So apparently there has been a low speed 234..(?)

GalAtiya

Gear owned
Hi guys
I bought a tascam 234 in really mint condition. What i didn't knew is that it works on normal speed (ad didn't say it, and i never knew there was a model that featured normal speed). Anyway the brochure reprints from 83' tells that it is a 1 7/8 speed version and all other specs are the same.
Now, i wanna turn it into a double speed unit. Any idea on where to start?

Do you reckon it is something fairley simple to do or should i take it to the tech? (i have basic knowledge in electronics. Studying sound engineering but just started ...)

Cheers

I don't think I ever saw a slow speed one but the answer may be much easier than you may realize. I would inspect the motor pulley for the size. I suspect that is all they did to change the speed. In the X-3 and 22-2 they have different speeds but when you find out how it is nothing but a different belt and a changed size pulley on the capstan motor. Same is true of the BR20.

Along with changing the capstan motor speed,the record and playback EQ circuitry along with noise reduction circuitry would have to be modified to reflect the higher tape speed.Not a job for a newbee.Also, the tech you would take it to would have to charge you $$$ to come up with the EQ mods.My suggestion-use as is.

I would concur with this opinion as too many times the job is over simplified and not all factors are weighed. I would not want to have to do one of those

New threads

Members online