Sample Lock

Alan Dunn

Gear owned
MX-2424
I am new to the MX2424 and am running into some errors, some with messages and some just visual.
I can't get the sample lock to input ( all I can get is a blinking light on the sample lock ). When I try to record or set audio signal I receive the following message "Write error on record". What do I need to do to get initiated for record function?

Thanks,
Alan

I am trying to lock to the internal clock. All settings are set to internal but the sample lock is not showing. I think that this is causing some other issues. I can't get audio signal to show on the recorder but am showing that the tracks are arming for record (red record light blinking), when ever I try to record it will run a few seconds them give me the error message "Write error on record".
Another issue is that when I go in and set for analog after powering down the recorder goes back to showing digital when I power back up.
Any help would be appreciated.
Alan D.

The internal clock is the default unless you have it set for external clock. Is the machine set as master? It’s not set to be a slave. What is the hard drive and is it correctly formatted, is it mounting? If the settings analog to digital keep changing back on start up you may not have saved the setting before shutting down, I think it’s in the menu in the 900’s

Alan

I am sure on the hard drive as it is mounting and unmounting correctly. I always confirm the changes I make, is there something else to make sure the save is completed.
I will check on the master/slave setting and let you know what I find.

Thanks for assistance, I am really getting frustrated as the seller of the unit had it all checked prior to sending and said no problems but I am running into problem after problem, but I think it could be operator error.

Thanks,
Alan D.

Only thing I can find about master / slave is setting 115 and that is set to master as the tl-bus rate. (Use master 1x, 2x )

There is a master slave indicator on the from of the unit. This should let you know the setting, I am not near my mx at the moment, due to trying to stay home, I’ll have a read of the manuals tonight ( morning here now). I think the last owner may have used the unit to chase code and clock and their settings somewhere in the endless setting options may be wrong for you. I have a full printout of the error messages but again it is over at the studio, maybe I’ll go over there later today.
Cheers

Reading the manual, a blinking sample lock light means that the MX is still set to receive an external clock source that is not there. It could be the past owner was using the MX with film / video where he had a master clock for all of the video gear?

Menu 002 has the settings for the internal external clock source. Have you got the tutorial for the MX? has some good info about the menu in it, link here. https://tascam.com/downloads/tascam/305/MX_Tutorial_1.pdf

The OWners manual has a complete list of menu settings https://tascam.com/downloads/tascam/305/MX_Complete_1_04.pdf

Alan

I have all of the manuals and have read through them and still can't find any solution to my issues. I agree with a setting is wrong and I just can't seem to find the right one to fix the issue.

The settings are all set to internal clock.

One other thing is that when I power all up the mixer meter shows lights on all 24 of the channels hooked to the recorder and same when I power down, all 24 channels show signal on the board meter bridge.

I can arm the channels on the recorder for receiving signal but can't get any signal from the board to the recorder. If I hit the record it will run for a few seconds and give me the error message "Write error on record".

Still stumped on this thing, any help is appreciated.

Alan D.

The lights on the mx do light up on the mx during startup, some type of self check, sometimes 4 channels sometimes more. I don’t know about all 24 and during shutdown? Are you saying it’s sending a full volume to the mixer as well?

If this was working before you received it, pop the lid off and reseat the plugin cables on everything, there could be a bad connection?

Alan

The lights I am referring to are the 24 connected channels on the meter bridge of the Mackie 32x8. I get the four channels on the recorder light up during start up.
I did pop the top and checked connections, will go back and reseat them again just to be sure.
If I am getting the signal to the mixer during start up and power down wouldn't that indicate that the recorder is sending signal to be board showing for good connectors etc.?

The lights on the mixer will light up a little on start up and shut down but not peak just a little signal. It it’s holding a peak that’s different.

It will mean the analog sound card is activating and I don’t think the sound card is the problem.

By the way, never connect the output to anything that can have phantom power turned on, phantom destroys the capacitors on the sound card output stage.

Leave this with me it give it more thought.
Alan

Alan, thanks so much. You may me think about this thing from a different point of view. I changed the drive from 0 to 1 and was able to get the buss' to show record signal. After a little playing around I was able to get all channels to pass signal from the board to the recorder. It seems the only problem I am having now is "Write error on record". I am able to get the record function to start then after about 2 seconds I get the above error. I think if I can get that problem resolved I will be all set.
I was told it was not a simple recorder to set up but was great when you get it going. I look forward to getting some tracks down if I can resolve the write error.
Alan D.

I am using the drive in the front. It's the one that can be removed. Is it possible for that drive to do everything but not record correctly?

Last edited:
Is there anywhere to find a list of error messages and possible causes and solutions?

I had a look at the error messages today, not much help.

Write error on record: there is a write error encountered during record. NO AUTOMATIC punch out occurs.

Not much help there.

Read the sample reference paragraph in the manual, are you sure it’s on automatic 002. And that 001 is not set to video?

If it looks like a drive issue, try a low level format and initiate (fat32) see it it can do it.

I think it’s menu in the 700’s

I'll address those and recheck to be sure all is ok.
Is there a new list of acceptable drives somewhere so I can confirm the drive I am using doesn't have any compatibility issues.

Thanks,
Alan D.

All settings are correct, did a low level format and initialize and same error persists.

More research, could this be a firmware issue? I don't have a TL-media card but found one on e-bay for $8.00 and ordered it. I can't get my mx-view up so I have no way to update firmware except thru the tl-media card, correct.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.