1's output over TRK 26 and so on to spot 8, which will be for SLOT1 TRK 32. So...move the cursor to spot 7, jog wheel it until you see DIN2-L. Now do the same for spot 8, which will be DIN2-R. Hit enter for each one.
Last step: Now go to SONAR and check your setup. You should see meters running in the effects return.
That should do it...enjoy,
Steve

Hi Steve. Thank you so much for the detailed instructions!! As I mentioned before I need hand holding on this project. This is exactly what I needed. I haven't had a chance to finish the setup, but I can't wait to get it setup and recording!! If you were in AZ my wife and I would buy you lunch, dinner, 12 pak or something for taking the time to help out!!!! :) What DAW do you use? Since hooking up the DM 3200 I get audio dropouts at times especially when making changes in the DAW while it's playing. Thanks again!! Tim

Live in PA, but I have been through AZ. Pretty neat area. I was in Scottsdale and Phoenix last month. Going to Vegas next month. (I know, not AZ, but pretty close)
Glad I could help...let me know how it went.

BTW, track/mix with Reaper, master with AA3.

It works great just as you said. I had all the settings but one. There is a huge learning curve with these things! But thanks to your help and the help of other folks on this forum I am getting there. I am still having a problem with audio drop outs. Especially with the DM 3200. It's random but frequent. I can be looking through settings in Sonar X2 or just hit the solo button on the console and it will just drop out and Sonar will pop up the message about audio dropping out. I replaced a slow Western Digital hard drive with a new, very fast SSD hard drive and that seemed to help. I have played with the latency settings in Sonar. Are there latency settings somewhere in the DM settings? Thanks! Tim

He wants to use an external reverb via digital I/O! Sure that's doable, you can route Aux 1/2 as the input to a digital out, and bring the return back into a couple console channels, no? You can send channel aux out -> master aux out -> digital out -> external reverb, and External reverb out -> digital in -> channel ins.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.