SD Card Recording Capacity

Joe Lynch

Gear owned
Tascam D24SD
I'll be doing a 2 hour show that I would like to record to the data card. I'm using the DP24SD. I'll be recording 8 tracks.

My question is this: What size data card would I need to be able to fit 8 tracks at 120 minutes?

Don't want to run out of space

Quick and dirty rule, half a gig for a 4 minute song. So a 32 gig card would theoretically handle at 64*4=256 minutes of music with some to spare for edits post show.

However speaking from first hand experience DO NOT max out the card.

These cards do not keep the same write speed as they fill up past about 80% they can’t keep up with the data rate and start to cause write errors.

So my advise - just get a 32gig card, and keep the safety margin.

Reactions: Mark Richards
Thanks, I think I've got a 64 gig in it now. I don't plan on editing on the DP24 though, most likely will export to use DAW for editing.

Double check that 64gig SD card *well* before the gig mate.

The manuals suggest a 32gig SD card is the largest size that a DP24 can handle. At least in principle. I think I recall someone else saying they got a bigger card to work... but why risk it if you only need to record two hours or so and a 32 can go about double that?

the Model 12:16/24 series can definitely go higher... I use 64 gig cards in my Mode 12 all the time.

Wow, thanks for the heads up! Mine’s been working but it’s just been used a few tracks at a time so far. Haven’t tried anything long like two hours

The gig isn’t until August so there’s trial and error time.
So this may be a stupid question but when you hit record it goes directly to the SD card doesn’t it? Would I still need to go through the whole export process through USB or could I just pull out the card and insert it into the laptop after recording?
Sorry if it’s a dumb question. I’ve just not found the manual to be super clear so far.

Yeah I thought I heard that
limit might not apply. But again, these cards can get finicky as they fill up. Best to grab a 32 and a 2nd as a spare.

I travel with a spare card in my bag for my Model 12. For a DP on the road that would mean pre formatting that spare.

good luck - the recording capability of these machines is great.

As for recording, head on up to the DP24/32 sub forum. This is the Model 12/15/24 forums. These machines are similar in some respects, and very different from each other in other ways.

The DP’s have a steeper initial learning curve, but they can actually do much more... they can take the place of a DAW.

Go and read the stickies, and most importantly watch Phil Tipping’s videos. Seriously, watch every single one in order ( and if you can swing it, buy his excellent booklet to reward him).

short answer, not quite a simple as hitting record initially.., but with some experience (and some presaved templates) it can be nearly that easy.

...Would I still need to go through the whole export process through USB or could I just pull out the card and insert it into the laptop after recording?...
It depends.

If you hit Record and let the portstudio run for the two hours and then press Stop, the resulting contiguous Track .wav files should be ok as is to use in a D.A.W.

If you set up a Song for each song performed, press Record and let it run for the length of the song, then press Stop, the resulting song's contiguous Track .wav files should be ok as is to use in a D.A.W.

I suggest testing it to be sure.

Anything else, any interruption, edit, overdub, retake, etc. will result in several non-contiguous .wav files per Track, and the only option then is to Export.

TASCAM has not certified any 64gb SD cards for the portastudios.
List as of September 2020 is here.

OM states in Section 1 - Introduction ("About SD Cards")

Use of [SD] cards that have not been verified for use could result in the unit not functioning properly.

Last edited:
Double check that 64gig SD card *well* before the gig mate.

The manuals suggest a 32gig SD card is the largest size that a DP24 can handle. At least in principle. I think I recall someone else saying they got a bigger card to work... but why risk it if you only need to record two hours or so and a 32 can go about double that?

Be very careful about that advice! A 64GB card can't even be formatted in the DP machine.

One of of the approved lists back in 2019 there was a 64GB card listed. Several of us tested using a 64GB card in the machine and we concluded that it was an error on the list. Any reference to a 64GB card has been removed in subsequent officially published lists.

Proper understanding and use of SD cards is a fundamental requirement for successful recording on the DP machines. Asking how much data a card can hold because you "don't want to run out of space" while being so unconcerned about whether the card will even work properly (i.e. is an approved card), is a recipe for disaster. Every piece of product literature produced about any of the 4 DP machine models produced over the years, including all the user manuals, specifically state that the maximum SD card size is 32GB.

@Joe Lynch My guess is you have managed to dodge the bullet so far by either not doing very much with the machine, or you haven't used that card yet. The 64G card will fail.

In the DP24/32 Equipment Related Tips | TASCAM Forums tips sticky there are the following topics related to SD cards:

-------------------------------- SD CARD RELATED -----------------------------------------------
Backing Up The SD Card…………………………………………………………………………………...Post 24
Firmware Updates…………………………………………………………………………………………....Post 28
Tascam Approved SD Cards……………………………………………………………………………….Post 17
How To Read A Sandisk Product Number……………………………………………………………Post 21
To Put The Cap On SD Card Issues……………………………………………………………………..Post 23

We put those sticky posts there for a good reason: many of us DP users, including myself, have experienced unrecoverable errors with an improper SD card. In only 1 instance have we found a faulty machine. In every other case the SD was the culprit, with an equal culpability on the firmware.

Make sure your machine is updated to the very latest firmware. Then, get several of the approved SD cards of your choice and you'll sleep a lot better.

...when you hit record it goes directly to the SD card doesn’t it? Would I still need to go through the whole export process through USB or could I just pull out the card and insert it into the laptop after recording?
Just to add to what has already been said. Yes the recordings go to the sd-card (there's nowhere else to go). If you plan on using the Export function, this will create additional files (one per mono track, 2 per stereo), and again these can only go to the card so you'd need to factor this in to your sizing calculations.... although as already mentioned, you may be able to bypass this step if you do a continuous recording.

Using a 16 gb or 32 gb SDHC card, and recording 8 tracks simultaneously, how long can I record a single song (band rehearsal.) DP 24 or DP32.

Welcome to the forum, Richard S.

This has been covered recently (as well as several times in the past).

A search of this forum will point you to the relevant posts explaining how to make the calculations.

The "New Member" sticky thread pinned in the shaded area at the top of this forum has instructions for searching, as well as information critical/important to using your portastudio.

In the sticky threads you'll also find excellent tutorial videos covering every aspect of portastudio operations and use; and lots of cool things you can do with your portastudio.

Last edited:
Welcome to the Tascam Forums, @Richard S. Please familiarize yourself with the topic lists and especially the sticky threads that are pinned at the top of the forum.

Please pay attention to the comments about firmware and approved SD cards.

Last edited:

New threads

Staff online

Members online