Standalone Tracksheet Program

Tom Boyles

From
Southern Oregon USA
Gear owned
DP-32SD, DP-32, A2340SX
In a different forum discussion (https://www.tascamforums.com/threads/cd-drive-issue-on-dp-32.9273/), I mentioned a program I wrote that is a stand-alone program that doesn't rely on spreadsheet programs (like Excel) and uses SQLite for the backend database (which is usually pre-installed on most Windows 10/11, Mac OSX and Linux OS).

Here is a link to the documentation for that application (that I am currently calling "Tracksheet Notebook") and it can be exported to work in Windows, Mac and Linux.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MK15dxeqwSzDXkTGIT-jlrtrKy4sfS_M/view?usp=sharing

Currently has tracksheet modules for:
(1) DP-24/DP-24SD, (2) DP-32/DP-32SD and (3) 2488/2488MKII/2488neo

I'm really going to want to work with a few people to test it first before making it available to a bunch of people and want to track who currently has a copy.

This was an application I put together for my own personal use, but am open to seeing if the community would get some use from it. So I stress that this application may contain bugs, typos and other oddities that I just live with. But am open to suggestions and ideas to improve the program.

After reviewing the application guide and it looks like something you'd like to check out, please PM me and I will work with you to get a copy for your OS and have you try it out.

Last edited:
Thank you for your offering. Sent PM

I'd be interested in a general studio management program, not limited to a specific recorder, and flexible enough to cover things like Mastering.

The reason I have made my software recorder specific is because each one has specific playback/track count and configuration.

I haven't thought through how to make it more flexible. I have to set a pre-defined number of tracks because of screen-space, etc.

I'll have to put some thought to that. Probably would take some reprogramming or completely different approach to make it less specific to recorder model.

Reactions: -mjk-
I have searched high and low for a studio management app that would keep track of clients, media, jobs, time, etc.. They are either some web-based subscription monstrosity or, something discontinued. I think there is money to be made out there. While I do own a DP-32, these days I use it for location recording only.

You've done an outstanding job, Tom.:)

Some thoughts:

A track sheet is used primarily for planning and keeping the recording session organized and moving along efficiently. It also memorializes the session for future reference. The "comments" fields are a good way to capture custom Input Dynamic FX settings, external gear used, etc. Nice!

A mixdown/mastering sheet is used primarily to memorialize the creation of the production master should there be a future need to re-create it.

So I can see having two versions perhaps:

A Tracking version (the current iteration);

A Mixdown/Mastering version with replaced fields to capture things not saved with the song by the portastudio:
  • The fader position during mixdown (which the DP series doesn't store);
  • External gear/FX used during mixdown;
  • Single/multi-band compression settings if the presets are customized (which aren't retained unless the custom setting is stored as a user preset);
  • Use of dithering and normalization (not stored);
  • And possibly the Master EQ settings (stored, but easy to accidently reset).

Last edited:
And Tom, before any more time goes by I want to express my appreciation for your contributions, and I want to say that you are already a very valued member of the forum.

Reactions: Mark Richards
Thank you @-mjk- , that is very nice to hear. I feel like a part of the "family" and love that there's a place to chat about TASCAM and TEAC gear. I love a good challenge to keep my old programmer brain working. :)

I see what you're getting at in regard to a program that you'd like to have. I wrote something years ago to track my clients in a photography studio that I tracked clients, job number, backup location and time editing final photos.

I could definitely wrap my head around something of what you are looking for. Track data in a SQLite database and allow a way to search for clients by say, email address. Something like that?

I'd really like to explore that with you to help you out (this would be a different program build from the tracksheet program).

If you don't mind, maybe put together a wireframe in Excel or even just a hand-drawn sketch of what would demonstrate the screen layout of what you'd like. I would certainly be happy to see what I can come up with.

Last edited:
Reactions: -mjk-
@Mark Richards

Thank you for that feedback. I wonder if in the Song Notes expanded view (for example), if I added a "Final Mixdown/Mastering" button that would open a new screen for that project that would allow memorialization of the settings you mentioned with fields to enter specific settings and save that to a table in the same database.

Then when the project is open, the Mixdown/Mastering area can be recalled to review what settings were used. I like it a lot. I just have to rethink the relational part of the database tables to connect the project to each song and then the mixdown/mastering settings for the overall project.

It's great input that would take some effort, but I love the idea of pushing this program to do even more.

Looks like a very useful program indeed, though I don't own any of the standalone recorders. One thing I missed in the pdf is the setting of sample rate - you'd expect it next or close to the bit rate dropdown.

And BTW, why not a freely editable time signature setting?

@Arjan P - Great questions.

As stated in my original post... "This was an application I put together for my own personal use, but am open to seeing if the community would get some use from it."

I didn't need an editable time signature, but am open to changing that if people need it and want to use my program.

I also, would just look at my project to know if it is 44.1 or 48 for sampling rate, so never needed to memorialize that setting.

I realize that it may seem like I would have written this to address all needs in a program like this, however, I can only know my needs and it is purely on a whim that I thought I would see if the community would get use of this type of program and that would certainly inspire me to expand on it further.

Oh don't get me wrong, these are just quick observations from glancing through the pdf. And if there would have been such a program when I was using my Akai DPS-16 I certainly would have loved it!

But for me, starting any recording session (using Cubase now) always begins with determining the basics, being Sample Rate, Bit Rate and Time Sigature - and that's why I noticed the things I mentioned.

Perfect. Thank you for taking time to look at the online guide.

Your observations are valid. This feedback and the feedback from others are invaluable to me to help me create a "feature list" for future updates. So I really appreciate the thoughts you've shared.

It's nerve wracking, to make public, a product and be open to review. I just hope to keep the idea in manageable perspective... so sorry to be a little jumpy. :)

Reactions: dctdct and -mjk-
It's nerve wracking, to make public, a product and be open to review.
Very much know the feeling.:)

Just listened to some of your songs. Nice work! DM me if you'd like some suggestions on the mixing.

I've been working on revisions on my 'Tracksheet Notebook' program and have a screenshot to run by anyone interested in taking a look.

This particular screenshot is a new addition I've added for a 'Track Settings' for each track to store settings used for the Fader, EQ and Effects. In the program, each track has a "gear icon" on he left that when clicked, brings up the settings for that track.

Let me know what you think:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cP3yVGYssWapVbbheAgTtBLhx-2TUK3t/view?usp=sharing

Next on the punch list:
  • Editable Time Signature dropdown
  • A mixdown section for:
    • External Gear and FX used (editable list and field for settings used)
    • Compression settings used
    • Dithering and Normalization used (on/off for each)

Reactions: Mark Richards
Reactions: Tom Boyles
Count me as very impressed too!

The studio tracking info that -mjk- wants sounds very similar to software used by vet offices to track owners, pet names, schedule visits & follow-ups, file lab test & x-ray results, birthday reminders, medications, vaccinations status and reminder mailings, and billing etc. -- they use a simple-to-use (intuitive) but pretty comprehensive system to manage a vet practice and all the furry patients.

You might be able to view online demos of such systems to get other ideas, and if I recall (as a former company I worked at sold such systems) it was modular too; which was a benefit for the staff as you could have an office employee manage the data entry and billing; while the clinical staff would handle anything related to the test results and meds.

Old No7

Here's a few screenshots of updates to Tracksheet Notebook:

Backup Information -- Track where and how a song is backed up:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ImbLWkM1DATvVcS2BTlU5KKPQZLIHNN0/view?usp=sharing

Mixdown -- External Gear and notes about gear used and if Dithering or Normalization is on or off:
(This is opened by the "Mixdown Details" button on the previous screen above)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_B13DstB-rQTKBizRJuRVmZnWlwL6EbQ/view?usp=sharing

Mixdown -- Compressions settings for three bands (Low, Mid, High):
(This is opened by the "Compression Settings" button on the previous screen above)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PGrxNgDBTlrHTUFV8N_3x7YQtLqmTB5J/view?usp=sharing

Open to suggestions, comments or pointing out things I missed.
Thank you my friends.

New threads

Members online