Transcend UHS-I SD 300S 256GB SDXC
When I insert the brand new SD card. Model 24 says “Invalid card Change card”

pressing the jog wheel does nothing.

Any ideas??

Did you format the card in the machine?

Any ideas??

The error message list in your Owner Manual has a pretty good clue:
Invalid Card Change Card:
Something might be wrong with the SD card. Change the SD card.

Next clue:
  • The TASCAM-approved SD card list on the TASCAM support page for the Model 24 shows only one Transcend card:
  • Transcend SDXC/SDHC 300S TS256GSDC300S 256GB
Is that the same as the card you described?
Does your computer recognize/format the card?

Does the Model 24 come with a TASCAM-provided SD card so you can boot it out of the box? If so, can you use that to see if your firmware's up to date?

If you don't have a TASCAM supplied boot SD card, you might want to try Sandisk instead. Sandisk has an excellent reputation for reliability.

Last edited:
Mjk - I couldn't format the card in the mixer because it won't recognize it.

Mark - There was one Tiny difference is the SD card. I bought the correct one. We'll see if that fixes it. Thanks for giving it a closer look than i did. If this new card works it will be because there is a "G" in the title.

Mjk - I couldn't format the card in the mixer because it won't recognize it.

I think I posted in the other thread that I would put the card in the PC and format it there, with the goal of getting it to mount on the Model 24 and then immediately reformatting it on the 24.

MJK - Thanks. I'll try that if the new card isn't recognized by model 24.

Reactions: -mjk-
Todd, please let us know if that fix does work. Thanks.

I ordered another card with the exact specs. The same card I already have came again so I'm assuming that I have the correct card. It is exactly what was listed by Tascam. First I tried to reformat it to what my macbook already said the card was ( ExFAT). So...

When Formatting (erasing) to:

ExFAT - Invalid card. Unit Model 24 does not freeze. Mixer works fine once SD card is removed.

MS-DOS (FAT) - Swirling animation for 1 second before freezing Model 24 mixer. All channels seem to work while it's frozen. Also bluetooth pairs fine. (Must reboot for the REC buttons on each channel to light up etc.)

Has anyone had any luck with the other cards that are suggested?

Don't buy: Transcend 256GSD300S on the back and UHS-I SD 300S 256GB class 10, 4K, Read up to 95MB/s on the front of the card.

Reactions: singaiya
Can anyone personally verify that any of the recommended SD cards work for the Model 24 mixer?

I use: SanDisk Extreme PRO SDXC V30 U3 Class 10 64GB 170MB/s and it works like a charm even if I think it's not exactly the same as they recommend.

The card you bought WILL work with it. I have the same one. You're in the same chicken and the egg scenario I was in. I bought a Transcend 256 GB card that was on the approved list. When I got my Model 24, it had firmware 1.0. Unfortunately, you need to have at least version 1.2 to use SD cards larger than 64gb. I spent $10 and got a 32gb SD card at my local camera shop, plugged it in and got 'No Sys File. Would You Like One Created?' Then I downloaded and updated to the latest firmware with the smaller SD card installed and after that I was able to use the 256gb card.

I too have not been able to format an SD card. I wrote about it here: https://www.tascamforums.com/threads/cannot-format-sd-card.7608/

Nothing works. I've tried 5 different SD cards, at least two of which are on the TASCAM-approved SD card list. Formatting them first on the Mac does not work. Nothing works. The unit is basically unusable.

@Freebird, were you able to get the card you used (SanDisk Extreme PRO SDXC V30 U3 Class 10 64GB 170MB/s) to work with firmware 1.0?

Thanks,

Doug Ward

As described in post #12 by Matthew Fogel:
I spent $10 and got a 32gb SD card at my local camera shop, plugged it in and got 'No Sys File. Would You Like One Created?' Then I downloaded and updated to the latest firmware

Apparently FW 1.0 may only work with SDHC 32gb or less and FW can't be updated without a functioning SD card.

Shame on TASCAM for being cheap and not providing a card that works with 1.0 to get people started.

SanDisk makes very reliable cards. Perhaps that's why they cost more.

Last edited:
Okay for those having issues with finding a card that works for the Model 24 I recommend spending $15USD to pick up a SanDisk brand SDSDUSC-016G-JNJIN 16GB Sandisk 16GB Class 10 SDHC UHS-I Up to 80MB/s Memory. This Absolutely should work if there are no issues with the board. Once installed, immediately upgrade the firmware to the latest following: https://tascam.com/downloads/products/tascam/model_24/e_model-24_fw-update_va.pdf If the upgrade succeeds, I promise, every card listed on the supported list should work - so you should be able to POST FIRMWARE UPGRADE, pop in a larger capacity card and get to recording. If that does not work, call Tascam's Support Desk. https://tascam.com/us/support/contact/helpdesk +1-323-726-0303 They are a small team and they are very helpful. They will be able to tell you the steps to either return to seller or RMA depending on how far out you are from the purchase date.

*I am not affiliated with Tascam, but in my dayjob I have over 20 years experience in Technical Support. I started as an HP contractor and learned this method: https://redmondmag.com/articles/2006/02/01/troubleshooting--the-hp-way.aspx

...Also, on this forum I know of a few RMAs and returns so it's entirely possible that you got a bum one. After all, these are Prosumer level mixer recorders. They are not Professional mixer recorders.

Last edited:
FYI:
JNJIN in the card number is just a region identifier. It's the preceding numbers that are important.

it's entirely possible that you got a bum one. After all, these are Prosumer level mixer recorders. They are not Professional mixer recorders.
Great post, Matthew, but this last part I have to disagree with. Even if the 24 was a toddler play mixer recorder - it should do what it is designed to do for an acceptable amount of time without trouble. If brand new units, not 1 in a million but more than occasional, fail before seriously getting used, there is a big issue in quality control at the production source.

Arjan, I do agree with you. They definitely should do a better job quality control wise, regardless of the price point. No argument there.

Reactions: Freebird
Answer to: Dough Ward that asked me: @Freebird, were you able to get the card you used (SanDisk Extreme PRO SDXC V30 U3 Class 10 64GB 170MB/s) to work with firmware 1.0?

I don't remember exactly since it was some months ago... but I think that I first loaded an OLD leftover Sandisk card that only have 16GB storage, and THEN I downloaded new firmware, installed it, and after that I formatted the Sandisk Extreme Pro 64GB.

So... as Matthew Fogel & Mark Richard say's: If the firmware is too "old" you are restricted to an SD-card below 32GB.

New threads

Members online