SD card type?

Jamie Sea

Gear owned
32sd
Hello, I've tried SanDisk Extreme twice, bought online and had problems so am trying a new card purchase from a well established retailer on the high street.
I'm wondering if anyone has tried the SanDisk Ultra?
I don't think it's listed on the Teac site for use with the 32SD but apparently it often comes supplied in new machines.
I know that there are previous threads relating to this topic but they all recommend the SanDisk Extreme which has not been a good experience for me.
So, anyone out there had good results with the SanDisk Ultra?
Many thanks.

Reactions: Phillip Holbrook
No.

anyone out there had good results with the SanDisk Ultra?
Maybe TASCAM is just fibbing:
"Use of SD cards that have not been verified for use with this unit could result in the unit not functioning properly."

All the Sandisk Ultra crashes occurred over the last four years on otherwise stable portastudios. The Ultra still is not on the most recent approved/tested list, but maybe Sandisk has recently changed the Ultra design.

If so, this would be most helpful information in case it works out for you long-term:
  • Which model: SanDisk Ultra SDHC UHS-I card or the SDXC UHS-I card
  • Which size: 16 / 32/ 64/ 128 / 256
  • The exact model #: SDSDxxx-xxxx-xxxx
Looking forward to your long-term report on the results of your experiment.

Good luck!
ps - I have 10 Sandisk Extreme PRO SD cards. None have ever failed on me.

Last edited:
I've tried SanDisk Extreme twice, bought online and had problems so am trying a new card purchase from a well established retailer on the high street.

In the past you've purchased 2 SanDisk Extreme cards but they didn't work. Not being on "the high street" may allude to them being fakes.

If you now have found a reputable dealer, I suggest that you either buy another Extreme version, or some other brand/type listed on the approved list. Otherwise you will experience failures.

I am speaking from personal experience - the Ultra series will not work. They may appear to work but it's a time bomb. The "warning" you get is the machine locking up and quite possibly the corruption of the song you were working on. Backup the card daily for protection.

https://www.tascamforums.com/posts/30581/

https://www.tascamforums.com/posts/31683/

https://www.tascamforums.com/posts/31683/edit

All of these points are moot if you aren't running the latest firmware, as the firmware updates all address stability.

Reactions: Jamie Sea
Thanks guys = will buy Extreme/avoid Ultra.

Thanks guys = will buy Extreme/avoid Ultra.

Good call. I know it goes against every fiber of our being, but it's better to pay a higher price for a known genuine card than to risk getting a fake from China. I live in Taiwan and as you can imagine, people here go to great lengths to avoid China fakes. But they are everywhere.

Going to point out again that Tascam sent me a 16GB Ultra microSDHC UHS-1 Card as part of their rebate program. I hope they wouldn't send a known bad card...

I haven't tried it yet. Soon.

FP

I don't know why they do that, but they do sent out machines with cards that are known to not work. I have the original 2GB card for the DP-32 and there is no way it will work.

Reactions: Felonious Punk
MJK while I have your attention one more question please. I'm sorry for such basic stuff.
My system update was done for me by a neighbour.
Before I load the machine with a decent SD card can I just check I have the latest system?

It reads "Ver1. 08 0025"....

With a legit SanDisk 32 Extreme and this firmware I should be good to go right?

After your reply I won't bother you guys again - hopefully I'll be too busy putting down some killer tracks. Thanks for your help.

You can find the latest version on the Tascam site: https://tascam.com/us/product/dp-32sd/download. 1.08 appears to be the latest version.

On that page you can find the SD card info and the Owner's Manual Addendum which I recommend you download and read.

Im using ultras, extremes and some sony card. I bought lexors high speed didn't work but seller was shady imho.
Im also using an unknown mini, too small to read print.

Please bare in mind, my dp is very lightly used, never loaded up with tracks editing effects etc.
If I ever do something important with it, Ill be going with top shelf cards.

New threads

Members online