Syncing two TASCAM 238

enginEAR

Gear owned
238 (2), 488 mkII, MA-8
Hey there,

in what ways can two TASCAM 238 be synchronized? Is there another option next to the MIDIizer? Looking forward to your answers.

I don't think they can be hooked together and work. There needs to be some kind of intelligence in between them to do the control as I understand it. wrkbee would know exactly what is needed.

Unless one wants to do months of wiring on an adams-smith....mts1000 or ats500 are the name of the game.

238s mirror setup sync layouts of their former bigger brothers such as multiple tsr8s, 58s, atr60-8 etc. All of which I worked with.

Two 238s can be syncronized for 14trk operation via either mts1000 or ats500 along with two acc2 cables (each running to the synchronizer) and rca cables connected to each of the 238s' chnl 8 ports in and out. You'd designate one 238 as master, the second as slave. You'd select "ext" on the front panel of the designated slave as it's the one that will chaselock.

Setup procedure-wise, you'd first stripe smpte onto each 238 trk8, disable dbx on each trk8 (via back switches), set the baud rate on each to match baud rate on the synchronizer, and then run the synchronizer through its setup procedure to establish communication/learn/teach and finally synchronize all machines.

You'll then have a 14trk cassette.

I bought one of the first 238s to test back when they were first released in 87 or whatever.

While interesting at the time, I'll remind anyone who records one thing at a time that....using a single track of a current existing cassette machine....lets say a 202mk7...with no particular synchronization....as the front end of a signal (say a mixer)...and then routed to a mono input of a daw.....will give the same sound. A 14trk cassette sound on 14...or 1400trks of your daw. All while avoiding "rewind". You'd sorta have to nudge incoming tracks around to align once in the daw, but the idea is the same. You could even re-route tracks back through cassette a few gens. An analog mixer/console in between would be helpful for a bit of additional circuitry smear if you're gonna go down a few gens in the process.

Last edited:
Thank you for your replies!

I saw a video once on YT where two 238 were hooked together with some device and I found it interesting, as recording old school Black Metal Bands on the 238 is more some sort of hobby for me while my daily work is recording Black Metal Bands in Pro Tools. But if it takes sooo much effort to get two of them lined up I don't think I will be going for this.

Metal bands belong on Pro Tools as it is much easier to erase that way.

New threads

Members online

No members online now.